Author Topic: Getting started...  (Read 17993 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Getting started...
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »
I have a carbide resizing die for 38/357 but none yet for the 45.

I did lube the cases on a lube pad and cleaned them off with a shop towel before priming.

I flared the cases (too little the first time had to go another .06" deep), then set the powder to 5 grams using the old beam scale and loaded 50 rounds before seating the bullets to an OAL of 1.272" per the manual.

My wife went with me to buy Primers yesterday and this afternoon I told her that she needed to learn so she could load during the day while I was at work.  She rebuffed me and said not today because my parents were coming over (retired on the road in their RV-dad almost took out some arbrovidas for me).   ;D

So I have 50 rounds of 45 ACP reloaded ready for the range tomorrow-  200 grain cast RN over 5 grains of Bullseye on a CCI 300 with an OAL of 1.272" should get about 800 fps.  We shall see....
He who dares wins.  SAS

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »
I have a carbide resizing die for 38/357 but none yet for the 45.

I did lube the cases on a lube pad and cleaned them off with a shop towel before priming.

I flared the cases (too little the first time had to go another .06" deep), then set the powder to 5 grams using the old beam scale and loaded 50 rounds before seating the bullets to an OAL of 1.272" per the manual.

My wife went with me to buy Primers yesterday and this afternoon I told her that she needed to learn so she could load during the day while I was at work.  She rebuffed me and said not today because my parents were coming over (retired on the road in their RV-dad almost took out some arbrovidas for me).   ;D

So I have 50 rounds of 45 ACP reloaded ready for the range tomorrow-  200 grain cast RN over 5 grains of Bullseye on a CCI 300 with an OAL of 1.272" should get about 800 fps.  We shall see....

Nice work.   I am sure you meant 5 grains of powder instead of 5 grams.

Do you have a chrono?

Take care

Taper crimp is another thing to learn.  I always find I need more than I "feel" is enough.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »
The range I belong to has a few chronogrqaphs available to members but we are doing Easter dinner today and I have a few hours of homework to do today so my chances of getting out there this weekend are slim.

And yes I meant 5 grains  ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »
If you get a carbide sizing die, I would suggest one from Lee...

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 07:02:28 PM »
If you get a carbide sizing die, I would suggest one from Lee...
Sounds good.  What's the difference between dies from say Lee RCBS and Lyman?
He who dares wins.  SAS

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:47:04 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 07:06:21 PM »
Sounds good.  What's the difference between dies from say Lee RCBS and Lyman?

From what I've seen, mostly price.....For example, at Midway, you can get a 4-die carbide set of Lee dies for the same price as a 3-die set of RCBS. Lee includes a factory crimp die (which is one of their trade-marks).
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 07:53:46 PM »
Ah...  Gotcha... 

So I was looking at carbide dies and realized thy aren't solid carbide like the end mills I use so I took a closer look at my resizing die and guess what?  Yep, its carbide.... ;D ;D. I feel stoopid but its like finding extra money.
He who dares wins.  SAS

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 09:28:34 PM »
for a low working pressure .45acp it is not much of a problem, but if you reload higher pressure autoloader cartridges like 9mm and .40SW, some of the quicker unlocking autoloaders will produce ejected brass that is more deformed near the web area...the radius and shape of the carbide insert of a Lee die will typically size further down the case and solve most chambering problems... brass shot in open bolt sub machine guns typically will have to be rolled to get it back to a servicable diameter

I use Lee dies in both of my Dillon presses.... they just solve potential problems

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »
I use Lee dies in both of my Dillon presses.... they just solve potential problems

That is good to know.   By rolling the brass out of sub-guns do you mean in between two plates or ?  My club is having our annual Machine Gun Shoot at the end of May and I am volunteering so there is a possibility of getting some brass from many different types of guns.

I was talking to my dad about reloading some of his hunting rounds for him as well as investing in a Dillon 650, he had a 550 he never used but now that I am reloading he likes the idea.  I have room to set it up so we'll see ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 03:23:55 PM »
If you do decide to buy a Dillon 650, you might find this site useful.

http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.html

You will have a lot of questions about what is absolutely necessary, what will save you time and what is just nice to have....If you are planning on reloading multiple calibers, you will have even more questions.

You can find the answers at that site or in communication with him.

Good luck and take care.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk