Author Topic: Lefty AR's and an AA carbine piston conversion kit?  (Read 7646 times)

GlockMeister

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lefty AR's and an AA carbine piston conversion kit?
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:59:01 AM »
Is anyone EVER going to make a left handed bolt carrier for use with a carbine piston conversion kit? Preferably for use on/with a Stag Arms model 1L and the Adams Arms carbine piston conversion kit.

And yes, of course I called and spoke to Adams Arms and was told they have no plans on making one.

I know Stag Arms now makes the model 8 which is a piston system. But the odds of that left handed bolt carrier working with the Adams Arms system are probably pretty slim to none. And the other problem is Stag Arms isn't selling the piston system they use let alone any parts for it. No, I haven't called and asked if they plan on someday selling the piston system or parts for/of it or if they could tell me if it might or would work with the Adams Arms system.

And yes, a person can just get the Adams Arms carrier key and install it on their original bolt carrier or just get another Stag left handed bolt carrier but then they have to be concerned with and watch for and worry about carrier tilt?

They do now make anti-tilt buffers, but I know of no one that is left handed and has a left handed AR and that has also converted their left handed AR to piston and had carrier tilt issues or not and if so if they've gotten and tried one of these anti-tilt buffers and if so, if it works or not?

Why am I saying all this?

Because I'm a lefty, I have a left handed Stag Arms model 1L and I've also picked up an Adams Arms carbine conversion kit and would really like to use it.

The only thing causing me pause is the concern about carrier tilt.

I know, some of you might ask, why would you want to convert to a piston system?

I guess the only answer/s I could give to that question would be, because I can and/or because I want to. And it's cheaper for me to do this then to buy another complete rifle or upper with a piston system already on it.

Anyhow, if anyone has any input regarding left handed AR's, carbine piston systems and carrier tilt, and I suppose the anti-tilt buffers, and can offer input, opinions or help without being, well, you know, I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

dkingjr

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Lefty AR's and an AA carbine piston conversion kit?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 12:16:20 PM »
CMMG makes a left handed piston conversion kit.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=2194790&cat=169&

GlockMeister

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:09:55 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out.

The only problem, I already have the Adams Arms kit. Grrr

But, I need to find out what length the CMMG piston is and see if it's the same as Adams Arms or real close. Then, if it is, maybe, just maybe the CMMG left handed bolt carrier will work. But then the thing is, is it or will it, the CMMG left handed bolt carrier, be available or sold separately from the kit?

Either way you've given me another avenue to check.

I'm not going to rush converting it. The one thing that causes me to not be overly worried about if it works good or not is it can always be converted back.

So again, thanks for the 411 and link...

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:06:01 AM »
I don't see what the big deal is with carrier tilt, it beats the crap out of the buffer detent, so what, their about a dollar fifty each, and it takes a lot of rounds to do it.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »
I guess my question is, why bother? The AR is about as ambi as you can get. The only real disadvantage is the mag release. As a lefty, I operate the safety (selector switch in my dreams) with my trigger finger. The mag release, I use my off (right hand) thumb on the way back to drop the mag. That hand is going to be busy anyway getting to the new mag. It has to take a pause on the way, as opposed to using the trigger finger of the on hand to do it , but the time difference is negligable. The only issue is brass. I bought an el cheapo AR, the the DPMS Sportical which doesn't have a brass deflector or forward assist. Srew the FA, I never used one on GI issued A2s and don't expect that to change. The brass deflector concerned me. I thought I'd have to shell out for one. Wrong. I have about 250 rounds through the rifle and it wasn't an issue. Using a combo of Federal Lake City, PMC  and el cheapo Remingtons, it ejects far enough that its not been an issue except for one casing down my neck (which sucked). Still, with eye protection I wouldn't sweat it. Plus, should you need/want to sell it, an LH conversion makes it harder. Just my .02 as one lety to another.
FQ13 who still has a fine Hoyt LH bow for sale :'(

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:08:44 AM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »
I'm a lefty that shoots rifles right handed, but your dilemma is valid, but as far as manufacturers go, still an extreme minority.  :(

There are a few, but it will make your rifle unique, and my only advice would be to get specific lefty spare parts to keep in your stockpile.

If the SHTF, the right handed parts will go, but the lefty stuff will go even faster.

You know how hard I had to look for "left-handed" ammo? ;)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

GlockMeister

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »
I guess my question is, why bother? The AR is about as ambi as you can get. The only real disadvantage is the mag release. As a lefty, I operate the safety (selector switch in my dreams) with my trigger finger. The mag release, I use my off (right hand) thumb on the way back to drop the mag. That hand is going to be busy anyway getting to the new mag. It has to take a pause on the way, as opposed to using the trigger finger of the on hand to do it , but the time difference is negligable. The only issue is brass. I bought an el cheapo AR, the the DPMS Sportical which doesn't have a brass deflector or forward assist. Srew the FA, I never used one on GI issued A2s and don't expect that to change. The brass deflector concerned me. I thought I'd have to shell out for one. Wrong. I have about 250 rounds through the rifle and it wasn't an issue. Using a combo of Federal Lake City, PMC  and el cheapo Remingtons, it ejects far enough that its not been an issue except for one casing down my neck (which sucked). Still, with eye protection I wouldn't sweat it. Plus, should you need/want to sell it, an LH conversion makes it harder. Just my .02 as one lety to another.
FQ13 who still has a fine Hoyt LH bow for sale :'(

I believe the why bother was addressed. lol

As for the rest, I'm not sure what you're saying or trying to say. Because your post doesn't really address much of what I posted about?

But, as far as the mag release and lefty AR's go, although it costs like $90 bucks, I find the Norgon ambi-mag release works great and allows me as a lefty to use my trigger finger. Troy Industries has recently come out with a ambi- mag release also, and it's only $65 bucks? In fact, here's the link.

http://store.troyind.com/Ambidextrous_Magazine_Release_p/srel-amb-00bt-00.htm And I figured as long as I was at it I'd link their ambi safety. Unfortunately it costs more then the standard ambi safety levers out there.

http://store.troyind.com/Ambidextrous_Safety_Selector_p/ssaf-amb-s0bt-00.htm

As for the safety, again, I can go ambi and did on the AR I'm talking about. Not sure if I'd go ambi on the safety on another one or if I'd just put the existing one from the left onto the right side (if it's possible as I don't know if it is or if I'd have to get a right handed one) because I find as a lefty, using my trigger finger with the Norgon ambi to release the mag and at the same time or in the same motion I can flip the safety, if it's in the right, with my thumb. Sometimes having long or longer fingers can be a plus...

And FWIW, where the right handed AR made it hard for me and why I went with Stag because of the "true" lefty is and was because of being left eye dominant. I didn't want to go with a right handed AR and struggle trying to train myself to use my right eye. I wanted to get out there and just shoot.

GlockMeister

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:56:08 PM »
I'm a lefty that shoots rifles right handed, but your dilemma is valid, but as far as manufacturers go, still an extreme minority.  :(

There are a few, but it will make your rifle unique, and my only advice would be to get specific lefty spare parts to keep in your stockpile.

If the SHTF, the right handed parts will go, but the lefty stuff will go even faster.

You know how hard I had to look for "left-handed" ammo? ;)

First off, I got some left handed ammo for ya'. The only problem is it tends to pull to the right. lol

Anyhow, on the more serious aspect of your post, the SHTF and ability to find and get parts, whether they be for a left or right handed AR, I can completely agree to and with.

The fortunate, actually it's unfortunate because trust me, I'd rather be shooting da' crap out of it, but the thing is, I don't do a lot of shooting because where I'm at in Illinois there isn't many places for me to go to. For rifle I have to go into Wisconsin. So by the time and if and or when S may HTF, I don't think anything will be so worn that I'll have to replace anything. But I have gotten some stuff but it wasn't because of SHTF, but just because. But if, or rather when I convert this puppy to piston, some of those items will no longer be used or needed. That is unless I convert it back to direct impingement/gas or pick up another AR.

But the one thing I do plan on getting myself is an extra left handed bolt carrier assembly, obviously bolt included. Other then that, I'm not worried about much when it comes to SHTF or anything else.

And I suppose, FWIW, besides not being able to shoot much, the cost and availability, or lack there of, of defensive ammo, and ammo in general, is what also limits and prohibits my ability to go shooting often.

And trust me, if I had my choice I'd wear my Ar ut and anything else I have or may have, in a heart beat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk