Author Topic: Electric Cars  (Read 5395 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Electric Cars
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 03:31:51 PM »
I wish they would get their crap together and make them practical.
I like the idea of getting fuel from wind and sunlight.
Solar and wind might not be practical on a large scale, but I'm not large scale.   ;D
Like sail, all you need is time, and maybe a sacrificial chicken.   ;D  ;D

sammy00

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 08:13:57 AM »
I like electric cars. The environmental friendliness of the electric car is its huge advantage. Another advantage is that the car is very quiet and does not require large maintenance costs. But there are big downsides.

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 09:01:31 AM »
I like electric cars. The environmental friendliness of the electric car is its huge advantage. Another advantage is that the car is very quiet and does not require large maintenance costs. But there are big downsides.

Enviromental friendliness ?
They sure have you conned.
Where do the get the Rare Earth materials for the battery ?
Strip mines.
Where does that toxic battery go when it needs replacing ?
The landfill.
A diesel 18 wheeler doesn't pollute as much as one of those little shitboxes.
Big down sides ?
Yes, I would consider potential acid spills to be a bit of a downside.

Doesn't ANYBODY think any more ?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 09:34:32 AM »
Besides the manufacturing cost on the environment, the biggest down side is the limited range.

I owned a Leaf for 2 years, thanks to Federal and State rebates plus charging it at work most days I actually made money.  But the anxiety of the recharge is a big downer and the time to recharge is a killer.   I have a friend that use to drive from ATL to Huntsville every month.  She had it planned out so she stopped at a dealer in Rome, GA, go a snack while they did a 3phase 240volt recharge in 30minutes.  Then stopped again outside Ft Payne, AL and repeated. 

Saw an ad for an all electric twin engine general aviation aircraft.  Seats 4 I believe and had a range of....  wait for it, 375miles.   Taking away 10% for emergency that would get you from ATL to Lake City, FL where you would then wait to "refuel" before you could proceed.   You wouldn't be able to make Miami or Key West without an additional stop over. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 02:38:46 PM »
Yes.
For now they are just feel good toys for Yuppie's.
Let that Pleasanton company get a 25,000 year battery though...

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:23:15 PM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2021, 06:48:05 AM »
Save your money. Electric cars are like Covid. 99% bull$h!t, and they get far more press than either one deserve. And it's only because both are being pushed by liberals.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2021, 08:31:48 AM »
Olive00 is a bot.

Electric cars will be great for the oil and gas industry.  By the time you generate the power and transmit the power to your home/wherever you've lost any of the efficiencies they talk about.  Until electricity is transmitted on lines made of room temperature superconductors the savings are a fraud.  First, you generate the electricity....next you have to get it from the generator station to your home.  Once it is in your house you can lose several % through your own internal wiring.  Then you have to charge the battery and wait for it....you also lose when you discharge the battery! 

http://insideenergy.org/2015/11/06/lost-in-transmission-how-much-electricity-disappears-between-a-power-plant-and-your-plug/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360544217303730

I hope the idiots running the country into the ground keep pushing the electric car farce. 

If there was such a thing as transmission lines and home wiring made of room temperature superconductors (OK...they exist you can't afford them) and batteries with no internal resistance it may be different.  But it's not. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2021, 02:59:48 PM »
Olive00 is a bot.

10 Posts ?

I'm beginning to think he may just be non-American/ non-English speaking.
The last couple of his posts I've seen were awkward, but on Topic.
That's more than you can say for the rest of us.    ;D   ;D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 08:02:45 AM »
The federal infrastructure bill is pushing electric vehicle charging stations.  Seems as though there is federal money available with some in the form of grants. 

I just might get into that business.  I have some property well situated for that on one of the routes that they want chargers.....

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1447
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 08:40:27 AM »
The federal infrastructure bill is pushing electric vehicle charging stations.  Seems as though there is federal money available with some in the form of grants. 

This brings up a question. When you "fill up" with gas it only takes a few moments. How long does it take to charge your car and are people willing to wait that long? I was under the assumption that charging cars took some time.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk