Author Topic: hard cases....  (Read 3161 times)

Timothy

Re: hard cases....
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 10:41:58 AM »
You scrap it because you got the measurements wrong.   ;D
We never had any trouble on the punch press, which is by far, the fastest and easiest way.
Where problems showed up was forgetting, or reversing the "Bend Allowance", (Heard it called "R factor" in Ca. )
It's standard at half a material thickness per bend, but it's + in one direction and - in the other.
Also that standard assumes 90 degree bends.   ;D
It's actually easy enough, you just have to pay attention.

25 years ago, I’d agree that a punch press was faster than a laser system.  Since then, laser tech has advanced by leaps and bounds.  Tolerance was the same regardless and punching metal over 1/4” mild steel was tough on tooling.  When I started in the shop back in 96, we had two turret punches and a small Amanda laser.  Today, they have only the two lasers remaining and the shop output is 400-500% more productive. 

My last gig, we had just a crusty old punch/laser system the company bought used off of EBay.  I convinced the management to invest in a 4KW Co2 laser system.  They did and the shop throughput went up exponentially and our sales doubled!  If the dipshit GM and Plant manager had placed the machine in a better location and installed the factory lift system, with the proper placement of raw materials, who knows?

Buying the right equipment and using it poorly is stupid.  Another issue we faced was ignorant engineers that expected more than the equipment was designed to produce and belittling a competent operator when it didn’t produce what it was not designed to produce.

Moral of this?  Most engineers are ignorant assholes…..

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 12:53:46 PM »
You do know I was a structural  engineer right?   Most just know what the book says, many don't even know that.  I was working for one the largest firms on the planet and had to explain to a project lead that torque to yield bolts can not be removed and reused.   Its in the name dumb ass.... torque to yeild.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 01:10:21 PM »

Buying the right equipment and using it poorly is stupid.  Another issue we faced was ignorant engineers that expected more than the equipment was designed to produce and belittling a competent operator when it didn’t produce what it was not designed to produce.

Moral of this?  Most engineers are ignorant assholes…..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That.         ::)

Timothy

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 01:17:28 PM »
You do know I was a structural  engineer right?   Most just know what the book says, many don't even know that.  I was working for one the largest firms on the planet and had to explain to a project lead that torque to yield bolts can not be removed and reused.   Its in the name dumb ass.... torque to yeild.

Yes, I learned that in high school!

TAB, you’ve proven here for years that you’re the exception to the rule! 

Starting at the bottom and working to an engineering position with no degree myself.  I earned the respect of my management and subordinates alike!

Military service does that to a man!

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 07:20:19 PM »
Yes, I learned that in high school!

TAB, you’ve proven here for years that you’re the exception to the rule! 

Starting at the bottom and working to an engineering position with no degree myself.  I earned the respect of my management and subordinates alike!

Military service does that to a man!
I think the difference is between "learning it", and "doing it"
You can design a bridge in a classroom and get the idea. 
It's different when you need to get yourself across that river.
Neither Caesar or Patton used paperwork to cross the Rhine, they just used a SH!TLOAD of guys who knew how to build bridges.   ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:17:23 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 08:04:10 PM »
That’s why one of the few charities I donate to is Mike Rowe Works!  He’s given out $5,000,000 worth is scholarships for trade schools to try and fill the skills gap!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2021, 03:38:45 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2021, 06:45:30 AM »
I've never looked at one of those Bill.  If you are one of their club members, the price is only $120.  I may look one over today...but they do look heavy at 22 lbs and I saw a couple of comments knocking the wheels and latches.  I don't know what a similar Pelican case weighs, but there shouldn't be too much difference in weight? 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2021, 08:53:57 AM »
That’s why one of the few charities I donate to is Mike Rowe Works!  He’s given out $5,000,000 worth is scholarships for trade schools to try and fill the skills gap!

You got a link to that ?
If I can put up with Patreon's BS to donate to C&Rsenal, and Forgotten Weapons then Mike Rowes site shouldn't baffle me.
It's one of the best causes and it never comes up when people talk about donations.

Timothy

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 09:59:45 AM »
You got a link to that ?
If I can put up with Patreon's BS to donate to C&Rsenal, and Forgotten Weapons then Mike Rowes site shouldn't baffle me.
It's one of the best causes and it never comes up when people talk about donations.

https://www.mikeroweworks.org/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk