Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 11409 times)

tombogan03884

Windows 10
« on: September 16, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »
Is windows 10 any better than  8.1?

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 02:52:53 PM »
From what I heard it's full of spyware and other crap you don't want but if you know what you're doing you can turn off a lot of it. I plan on keeping what I have and not updating to Windows 10. I also heard you have to pay for apps for things that should be free like realtek audio.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
Guess I'll stick with what I got !

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 05:02:28 PM »
Hi;

Not a 'puter geek here , but from reading others comments in other forums most like it as it is far better than win 8.  Those who question or complain about Win 10 are not too 'puter savey like me and need the help of others to disable,disarm - do away with some of the apps in win 10.

A few comments were that when "they" put Win 10 together - they loaded it up with "extra" stuff thinking everyone would appreciate it all.

"they" did not think of us non savey and leary of Big Brother types. also people like me that barely know what they can/are doing with a 'puter.

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 06:58:57 PM »
They're giving it away to some of us with Win 7 or 8.

Took a look and decided against it.  Took me a few weeks to rid myself of the "auto upgrade" shit they put on my system.

I'm done with Microsoft.  Won't buy another...

I picked up a year old used iPad for 50 bucks from a friend of my kid.  I usemy Windows laptop less these days.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:04:46 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:54:58 PM »
Another thing I don't like can be disabled but shouldn't be there in the first place. It's set to use file sharing and your bandwidth to update other people's computers.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 06:04:56 AM »
I'll stick with W8 I'm  like Dipisc, I know point, click, and type and don't want to be bothered with having to turn off a lot of crap I don't even know is there.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 07:13:49 AM »
I recently advised a "customer" (I guess parishioner would be more accurate) to not upgrade his existing computer.   He thought that I, being a technology guru, would always want the latest and greatest.

What I advised him was that Win 10 isn't an upgrade but a new product.   That Win 7/8 will be supported for the time being.  And unless there just was some feature of Win10 he couldn't live without there was no reason to upgrade.   No reason to live through the hassles, bugs and learning curve of a new product.  By the time he replaces his existing computer we'll have moved on to Win11 or 12.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »
The older your computer the less likely you will be pleased with an early release of Win 10.

Drivers for older components might not yet be available for Win 10. 

It is the responsibility of the device manufacture to provide the driver to make it work with Win 10, and they will do so based on how many of a particular device model they expect to sell soon.  Older, outdated devices will be at the bottom of the list..some not on it  at all.

Waiting for a future release will improve the odds that the drivers you need will be available.  It will also give the real Gurus a chance to document how to overcome, hopefully, all the crap that is "built-in"

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 11:33:49 AM »
Where I do my day job we stuck with XP until we just couldn't anymore. We are now with Windows 7, as 8 is maddening. We do not intend to go to 10 either. We have ironed out about 70% of the bugs, but some we may never fix and are just learning new ways to do some things.

Occasionally on Facebook I'll see something about Bill Gates. Usually it's the picture of him holding a sign with that bogus "Share this and I'll send you $5,000".  Anyway, I NEVER miss a chance no matter what the post, even if it' about Gates' philanthropic activities....I always comment with something like, "Why don't you spend some of that obscene amount of money you have fixing your shitty software"?.

Just a little thing I do.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk