Author Topic: Did ya miss me?  (Read 3662 times)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Did ya miss me?
« on: May 04, 2017, 04:30:12 PM »
Don't answer that!

As some of you know, my wife and I have a Can-Am Spyder motorcycle.  We just got back from Spyderfest 2017 which is a gathering of 1000 + Spyders.  Our trip started with 35 degree temps and 20 degrees or less wind chill !  We weren't able to shed any of our cold weather gear until about 80 miles away from our destination, Springfield Missouri but we did manage to ryde in shirtsleeves.  That was the only time for that to happen on the entire trip.  We did manage to get some fun organized rydes in but other times we were plagued with historic rain and thunder storms.  We had to delay our return by a day so that the storms had a chance to move East.  This gave us the opportunity to ryde back with 3 other Spyders from our club.  With the heavy rains came flooding which closed the major route between Springfield and St. Louis in at least two places!  The easiest route back was 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer than our planned route but at least we made it.  Didn't have any rain to speak of during the 2 day trip back but we did have high winds both days.  Not only was this stressful but it only added to the fatigue factor.  Start to finish we covered 2350 + trouble free miles and added 4 states to our list of those visited on our Spyder.  If we do it again, we will probable trailer the bike and only ryde there.  We are getting too old for longer rydes but I will say we were by no means the oldest there!
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Ranger Dave

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: Did ya miss me?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
Glad you enjoyed your trip and got home safe.
RD

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 06:34:04 PM »
My rig is a conventional trike with a VW engine powering it.  Bunny and I are taking it up to North Carolina in about a month.  There's a ride there called the Dragon's Tail (I think) that covers a good portion of mountain road and is a "must" for bikers.

Don't envy your ride in the coldest weather--even when you have a nice sled like the Spyder.  I wouldn't attempt it on my bike (or at my age).

As they say, keep on keepin' on and keep the shiny side up.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Timothy

Did ya miss me?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 07:03:42 PM »
"Tail of the Dragon". Deals Gap.

Never had the pleasure!  Always wanted to...

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 07:13:18 PM »
CR,  be very  careful  on  the  tail !  Lots  of  fools doing  lots  of  stupid  stuff .  Bikes  and /or parts  thereof  in  the  trees .  Sport  bikers  dumping .  Occasionally  a  semi  will  get  on  even  though  they  aren't  allowed  and  cause  a  big  mess . 

Richard 

PS:  I'm  70  and  even  on  the  Spyder  it  is  tough !  Hands  and  arms  took  a  beating  in  the  wind !
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:25:36 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:41:31 PM »
Glad you made it back okay. There are a lot of boneheads on the road and I wouldn't feel safe in anything smaller than a full-size pickup. With that many miles I would have saddle sores along with a bunch of aches and pains.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 05:55:17 AM »
Sounds lie fun.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 08:31:30 AM »
Yes, I did miss you.  But be patient, my aim is getting better
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 06:39:36 AM »
Arrggghhhh...that was funny Mike.

Ellis that rain was something...you weren't but a hop & a skip from Tulsa and we were drowning here.  Did you trip on down to Branson?

I accidentally did the Tail of the Dragon coming back home from Cullowhee.  I thought I'd like the scenery on a "little used and minor" road...as it appeared on the map.  Wow.  I did the thing in my F250 diesel...it tired me out going round and round.  I bet it is a lot of fun on a bike...
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 02:35:00 PM »
I took a quick look at a site that starts out: "Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road." No thanks.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk