Author Topic: SBR upper on a non SBR lower  (Read 11588 times)

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SBR upper on a non SBR lower
« on: July 31, 2010, 01:35:47 PM »
I know, you are thinking "Someone is going to get himself in trouble!"

But my question is, can I submit paperwork to the BATF so I can get the permit to make my AR a short barreled rifle (SBR)?

I can't find anything that says you can't put a regular length upper on a SBR. So, could I register mine as an SBR and then use my 18 inch barrel on also?

Does the rifle have to be registered as a SBR at the time of manufacture or just when it is sold or created?

I know that you can't just slap the 10 inch barrel on a regular lower, so don't tell me you can't and waste your breath.

devildog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: SBR upper on a non SBR lower
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:55:35 PM »
You have to register your lower befor you can build an SBR, you cant even own the barrel until that is done. As far as changing out the upper from SBR to a legal length to go hunting or what ever, yes you can do that at any time. If you go to the ATF web site under the F A Q on SBRs, a lot of your questions can be answered. By the way, if you would keep your sarcasm out of your posts, you might get quicker answers!, ::) I know that you can't just slap the 10 inch barrel on a regular lower, so don't tell me you can't and waste your breath. Good luck, Tom

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:02:34 PM »
Heck, for me it's the sarcasm that gets the answers  ;D

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:51:01 AM »
By the way, if you would keep your sarcasm out of your posts, you might get quicker answers!,

Fine, here is some non-sarcasm. Stick it in your ear!
I have heard more than one person tell me that you can't "Insert something here" when they really didn't know what they were talking about. So I guess my "Sarcasm" worked, I didn't get some schmuck telling me that it couldn't be done. I sure wish I would have put something in about "don't be such a sensitive little girly."

So, don't tell me what to say in my posts to get a quicker answer, and I won't tell you how to make your wife happy, like I did. ;)

devildog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:46:21 AM »
Well, I tell you what!, I'm new here, might not last long, but so be it!. If it wasnt for dumb as#'s like you, were a simple google of the ATF web site could answer all of your questions, but no, you want to be lazy and ask for help, then be a smart as# only shows your ignorance. Next time you post a dumb as# question and dont get any replies, think of the way you ask the question!. OH!, by the way, my wife says I have nothing to worry about, between you having such a little pecker and the fact you blew your load in your pants, I can be confident that I can keep her happy, your mother agreas!.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:42:01 PM »

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 11:12:47 AM »
now now boys play nice!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »
Alright, both of you cool it.

First of all Thanos, the way you titled the thread answers the question. NO YOU CANNOT PUT A SBR UPPER ON A NON SBR LOWER. That is illegal. However in reading your post. Yes you can submit the paperwork to have your lower classified as an SBR. After you obtain that approval you can pretty much put any length barrel you want on it. Whether it be 10" or 30" It no longer matters because the lower is registered for any barrel configuration.

As for you Devildog, many of us use this site as an informational resource. Especially the weapons catagories. Thanos asked a legitimate question, albeit he was an asshat about it. So don't be to quick to judge the people here until you understand what we are all about. And if you are that quick to jump on someone, I think you would have some fun in the politics section.  ;D
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

devildog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:11:49 PM »
Heck, I am cool, and I never judge anyone over what they say on the net., you know, I come here for the same reasons you do!, if I offended Thanos by saying he should keep the sarcasm out of his post, thats his problem. He asked the question, I gave him his answer, he got cute with his responce, I got a little cut'er when he brought my wife into it, thats it. Am I offended by his post, hell no!, I like to have a little fun every now and then!. ;D

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »
It no longer matters because the lower is registered for any barrel configuration.

Well, see now that I have a consensus on that you can register a Ar as an SBR and put a longer barrel on it. There arises another question, what happens when you bring into a state a SBR with a 20 inch upper? It is registered as an SBR, with or without the SBR upper, it is still registered as an SBR and it is a class 3 felony in my state to have any component of a SBR.

So, is it the barrel or the lower that is the SBR when they are disassembled? I would say the barrel, because I can have a lower but the SBR upper is restricted, but the issue runs into the fact that the lower is the part with the serial number on the tax stamp.

Oh, devildog, I didn't know that you called your wife's mouth "Pants" and my mom is dead...you satisfied a dead lady that is rotting in a grave? You are sick.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »
Thanos,  What does a State have to do with it?  It is a Fed registration.  Most states (other than maybe Commiefornia and NaziJersy) don't register anything.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk