Author Topic: suggest new thread  (Read 4578 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
suggest new thread
« on: June 08, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
Hi Guys, I am suggesting a completely new thread, that would deal with tips and tricks that we have learned and are willing to share. Also, it would be very beneficial to start an index, I don't have the resources, or I would volunteer and Mr Masterson has done this on a small scale with FAQ'S.

I worked with leather heavily for about 5 years, making carry holsters and competition holsters. I could not afford the great ones, like Bianchi or Ernie Hill, not to mention, I kept purchasing pistols that were new on the market that good leather wasn't available for. Then came along Bill Rogers/Safariland, with kydex,  I bought many of those and remolded them for my own use and then for others. 2 even made it to the Bianchi Cup!

I will start the 1st list,  and see where it goes.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: suggest new thread
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 11:18:32 PM »
SOME TIPS

1) cardboard makes an excellent leather substitute, for making patterns. I do mean the corrugated type, used for boxes. It's about the right thickness, cuts easy,  molds well, glues well and you can put it in a plastic bag, labeled for the type of pistol and use it for a lot more to come.

2) when making black holsters, stain it black first and then dye it, this will avoid that sometimes purple or bluish tint.

3) treating tanned leather with neats foot oil (lightly of course) and leaving in direct sunlight, gives a beautiful peanut color without dye. ( learned that from John Bianchi )

4) you can weather proof the inside of a holster or knife sheath,  by melting paraffin based candles directly onto the leather before gluing and stitching. The leather will soak it up like a sponge. Be sure to stay away from the areas you want to glue.

5)  a small strip of kydex makes a great reinforced opening medium,  for holding the mouth open when holstering. Just mold into a rough U shape 1/2"wide and sew it in.

6)  muffler tubing can make great punches for belt slots in holsters, by 1st flattening one end to the desired shape, width and height, then sharpen. Cheap too.

7) raid the kitchen for old cookie cutters, they make great impressions for carving,  like stars, moons or animal shapes.

8) if you hand stitch, invest in a stitching horse or something to hold the work besides your knees, an hr or 2 in that position will stress your gonads in a way that takes a long time to get over.

9) I do pre - drill using a 1/16th bit and a drill press. If you are making a holster with a welt, is just about mandatory.  Waxed linen thread is my favorite. A short pair of needle nose pliers will save your fingers and thumb from pulling up on the needle.

10) scraps of thick leather or canvas make good edge burnishers. Also make good vise jaw covers. Xanthum gum works really well for a hard/slick edge.

11)  if you work with kydex, keep a bowl of cold water and a wet sponge or rag to spot cool an area quickly, use as a heat sink to protect areas you don't want heat, and to apply to your skin if you burn yourself.

That's a good start, I look forward to more.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Very Active Forum Member
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • Liked:
Re: suggest new thread
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:27:31 PM »
Nice idea M25. Lets see where it goes, and probably sticky it eventually!
Thanks! DM
Proprietor of Plum Creek Leather Works - Old West Gunleather
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm
Friend of www.runniron.com
SASS #51139L
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk