Author Topic: EU chief says, "Vacationing a human right"  (Read 5577 times)

WatchManUSA

• NRA Life Member - Join the NRA!
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
EU chief says, "Vacationing a human right"
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:35:20 PM »
If this is in Europe can it be that far off from being part of the Obama agenda?  You can't make this stuff up fast enough...

Full Article: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/news/Vacationing+human+right+chief+says/2924330/story.html

The European Union has declared travelling a human right, and is launching a scheme to subsidize vacations with taxpayers' dollars for those too poor to afford their own trips.

Antonio Tajani, the European Union commissioner for enterprise and industry, proposed a strategy that could cost European taxpayers hundreds of millions of euros a year, The Times of London reports.

"Travelling for tourism today is a right. The way we spend our holidays is a formidable indicator of our quality of life," Mr. Tajani told a group of ministers at The European Tourism Stakeholders Conference in Madrid on April 15. Mr. Tajani was appointed to his post by Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

The plan -- just who gets to enjoy the travel package has yet to be determined -- would see taxpayers footing some of the vacation bill for seniors, youths between the ages of 18 and 25, disabled people, and families facing "difficult social, financial or personal" circumstances. The disabled and elderly can also be accompanied by one other person. The EU and its taxpayers are slated to fund 30% of the cost of these tours, which could range from youth exploring abandoned factories and power plants in Manchester to retirees taking discount trips to Madrid, all in the name of cultural appreciation.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." (Groucho Marx)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: EU chief says, "Vacationing a human right"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:54:27 PM »
Travel, defined as the right to leave your own country and settle in any nation that is willing to take you in, IS a human right. Its called voting with your feet Vactions? You have got to be sh@tting me Pyle! I have no other words to describe this. Forget high taxation and big government. Lets just take those as a given in Europe. Still, tell me there are not six thousand more pressing concerns that the EU could spend the money on rather than this. They are paying to give college kids a Euro-rail pass for a back packing trip and send old farts on a cruise. I would immediately point out to those who critisized me on the foreign policy thread that this is because we, as in you and me, are paying for their freaking national defense. TW, Path, M25 are you listening?
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:38:50 AM »
FQ, You may be to young to remember the Soviet "InTourist Tours"   ;D

I actually got to see them in practice, You're thinking "Love Boatski".  ;D
I saw "People Freighter".
You may be picturing the crowds of Japanese Tourists in NY and DC.
More like a herd of greedy sheeple in bad suits, They want ALL that neat stuff, but first to buy that greatest Western extravagance,... TOILET PAPER !

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:01:56 AM »
We already have free vacations.

They only last a weekend and you have to look at some land in North Carolina, but, hey, it's FREE.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:34:37 AM »
You have the right to the PURSUIT of happiness.  No guarantee you will get it.
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:45:55 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:42:14 AM »
You have the right to the PURSUIT of happiness.  No guarantee you will get it.

Exactly.  Equal opportunity is what is promised, not equal success at taking advantage of it.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:17:55 AM »
But, but, but...  I wanna free trip to Hawaii.  It's my right and I shouldn't have to pay for my right.  And, and, and... I wanna stay in the penthouse at the Sheraton, and, and, and I wanna eat lobster and prime rib.  So what I can't afford it.  You're no better than me, and you get to go. 

we have done such a great job raising an entitlement generation

sheesh... ::)
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:24:04 AM »
I want a free trip to the States 
But, but, but...  I wanna

we have done such a great job raising an entitlement generation

sheesh... ::)

it happens everywhere    ::)
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 09:28:13 AM »
Prime rib and lobster?.....

Maybe we should think about this.. :D :D

And we could have it with Phil  :D :D
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 09:29:26 AM »
I want a free trip to the States 
it happens everywhere    ::)

Phil, I got a bedroom for you if you can generate the trip money. ;D
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk