Author Topic: FN-FAL  (Read 10996 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: FN-FAL
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 11:26:45 AM »
I'd like to get an FAL and a M1A some day, but money has been a little tight lately.  Was at a gu show several months ago and thought I found a reasonably priced M1A.  Had to stand in line quite awhile yp get in and was talking to the guy next to me.  He mentioned he had a M-14 he wanted to sell.  I thought he meant a M1A.  Ilooked at it later that day.  It was semiauto and had a TRW receiver.  I'm not very knowledgeable on these and as near as I could find out there were never any TRW receivers released to the public.  I was afraid that it might have been a stolen receiver or a reweld so I stayed clear of it.
 Aim Surplus has some DSA FALs available right now.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/DSA__Inc._.38_7.62x51_STG58_FAL_Rifle.html
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
I also love the FAL, owned two first a Belgium 50.63 in Germany with a Douglas Premium Match barrel and second a Springfiled Armory SAR-48 Bush rifle.  Also handle and fired an orginal T48 US Army test FAL made by H&R that compeited against the M14, that one had the stripper clip guide on the reciever cover.  The Ljungman and Hakim are not related to the FAL as they use the gas impingent system later used on the AR10/M16/AR15.  The FN49 was designed before the outbreak of WWII by Dieudonne Saive (who also finished the HiPower pistol) worked for FN and then fled Belgium, he offered it to the British but they had to get Enfields fielded.  I had a Venesualian model 49 in 7x57.
I've also carried the M14 and FAL in Iraq.  Here's a pick of the FAL that I carried there, it also has the happy switch which I have learned to shoot the rifle in full auto controlable.

Just remembered another story of finding FALs in Kuwait in 2000.  EOD uncovered three FN manufactured FALs that were buried since 91'.  Two of the three rifles were just cleaned up and fired well (M118 Match is too long for the mag).  I fired abouit 1000rds thru those two FALs without any issues.
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 12:31:11 PM »
Great info on the FN. Thanks, as well, for sharing your interesting experiences.

Interesting info on Saive and the FN49. I love this site and learn something new almost every day. As I understand it, Saive designed all of the HiPower and only used JMBs locking system. Browning generally gets the credit for the full design.

I don't take anything away from John Browing. IMHO, the greatest firearms designer ever. Look at how many off his designs have stood the test of time.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »
Diver, welcome aboard, glad to see you here. Care to stop by the Cafe and find the New Member thread, introduce yourself, and what you're up to in the sandbox? As much as you can anyhow . . .  8)  :-X
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 01:13:33 PM »
He already did, Path.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:37:33 PM »

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 11:45:02 PM »
Couple more things....

The FN49 had a good reputation for realibility during the Korean war right along with the M1 Garand.  Most of those were carried by Belgium and Netherland troops attached to the UN.  Those rifles were chambered for the most produced chambering the 30-06.

The M14 I carried in Iraq in 04' was a National Match TRW rilfe that I also shot the All Army Match with in 06".  Iron sights out to 1000yds.  In 05-06' kept a 50.61 folding stock, std bbl select fire in my HMMVE, along with my M4, M79, MP5K.  Last year in Iraq had the above pictured FAL along side my M4.  I like the adjustable sights on the M14 but as a battle rifle to engage troops out to 400m I prefer the FAL.  Only modifications I did to the M14 was install a Springfield Army Scout rail to allow mounting of an EOtech 552.  The FAL just needs a DSA reciever cover to mount an optic.

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 06:21:59 AM »
Combat Diver -- welcome to the forum and thanks for standing the line

I also like the way you think.  I like all my battle rifles but the FALs are my favorite

NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 05:06:42 PM »
Combat Diver -- welcome to the forum and thanks for standing the line

I also like the way you think.  I like all my battle rifles but the FALs are my favorite

KPR,  YOUR M1A is MY favorite, but the longer FAL comes in a close second.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 06:59:32 PM »
Have always dreamed of owning a FN-FAL when I was young. The older I get the more I have to agree with Blackwolfe about the fondness of the M1A. Gun show next weekend and looking forward to seeing how many deals can be made!!!

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 02:35:23 AM »
KPR,

Very nice collection sir,

:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk