Author Topic: First it was Wayne Lapierre and the NRA, now it is USPSA…  (Read 567 times)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
First it was Wayne Lapierre and the NRA, now it is USPSA…
« on: February 14, 2024, 02:15:16 PM »
USPSA is the United Practical Shooting Association.

It is the American arm of the International Practical Shooting Confederation (Ip-Sick).

To make a long story short USPSA HQ was or is in charge on putting on the various national levels matches.  It came to light recently that somehow HQ was going in the hole by about $600,000 for each nationals level match they put on.

In previous years, HQ would group the nationals by like calling it “The Hi Cap Nat’s” which would be for the open division  and limited division guns.  Then there would be the “Lo Cap Nat’s” for Production division guns and revolvers.  And then there would be a separate Single Stack Nat’s for 1911’s.

USPSA HQ is kinda run like a franchise.  The local clubs/ranges were like franchisees….kinda like Mickey Dee’s.

The local clubs were responsible for forwarding $3 per shooter for their classifier stage score to be submitted.  IIRC, there was also an additional two or three dollars per shooter tacked on for an”activity fee”.

So with the latest money fiasco and other shenanigans, a lot of clubs have decided to dis-affiliate from USPSA.  They would continue putting on matches, but they would call them “outlaw matches” or “hit factor” matches.

Some of the BoD members at HQ tried to curb that by applying for a trademark for “hit factor”.

They got to learn first hand what the “Streissand effect” is.

So they legally/officially abandoned that trademark’ing effort.

Anywhoooo… it is quite the soap opera drama llama train wreck that has been unfolding.

Which is a shame really because it kind of is Jeff Cooper’s legacy.  In fact, one of Cooper’s classifier stages called the El Presidente or El Prez is still in use after 30 plus years.  Shooting that stage in under 4 seconds is akin to running a 4 minute mile.

USPSA/IPSC spun up some big names in the shooting sports:

Rob Leatham
Doug Koenig
Jerry Barnhart
Brian Enos (yes, the forum creator)
Jerry Miculek

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: First it was Wayne Lapierre and the NRA, now it is USPSA…
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 05:19:54 PM »
I think it's a genuine hot steaming mess at this point. At SHOT people kept stopping me and telling me one more bad thing after the other. I have no idea how they're going to sort all this crap out...

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 05:28:11 PM »
This is tragic.  I'm on the outside but this looks a lot like whoever is voted in as prez is pretty much a figurehead?  That leaves the staff with all the power and no real accountability if that assessment is correct?

Ya'll can delete my post but running that thing on the left coast in a liberal state just above Seattle...not the best decision in my book.  It should be headquartered "in the thick of it" which I doubt is Washington state.

My 2 cents as a non-member.   That and...a forensic accounting consultant to determine where the blood letting wounds are.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 05:35:03 PM »
Small group dynamics always sucks.

mb

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 06:47:17 PM »
I think it's a genuine hot steaming mess at this point. At SHOT people kept stopping me and telling me one more bad thing after the other. I have no idea how they're going to sort all this crap out...

mb

I have heard/read that a lot of sponsors have jumped ship.

Even the Sig Academy has stopped hosting USPSA matches.

I think for the time being outlaw “hit factor” matches and Practical Competition Shooting League matches will fill the void.

https://www.pcsleague.com/

Sponsor

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 07:31:01 PM »
This is tragic.  I'm on the outside but this looks a lot like whoever is voted in as prez is pretty much a figurehead?  That leaves the staff with all the power and no real accountability if that assessment is correct?

Ya'll can delete my post but running that thing on the left coast in a liberal state just above Seattle...not the best decision in my book.  It should be headquartered "in the thick of it" which I doubt is Washington state.

My 2 cents as a non-member.   That and...a forensic accounting consultant to determine where the blood letting wounds are.

I used to be a volunteer (as in not paid) match director for both USPSA and Steel Challenge.  That was about 12 years ago.

What still grinds my gears to this day is HQ never put anything in place to help new clubs get cardboard targets and steel targets at a discounted price.  At that time, 12 years ago, the going rate for full size 42” tall pepper poppers was $250 each. 

To get our first set of Steel Challenge targets one of my regular shooters requested a grant from the NRA.  They were nice enough to send us a $5,000 check. 

I absolutely agree with you that some forensic accounting firm needs to go through their books with a fine tooth comb.

HQ just announced two weeks ago that they were going to jack up the match entry fee for the 2024 National matches to $400 per entry.

There were 420 competitors at the 2019 Hi Cap Nat’s.

ASSuming that there are 50 Range Officers and staff for the match, that knocks it down to 370 paying customers.

That still comes out to $148,000 .

I am ASSuming the competitors still have to pay for their stay at the match hotel out of their own pockets (it has never been mandatory to stay at the match hotel, but I understand after X amount of rooms get paid for by the competitors, the hotel usually comps the rooms for the RO’s and staff). 

Somehow I get this feeling that HQ will not be getting anywhere close to 420 shooters competing at any Nat’s level event this year.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 03:43:30 AM »
I've never participated in a match but for years I read the results that were posted in American Rifleman. From everything I saw back then they used a lot of pepper poppers, had lines of them to shoot. I just looked them up and the first place I saw them for sale they were $385.00. So, if you had 5 or 6 in a row, that would be $1,925 or $2,310 just for that stage. A club would have to spend serious money to buy all their targets without some kind of group discount.

As for the current situation at USPSA, as with Mr. LaPierre at NRA, as it is with many other groups, s**t floats to the top.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 12:30:55 PM »
I've neverparticipated in a match but for years I read the results that were posted in American Rifleman. From everything I saw back then they used a lot of pepper poppers, had lines of them to shoot. I just looked them up and the first place I saw them for sale they were $385.00. So, if you had 5 or 6 in a row, that would be $1,925 or $2,310 just for that stage. A club would have to spend serious money to buy all their targets without some kind of group discount.

As for the current situation at USPSA, as with Mr. LaPierre at NRA, as it is with many other groups, s**t floats to the top.

There are a few USPSA classifier stages that have pepper poppers and mini-poppers in / on them.

I just did a quick bing image search:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=uspsa+classifier+stage+diagrams&form=HDRSC3&first=1

Of course, HQ dictated that you had to have at least one classifier stage per each (monthly) match.  The HQ said that only once per year could a local club have an all classifier stage match.

At the local, club level having extra steel targets and movers allowed us stage designers and match directors to be more creative with stage designs.  In turn, that makes the stages more fun and challenging for the competitors.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 12:35:11 PM »
True.

Catalina

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 01:02:12 PM »
The general debasement of society creeps into once proud and august activities.

Victor Davis Hanson Diagnoses The Dying Citizen
https://www.hoover.org/research/victor-davis-hanson-diagnoses-dying-citizen-1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk