Author Topic: True Blue powder recommended for competition load  (Read 4466 times)

GeorgeCook

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
True Blue powder recommended for competition load
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:47:57 PM »
I was shooting a new load at the USPSA GA State Championship this weekend. My chrono screens were out so I was just going with the recipe. I thought I was in trouble because the shots felt like they were minor power factor. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the chrono station. My power factor was 173K!

Here's the recipe:
Caliber: 40 S&W
200 gr. Montana Gold bullet
1.135" OAL
5.6 gr. of True Blue

I plan to take this down to 5.5 grains and test with my new chronograph. I was very impressed with performance of this powder. True Blue is made in Belgium and sold here by Ramshot. http://www.ramshot.com/products/handgun/?view=8&product=TrueBlue

YMMV   8)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: True Blue powder recommended for competition load
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 04:08:16 PM »
Nice info to file awayGeorge.

I don't re member seeing a lot of data on TrueBlue. Slower than Uniaue, but faster than 2400. One would think it who be a soft shooter.

I've been using Power Pistol a lot lately. Works in a wide variety of caliber, burns clean and doesn't cost a lot.

How'd you do in the GA State? Which class?
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

GeorgeCook

• Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »
Nice info to file awayGeorge.

I don't re member seeing a lot of data on TrueBlue. Slower than Uniaue, but faster than 2400. One would think it who be a soft shooter.

I've been using Power Pistol a lot lately. Works in a wide variety of caliber, burns clean and doesn't cost a lot.

How'd you do in the GA State? Which class?

True Blue also is a clean burner.

As far as the match goes, my accuracy was good (had as many Alphas as the guy who won my division) but I was way too slow in transitions and stuff like that. This is what happens when I don't practice as much as I should...LOL! I shot in L-10 C-class.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 06:50:42 AM »
Very cool on the GA State match.  I shot last year and was in the top of the bottom 25%!  -- Production.   Haven't been able to get back to many USPSA matches since.   I haven't gotten classified,but would probably be a "C" myself .. at least in my dreams.

My quest for the perfect handgun powder started when I discovered the fun of DA revolvers.    Up until then I had used H110 in my .357 and .44 mag.    It produces the most velocity with the least pressure and is ALMOST perfect for those cartridges, EXCEPT, it requires a magnum primer.  Well, magnum primers are harder than regular primers and I was getting a number of misfires shooting DA.  Hence my search for a powder that used standard primers and would be suitable for 9mm through .44mag.   

I still use H110 for those "maximum" loads in my magnums.  But these are loads I'm only going to use for hunting or silhouette shooting.   The rest of the time, my .357 and .44 is for bowling pins and general shooting/plinking and not quite as hot.   Power Pistol does fine there.    I'll have give True Blue a look see for the future.

(And excuse all the typos earlier.  I was using my iPad yesterday and none too well, obviously.)
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

GeorgeCook

• Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:48:09 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention about True Blue: the powder dispenses with ease on a Hornady LNL powder dispenser. The powder is black and is fine like sugar - almost looks like the black beach sand in Hawaii. I like that aspect about the powder, as it seems very easy to work with.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:27:05 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk