Author Topic: safe queens and other things.  (Read 6061 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
safe queens and other things.
« on: July 16, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
CAn some one explain to me the point of owning something and not using it?  Rather its a gun, car, boat  what ever.  I was just checking cl and there is a guy selling a 911 turbo, that is 14 years old and has 600 miles on it total.   I just don't get it,
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: safe queens and other things.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »
Well, TAB, could be the guy has been very busy, you know, traveling, grand kids, 3 marriages, 4 divorces, IRS, Tea Party, whatever. Or it could be his wife won't let him drive it...haha. Maybe he was saving it to make a killing so he can buy some guns and ammo. Before you buy it, however, I'm sure you will check out the car history, insurance/theft/registration records and do a NIX CK on the dude. Hell, you're a real Californian, you know the drill.
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 02:46:40 PM »
We are a materialistic culture, I have all kinds of useless stuff that would never be missed or replaced if it disappeared. Goodwill and the trashman took alot but I still have a room that looks like an episode of Hoarders!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »
he wants more for the car then I paid for the house lol.   i always run the vin on a car I am going to buy.  You just can't trust people anymore.  Its sad but true.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »
CAn some one explain to me the point of owning something and not using it?  Rather its a gun, car, boat  what ever.  I was just checking cl and there is a guy selling a 911 turbo, that is 14 years old and has 600 miles on it total.   I just don't get it,

I had a 1/2 quart of moonshine that took me almost 2 years to drink.  It was soooooo good that I really didn't want to drink it because every time I took a bump it meant there would be that much less.  It was quite the dilemma.

Sadly, but with much joy, my brothers and I finished it this weekend. 
Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous.  So are cowardice and intelligence.

"We Americans have been a rebellious band of freedom loving vagabonds from the very beginning. Our freedom from the crown and tyranny would not exist had it not been for the gun. That's a tradition we like to hold on to.  The same can't be said for the rest of you 'Subjects of the Queen'."--said to a Canadian friend who just doesn't get it.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:57:18 PM »

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:26:54 AM »
Just look at the video you have on your post.  You have it, but you're never going to get to use it. ;D
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

atmiller

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 07:17:20 AM »
Damn, I can't concentrate with that girl dancing!   :P

It happens all of the time.  Guys with motorcycles or fixed up cars that only get them out to add another coat of wax, afraid to drive them and get them dirty.  I think they spend so much time getting them just right that they can't stand to mess up their hard work. 

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
Many things fall into that category. For example, how would one "use" a rare coin collection"? Would you fire a pair for rare Dueling pistols? Many people have things that they don't "use" in the normal manner. Classic, expensive cars are just one of them. I'm sure if you look at the average yearly mileage a Ferrari F-50 or Enzo is driven, it won't add up to the 15,000 miles a year the family Ford Taurus racks up.

It's that way with most things that are valuable and or collectible. Guns, cars, even clothes and shoes if people have many of the same type of thing. A guy that owns 3 guns and shoots 10,000 rounds a year, is going to have a higher round count per gun than someone who owns 50 or 100 guns and shoots the same amount. For many people like this it's simple mathematics. Look at Jay Leno for instance. He owns well over 100 collectible, expensive, rare automobiles. Many get driven just a few miles a year, or none at all.

Another thing is use with many collectible items deteriorates their value. Mileage on rare, expensive automobiles, and ammunition through guns. Rare coins are a bit different. Most that are very valuable are housed in plastic so handling won't effect them. And you obviously aren't going to spend them. Most all of this stuff falls into a "pride of ownership" category, along with the collectible being a type of financial investment. Simply because the longer you own it, the more it will be worth.

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 08:58:08 AM »
 Since I joined a shooting club my true safe queens have been coming out and speaking again.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »
Some folks have an urge to collect, some don't.

Those who do will buy something just to have it to look at or appreciate in value.

Those who don't will see that as wasted money they could spend on a useful item or another type of investment.

I don't have the urge and tend to see this the same way as TAB.  The closest I come to a collection is a drawer full of different sharp kitchen knives....all bought because I thought they would be more useful than the ones I already had, or books I have read.  I tend to not want to get rid of them.  

There is a difference between a collector and a pack rat.

Might be nice to take a survey.  My guess is that non-collectors would be less likely to have personal jewelery, the exception being a watch, since it has a function, and collectors would be more likely to have rings or other accessories.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk