Author Topic: Adventures in Ham Radio  (Read 7912 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: Adventures in Ham Radio
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2023, 09:13:53 AM »
Another Month.  Another 2,000 points, which I'm going to need between now and 12/31 just to tread water.

Talking Volunteers On The Air contest.  The top 20 in GA, and probably ever state, are insane, earning ~1,000 points per week!  At the 20th-50th place the pace, for now, is a little less hectic with only about 750 points per month.   I've made it to the top 50 in the state, and that was my goal, BUT, I'm going to have to work all bands actively every day between now and the end of the year just to hold that spot.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2023, 10:42:31 AM »
Just over 3 weeks to go in Volunteers on the Air

I'm now at 36th place in GA.  Several of us are via for the mid-30's as you can see in the screenshot.  (I'm W4ADS).
If I keep up my 750-1,000 points a week, hopefully I'll stay under 40th place exceeding my goal.
Sadly, I was hoping to pick up more 5 band WAS contacts, but in the last 5 months have only added one.  I need 5 on 10m, 1 on 20m(AK natch), 2 on 40m and 11 on 80m.

On a side note, I got a new 2023 F-150, STX, FX4 Off Road.  Lifted, super towing package (which means among other things larger brakes) and a 36gal tank (FREEDOM  I can do ATL-TPA on one tank, easy.  I get to pick when and where I stop now.).  Plus all the fantastic electronics.  So I splurged and got a new 2m/440mHz radio.  My old one had no back light and little chance of getting it fixed.  Not worth the bother.  Got the ICOM 2730, since it's UI is like my old one.  Have mounted the antenna with a corner bed mount from MFJ.  The base unit will go behind the seat where the "super" stereo, that I didn't get, would have gone.  And I'm experimenting with different mounts for the control head.  Part of me wants in on the dash in the dark glasses tray, but part says not to advertise and put it in the junk tray just in front of the shifter.  I'd use a cup holder mount but Miss Kitty likes her cup holder.  Pictures when it's all mounted, after Christmas.

Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2023, 12:12:59 PM »
Nice on the truck.  So is the corner bed mount up front by the cab?  Stake hole mount maybe or you drilled holes?   

The thing I hate about the F-150 I have is that it is aluminum so no magnet mounts!  Nor can I do anything with the glass roof that I know of. 

You're going to motivate me to put in that AnyTone AT-5888UV or old 857D in my truck like I've wanted to do for...well, for a long time.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2023, 09:10:08 AM »
These are mounted in the forward corner of the bed.  3 sheet metal screws.  There was already a hole ~6" down from the top of the bed.  I did have to enlarge it a bet to put in a grommet and to allow a PL-259 to pass.  I put one on each side for future use.  Right now the cable comes in the rear door, but I'll eventually put a hole through the cab.  I'm in no hurry.   

Yes, I realize this isn't the ideal place but I'm trying to keep a low profile look.  Maybe if I'm so moved down the road I'll go with a stake mounted near the rear.

I KNEW it was aluminum but just out of habit, without really thinking, I tried to put my mag mount on the roof.  DUH.

You know that GMC Christmas commercial where the young husband surprises his wife with his/hers trucks and she claims the one he want and says coyly, "I LOVE THIS TRUCK"?   That's Miss Kitty and I, only we have to share the one truck.
Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2023, 12:55:12 PM »
I have one major problem with most pickup trucks nowadays. Here's a picture of pickups "then" and "now", that was 2 screen grabs from a YouTube video I stuck together. Most trucks aren't really trucks anymore. They're more like the modern equivalent of the family station wagon, or its replacement, the minivan. You can haul the whole family around if you have one, but try putting a whole sheet of plywood in the back and closing the tailgate behind it. I could do that with both of my Silverados, but the last time I checked the only Chevy truck you could do that with anymore was a bare bones work truck. All the other brands I looked at were similar, if they even made a long bed pickup.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 06:09:44 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2023, 02:23:44 PM »
Oh I agree, Frank.  These are useless for contractors.  And in fact I wanted a smaller crew compartment and a 6' bed minimum when I started my search.

When Miss Kitty and I started our search it was for a 2nd vehicle.  Something I'd drive to the range and for errands.  We'd use the Pathfinder as the "family" vehicle.
However, I'm not a contractor and I don't need to haul outsized things very often.  After we saw how luxurious these are and how well equipped.  We shifted gears, so to speak.  This is our primary vehicle.  It is so comfortable and quiet and roomy, it make the Pathfinder feel like a 2nd hand model T.  It also gets better gas mileage than the PF.

I could have gotten all the bells and whistle with a 6.5' bed, but I'd paid list price and had to wait 3-6months.
Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2023, 03:32:51 PM »
Alf that's a clean installation.  It looks great and is low profile. 

Frank you are right on the bed.  I ordered mine with the mid-sized bed.  The longest option would have been great but this is a beast to park compared to the little cars of today. 

The longer bed and a 36 gallon gas tank were the ticket for me. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2023, 08:57:16 AM »
These are mounted in the forward corner of the bed.  3 sheet metal screws.  There was already a hole ~6" down from the top of the bed.  I did have to enlarge it a bet to put in a grommet and to allow a PL-259 to pass.  I put one on each side for future use.  Right now the cable comes in the rear door, but I'll eventually put a hole through the cab.  I'm in no hurry.   

Yes, I realize this isn't the ideal place but I'm trying to keep a low profile look.  Maybe if I'm so moved down the road I'll go with a stake mounted near the rear.

I KNEW it was aluminum but just out of habit, without really thinking, I tried to put my mag mount on the roof.  DUH.

You know that GMC Christmas commercial where the young husband surprises his wife with his/hers trucks and she claims the one he want and says coyly, "I LOVE THIS TRUCK"?   That's Miss Kitty and I, only we have to share the one truck.

Have you considered a hitch mounted antenna?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2024, 10:25:25 AM »
Have you considered a hitch mounted antenna?

No because then it's in the way when you open the tailgate.  I like the bed corner one, for now.  Maybe, if I used it more and wanted a clearer/cleaner pattern I'd move it to the rear stake hole.
Will work for ammo

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1447
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2024, 10:27:53 AM »
Maybe, if I used it more and wanted a clearer/cleaner pattern I'd move it to the rear stake hole.

EXACTLY!
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk