Author Topic: How fast can you get to your gun?  (Read 6327 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
How fast can you get to your gun?
« on: February 06, 2015, 09:15:46 PM »
That's the question a FaceBook page was asking.   Not that I followed that link, BUT,

Went shooting today and decided to take the G17 out for a spin.  That's the bedside gun.  I keep it in a small lock box in the night stand.  It's a four finger electronic combo box.   It's been probably 2 months since I've opened it.  Well this morning I keyed in the combo and "beep-beep", red light flashes.  Hmmm?   Trying several more times with same result.  (Slight tendency toward insanity here.)   Okay where's the key?   Finally locate key, open box, replace battery and all works well.   

I'm disappointed in the short battery life.   I think it was less than a year.   I've put a card in the box with today's date, so next time I'll know. 

BUT... more importantly,  what if this had been in the middle of the night?    It took me a while to figure out where the key was.  It's why I don't like electronics on guns.  And I seem to remember Michael had trouble with a safe.   I'm unlocking that sucker at night and putting the gun on top now.   Also, the key is a little more convenient, but still hidden, if I need a backup.   So I guess I'll be changing this battery when I change the smoke alarm batteries every year.

Next year, or later this year, I'll give an accurate assessment of the battery life.

Stay safe out there, and stay prepared.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: How fast can you get to your gun?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 06:06:59 AM »
I hate the idea of electronics on guns, whether it's optics, or locks or whatever.
Some of the gadgets are cool, but my flash lights always work when I try them during the day, they only fail at night .  ;D

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »
It's never more than a few feet from me at any given time except at work.  Nightstand when I'm sleeping or on my person during all other times.  Five days a week when I'm working it's in the console of my truck/car with a holster and a few speed loaders.  As soon as I get back in the vehicle it's back within my grasp.

I can't remember if I've seen any "no gun" signs because I don't look for them.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:51:50 PM »
It's never more than a few feet from me at any given time except at work.  Nightstand when I'm sleeping or on my person during all other times.  Five days a week when I'm working it's in the console of my truck/car with a holster and a few speed loaders.  As soon as I get back in the vehicle it's back within my grasp.

I can't remember if I've seen any "no gun" signs because I don't look for them.

Same, except I don't work any more.

When I did, baggy pants, a Smart Carry holster and a Glock 21 with a spare mag were carried.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 06:08:16 PM »
Same, except I don't work any more.

When I did, baggy pants, a Smart Carry holster and a Glock 21 with a spare mag were carried.

I can't carry at work.  We're a C-TPAT Facility (Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism).  They even put signs at the entrances to let terrorists know that they can enter and murder with abandon anyone in the building.  It's a bit of an oxymoron..

I keep a knife and shillelagh handy...

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:47:44 PM »

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 07:59:46 PM »
Probably should treat batteries in safes like smoke detectors.  Change them at regular intervals no matter what. Although I can't say I good about changing either one.

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »

I'm disappointed in the short battery life.   I think it was less than a year.   
Next year, or later this year, I'll give an accurate assessment of the battery life.

What brand/model are you using? I have a Gun Vault GV1000 purchased in 2009, a GV2000 purchased in 2/2010 and a StackOn purchased in 8/2011. The documentation suggests to change the batteries every 12 months. I've yet to change them! I check the vaults monthly. [after this post I bet they all go down]
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 12:57:10 PM »
I've had a GV2000 for about five years and though I change them yearly, my batteries have never failed.  I don't close mine too often though.  I leave it open unless I'm leaving for an extended period of time and there is rarely a handgun in it anyway.  They're normally on or near me..

If someone found it, it wouldn't take too long to just take it and it's contents.  I have it only to comply with the silly laws here or I use trigger locks.  I don't have the compliment of firearms that some here have.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk