Author Topic: I'm Afraid Tom Was Right  (Read 12802 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
I'm Afraid Tom Was Right
« on: October 20, 2017, 07:30:28 AM »
I'm noticing lately that this forum is really starting to die. I'm not going anywhere, but it sure would be nice to see it pick up to what it was a few years ago. The problem with dying forums is they are very hard to resurrect. Especially once they start a downward trend with people leaving and returning less and less, until they're gone for good. This is because the people like myself, and you guys that are left, stop by less frequently. And many move on and get involved in other more popular forums. Once that happens they are usually gone for good. Then it becomes like a snowball rolling downhill, in that fewer new people visit and post because of the lack of traffic.

This forum has a big advantage, in that it is connected to a major outdoor program and television channel. Few, if any other firearm forums have that advantage. Perhaps a word in the closing credits of Shooting Gallery with a link to this forum might help. It certainly couldn't hurt. And it would take little to nothing to make happen. I'm afraid if this keeps going the way it has, we are all going to be on borrowed time here. I sure hope that isn't the case.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: I'm Afraid Tom Was Right
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:44:27 AM »
I think you're right, Billt.  This forum is definitely in need of life support.  I continue to stop by on a near daily basis in the hopes  of seeing something, anything, that looks like it needs a comment.  Anytime I see a today indicator, I read the new comment/subject and if it looks like it needs a comment from the Rabbit, one gets made.  That happens less and less frequently as there are fewer today indicators.

I guess the only reason I'm not already out of here is a deep reluctance to say an actual goodbye to the many friends and acquaintances I've met here in years gone bye.

Coming here daily is like visiting a friend with a fatal condition.  You keep hoping for a miracle, but you expect to see a black wreath at the door on the next visit.

Sad,

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:21:28 AM »
I see a few things as causing the decline:

1.  Most recent is the starting of the Facebook page.  I see several regulars (now becoming former) from here posting there.  I believe that since most of us don't live and die by our computers and social media, we take limited time for these communications, and one is replacing the other;

2.  I blame Outdoor Channel.  Since they took over these group of shows their commitment to regularity has been poor.  The shows that were tied to this forum come and go, are moved around in the schedule, and they are repeated sparingly, if at all, on Wednesdays;

3.  When I make the following statement I am not ripping Michael or Marshal in any way!  With Outdoor Channel in charge there is a change in the drive and diversity.  Once again, I am not calling Michael lazy or cashing it in, but there is a difference when it is your company, you call the shots, and then you sell the product, and when you are employed by or contracted to a parent company.  It is easier to produce a product, gain sponsor support, and then sell it, then it is to produce what someone else calls appropriate.

These three things, and others smaller items, are what I see as taking away from this forum.  Ruger giveaways drew in many one time members who were just here for the giveaways, but some hung around and played a little.  But, as diversity in programming declined and leadership by some field experts disappeared on here, the participation has dropped.

I still come here for two reasons:
1.  I much prefer this platform over the book of faces;
2.  And, I love you guys  ;)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »
I'll admit to being social media ignorant. I have no idea how to navigate Facebook pages. Or how to find anything or anyone gun related there. This forum is easy and simple like most forum formats. I just hate seeing it in decline. It's one of the few firearms forums I really fit in with. Many of us are older and retired, and several of us share the same views on life. And like Mike, I love you guys.

And for me, like many retired guys, my social life was somewhat diminished after retirement, because I no longer had the social interaction of my co workers. So this type of correspondence becomes even more important to my day to day routine. It's like we've all been living on the same block for years. And now I'm watching everyone slowly move away.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 11:01:16 AM »
It truly is a shame that this forum is so slow. I think Mike is onto something because I noticed a difference right after "Corporate" took over in several ways.

First, this was a place where we found like-minded friends and, well, I have made a great number of friends here. We also DID a lot of things...technical stuff, jokes, questions and information. There was also a lot more involvement, not only from Michael, but also Marshal and Marshallette, who jumped in and ginned up a lot of interest. We had shoots, we had giveaways, and we shared other things between ourselves AND with the principles. A lot of us got to know each other and support each other.

Facebook is what it is, but it's convenient. All good things are replaced at some point, and it's a shame,
 but we really shouldn't let this go. I keep coming back just to check in. Thanks for being here.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:17:18 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
I’m a midwestern kid living in the Northeast so I’m used to having very few friends.

You guys and a gal or two are entertaining, informative, supportive and like minded.  I’ll keep ya...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1109
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 12:41:09 PM »
If I'm not gone on vacation I'm on here twice a day to see what's new. There are only certain parts of the forum that I read and a lot of the time there's nothing new when I get up and nothing new before I go to bed. More often than not there's a single post here in the cafe, if there's anything at all. I think Facebook is single-handedly killing the forum. A lot of people have migrated there and quit coming here, instead of going to both places. I don't want anything to do with Facebook so I'm here for the duration. I was one of those people who came here for a free giveaway and stayed for the camaraderie. It feels like home and you're all part of my extended (dysfunctional) family.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 04:22:21 PM »
I can say my lack of presence here reflects a couple of life changes.  First, we are now empty nesters and I can go to the gym after work without feeling guilty.  Second, my FIL died and we inherited, among other things, 24 beautiful acres which require some of my time.  Third, I am back working on the floor and no longer surfing a desk (good thing too, it almost killed me).  And finally DRTV needs an app, looking at this on my phone isn't all that great of an experience. 

Between an app and MB popping in here more regularly I think you could revive the Forum but I think neither are very likely.  :(
He who dares wins.  SAS

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
Yep.  The drift is that-a-way.

I noticed a change not long after the corporate acquisition. 

MB is also noticeably AWOL on his blog.  A mid July post and two at the end of August. 

I'm old enough to accept nothing lasts forever.

But did you guys post or vote in my latest poll on John McCain?

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=32638.0
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »
One really, really, really, really disadvantage of FB is that you can not sell, or mention selling firearms.  Plus there are trolls, who at the slightest non-PC language will complain to FB and potentially shut you down.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk