Author Topic: I'm Afraid Tom Was Right  (Read 12800 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
Re: I'm Afraid Tom Was Right
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 07:10:59 AM »
Who would really want to give this place up?
Tom dropped his membership, but he said he would monitor.  I'm sure that his curious and combative sides will not let him not show up at least weekly.

No matter how busy I am or how slow the place is, I try to stop in daily, because we are like minded ... brain dead, but all brain dead  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2017, 07:12:49 AM »
Yep
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »
Still coming by on a regular basis if for no other reason than to see how far we have fallen...

I miss the old "us."

But, I also miss my youth...  I miss a good night's sleep without bathroom breaks...  I miss being able to go on a five mile hike without needing the car...  I miss eating really spicy food without needing a Maalox chaser...  I miss 360 pound bench presses...  I miss seeing my willie without needing a mirror...  I miss getting off the sofa without grunting...  I miss hitting a 3" group at 200 yards without needing a good scope...

But, things change and life goes on. 

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2017, 02:11:08 PM »
Bring it in - we'll hug it out. Common' come over here...

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »
That is so wrong dude...don't do it wabbit.

Crusader, have you tried Saw Palmetto to help with the getting up at night thing?  It works wonders for some of us.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 09:21:58 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2017, 07:41:01 PM »
That is so wrong dude...don't do it wabbit.

Crusader, have you tried Saw Palmetto to help with the getting up at night thing?  It works wonders for some of us.

Saw palmetto was one of the things my dad took but he was really stupid about it. He quit taking all of his prescription pills and started taking a bunch of herbal supplements that were supposed to treat various conditions. He almost made it to 80 years old but died from complication of not taking his prescription pills. My mom on the other hand just turned 95 and shows no sign of stopping. She takes prescription pills and no herbal supplements.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »
My own pappy is still kicking at 92.  Takes about a kilo of daily supplements along with a few 'scripts.  Mom made it to 95, but didn't really know it.  She took a few herbals and a few prescriptions.

So, I'm convinced it's largely genetic.

I've worn out a pair of hips and the titanium replacements are getting kind of worn, too.  My knees could use replacements, but with worn out hips there doesn't seem to be much purpose.  I've got a couple of bum shoulders that used to serve me very well in the gym punching out multiple sets of bench press reps in the 360 pound range.  My elbows would allow multiple sets of curls at 180-plus pounds on the machine and 150 lbs of free weight.  And I did all this for better than 40 years--until all the joints wore out at the same time.

So, I'm not complaining, really.  I earned every bit of discomfort I have now.  And, I've got a book of memories that most would envy.

And when I say I miss something, that's just what it is.  There are things, places, people, dogs and skills I once knew and loved.  Many are history.  Some are still hanging around.  some new and very different skills are coming over the horizon.  One is coming up kinda soon as Bunny and I are taking a boat ride up the Amazon. That's one of the blessings of getting older--I don't need permission;  and I can afford the trip.

So, that's the tale.  This place is changing and I miss communicating with old friends, some more than others. I loved getting into it with the Fighting Quaker, and Benny was a great source of wisdom and knowledge.  Tom could drive a saint to sinning, but he was right more than he was wrong.  And I loved reading the arguments.  Rastus, Jumbo, Billt and Peg are friends I wouldn't recognize on the street but friends they surely are.  And Tab is certainly Tab.  Deepwater and Hazcat are just around the corner... But I do miss the Flying Monkeys and being sent to the corner.  There are so many others I can't immediately pull from memory (another thing I miss) just know you weren't intentionally overlooked.

Still, I'll keep dropping by.  If you don't see or hear from me for a couple weeks here and there, don't sweat it.  I'm probably out of town.  Arizona, Israel, Hawaii and other places are already penciled in.  I'm not going to ruin the experience by a dependance on any sort of social media so you won't hear from the Rabbit when I'm hopping down the bunny trail.

I love you guys,
Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2017, 09:43:06 PM »
And I shouldn't forget Jaybet.  Love your music, brother.

CR

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2017, 10:33:27 PM »
I'm happy for you CR and Bunny too for getting out and traveling while you're still able to enjoy it. I hope you both have a great time and have lots of stories to share. It's a honor to be among people you consider friends on the forum. Many people here feel as much like family and friends as the people I have in my life outside the forum. I couldn't even list all the people I miss seeing on here.

And as far as changes go I feel for you. I hope my "good" shoulder doesn't need surgery like I had on the bad one. Just within the last month the range of motion has decreased by a very noticeable amount. I can't even wipe my butt without twisting around and hurting my back now. I've been taking naproxen every 12 hours for quite a while for arthritis and daily headaches and it's not enough anymore. PT may be enough to fix it but I'll wait until I see the doctor next month to see what she thinks. I didn't think I'd be such a wreck in my mid-50s but I've had arthritis for 35+ years and it was bound to get worse. I'm still better off than a lot of other people and don't feel sorry for myself. At least I didn't get arthritis when I was only 7 like a girl down the street.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »
March will make ten years since I joined this great menagerie........ and I have more regard for and connection with the core group on here than I do with some of my own kin.
Ten years ago I never would have thought that such a relationship with others over great distances was possible via the impersonal avenue of electronic communication. But over these years some of us have shared in laughter, anger (from time to time), joy, and even tears for and with each other.

The forum itself has changed from what it started out as, and has been diminished because of other options, but as long as you guys are here, I'll be here.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk