Author Topic: Best for HD: .357 Lever Action, 30 Carbine, or AR-15?  (Read 14135 times)

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best for HD: .357 Lever Action, 30 Carbine, or AR-15?
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:02:40 PM »
I saw this on another website and had to steal it.  (Props to COSteve from Paco Kelly's Leverguns.com for this)

Suppose you own 2ea .357mag Rossi leverguns (20" carbine and 24" oct bbl rifle), a 30 Carbine, and 2ea ARs (14.7" pencil barrel middy and a 20" A4). Of the 5 options, say we limit your choices to only the 3 carbine versions configured as shown below. All three weight about 6 lbs, all three carry 12 rds or more, and all three have iron sights and no other aids (lights, lazers, etc.)

Assume:
A) you reload so you can tailor your ammo to your choice
B) your state has laws allow for deadly force inside your home so any of the 3 are legal options
C) you have a std style and size home in a normal neighborhood.

Given these three, and only these three, which would you pick for your HD choice and why would you choose that one?

Since it was posted on a Lever action rifle forum, there was an obvious bias there.  Let's see what happens here.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
Re: Best for HD: .357 Lever Action, 30 Carbine, or AR-15?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
I'm going to go AR in .223. Thanks to Rob demonstrating the penetration tests on The Best Defense, I would trust using the .223 caliber Hornady TAP or other specialized ammo in doors more than any pistol caliber. Add to that no recoil, light weight and easy to use. All three are good choices but in my own personal experience I like the AR. Especially with an EoTech on top for easy close in aiming to ensure that the shots are delivered on target. Plus M1 carbine ammo is not quite up to date in terms of modern self defense loadings like the more common .223. It's getting there though! And I would hesitate to shoot a .357 magnum in doors for any reason.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »
I'll go with the lever gun.

The recoil is minor in .357, it has a great history of stopping power and I can shoot it all day, every day with a light cleaning and lube.  Nothing against the others but I'd go with what I'm comfy with and gas systems require more maintenance.

A normal neighborhood where I live is several hundred feet to the next house.  I'm not any more worried about overpenetration than with a handgun in the same caliber which sits next to my bed as I sleep.  Besides, I can shoot .38's in the house and full loads outdoors.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 08:06:32 PM »
If an AR platform is an option, there are some sweeeeeeet ones with 8.5 inch to 10.5 inch available. Loaded with Hornady TAP ammo, halfway through a 30rd. mag, if I'm still having to fire, I will be transitioning to a bigger firearm.

CQB, geez, what about the "zombie count"? ::),....if I haven't ended the threat, I need more firepower, and than a 12g, or AK, is employed.

That many rounds, think about it, if I am still firing, I need more firepower. The "leetle" AR's would be the ticket.

Leelte DPMS, that would be dandy...
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »
If they made better SD ammo like gold dots for the M1 I think that would be my choice. Since they don't make SD ammo for it I'd choose the AR with frangible bullets. House to house distance to my neighbor is a measly 16 feet.  :o  Overpenetration with all 3 guns would be a problem.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:21:40 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 11:22:15 PM »
M1, it just feels good in my hand.  not to mention there is less of a chance some one could pull one of those evil black rifle deals in court.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 11:38:41 PM »
I would not choose the lever gun. Three reasons. 1) Cocking it is one more thing to think about in a high stress situation. 2) They do sometimes fail to feed cleanly and it takes longer to clear than just racking the charging handle back. 3) Its got fewer rounds and a slower rate of fire. If things are bad enough you're using a rifle, more and faster is better. Personally, I live in a zero lot line development. I can practically lean out my window and hand my neighbors a drink. I'd first choose a 9mm or a shotgun. Still, if I had to choose, I would use the AR.
YMMV
FQ13
PS +1 on the Eotech, both eyes open using the 6 minute circle. Its like ghost rings on a shotgun. Good enough.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 02:06:21 AM »
In a standard frame house I would go with a shotgun and shot, since that is not one of the options I would go with the lever gun and load 38's.
All of them will get the job done, that is the least likely to over penetrate and kill one of your neighbors.

mtpockets

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »
I would go with the 14.7 midlength with some type of frangible ammo.  It's short, ergonomic, and has a high capacity.

Have to ask why no shotgun?

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 07:45:39 PM »
I'm guessing there was no shotgun option because it was on a rifle forum  ???

As for me, well, I just plain forgot.  :-[  (I could fib and say it's because the shotty doesn't have a 12 round capacity like the others.)

My choice is the .357 lever action because except for my HiPoint, all my rifles are lever action and I have programmed myself to that type of rifle.  I can also use Glasser frangible ammo and not worry about over penetration.  Plus, like Mike said, a lever action looks a lot less menacing than the AR-15 to the uninformed called to judge my case if it got that far.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk