Author Topic: Somebody Explain Electrical Flow To Me ??  (Read 4092 times)

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Somebody Explain Electrical Flow To Me ??
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 09:19:52 AM »
Was it equipped with a Lucas, "Get Home Before Dark", electrical system?
Yup, John Lucas,The prince of darkness.
The reason the Brits drink warm beer is because Lucas made refrigerators too.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
It doesn't push current. Current is drawn as needed by a device up to the regulated amount of amps (regulated by a breaker...and sometimes the wire, if the breaker is over-sized for the branch LOL).

The draw can be cumulative as well, like in a household circuit with multiple outlets.
For example: If you run a hair dryer on high heat and it draws 1500w, then 1500w divided by 120v = 12.5 amps. If your circuit is a 20 amp circuit then you can still have other things running as well, but if you throw something like a space heater on it that is also drawing 1500w, then you get 25 amps and a tripped breaker.

Basically in simplistic form, the volts are always there but the current (amps) are calculated as they are required based on usage by devices.

As a side note: you can by a plug adapter that allows you to use the 50 amp/240v  generator plug as a 30amp 120v line (like campers and RV's use).
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 10:58:44 AM »
All I know about electricity is it's invisible and if you let the smoke out it stops working.(Triumph motorcycle owner)
wait, a British  built vehicle  with an electrical problem?  No way.   I have helped more than a few friends completely  rewire thier British  stuff.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 11:44:43 AM »
wait, a British  built vehicle  with an electrical problem?  No way.   I have helped more than a few friends completely  rewire thier British  stuff.

I’ve had two Triumph bikes, both were good running.

Their cars, at least the 60’s and early 70’s versions ran generators which suck at reliability!  Swapping to an alternator is easy if you remember to swap from positive ground to negative!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 01:00:29 PM »

I heard there is an outfit in Hollywood than takes brand new to 3 year old Jaguars, pulls the engine and electrical system out of them. And replaces it with a new Chevy 350 crate motor, along with an American transmission, all wired into a 12 volt system. I guess there are a LOT of people who love Jaguars, but hate all the problems that come with them. He supposedly has a waiting list.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:21:46 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 01:34:21 PM »
I heard there is an outfit in Hollywood than takes brand new to 3 year old Jaguars, pulls the engine and electrical system out of them. And replaces it with a new Chevy 350 crate motor, along with an American transmission, all wired into a 12 volt system. I guess there are a LOT of people who love Jaguars, but hate all the problems that come with them. He supposedly has a waiting list.
  not legal in drive on the streets of ca.     There maybe a guy, but both carb and bar would love to bend him over.

Carb ca air resource  board
Bar. Bureau  of automotive repair.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 02:59:25 PM »
  not legal in drive on the streets of ca.     There maybe a guy, but both carb and bar would love to bend him over.

Carb ca air resource  board
Bar. Bureau  of automotive repair.

It's legal, as long as they meet the emission requirements for the new engine.  I read a couple lengthy articles about Boyd Coddington, and the issues of both he and his shop after his death.  He wasn't in trouble for putting the modern engines in the old cars or crossing brands.  He got in trouble for treating them as old cars instead of new.  No catcons, no vapor capture, etc.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 05:37:05 PM »
It's legal, as long as they meet the emission requirements for the new engine.  I read a couple lengthy articles about Boyd Coddington, and the issues of both he and his shop after his death.  He wasn't in trouble for putting the modern engines in the old cars or crossing brands.  He got in trouble for treating them as old cars instead of new.  No catcons, no vapor capture, etc.
  it's a lot more than that, basically you need a done car that is of the same model year or newer.  Pull everything ( including the entire wiring harness ) and put it into the jag.   Then there is a refree station it needs to go too.  It needs to pass the inspection and have the factory  programing.  It is possible, but very hard to do and $$$.  He mentioned the 350, the 350 has not been made since 2002.  So the newest car you could implant one in is a 2002.  There are also other things like increasing displacement and etc, but that should be no issues for a jag as they  tend to have large motors.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 06:47:03 PM »
Are we talking domestic cars, or foreign cars.  I assumed these were foreign. 

Americans have been bringing in Jags from overseas for decades.  When they get here they don't meet our standards, and it is far cheaper and easier to upgrade to a GM engine.  In these cases they meet the requirements, because they are far cleaner.  If you are talking a domestic Jag, then true, you must use an engine of equal or better technology, and those must translate to equal or better emissions.

Honestly, except for trying to own and use a vehicle far above your pay grade, I can't understand why anyone would swap out a Jag engine for any of what we have.  The old demonstrations of a full wine glass sitting on the air cleaner of a running engine says a lot.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 07:01:38 PM »
I had a 65 English Ford Anglia in college(think Harry Potter, same color) that would not start after a rain ... I drilled a 1/4" hole in the top of the distributor cap to let the accumulated moisture out, and cured the problem

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk