Author Topic: New Glock 17-L "Long Slide" !  (Read 7283 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: New Glock 17-L "Long Slide" !
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 07:38:25 AM »
I asked because if it's actual Cerakote, it won't hold up well at all. Especially from any kind of holster wear. A guy at my club range bought a Cerakoted Glock in FDE.  The frame had a Digital Desert Camo pattern on it. The slide was solid FDE Cerakote. When he took it out of the box to show it to me it was brand new, and really looked nice.

He was using one of those Blackhawk SERPA type holsters. And was doing draw and fire drills from 7 yards. After just 5 or 6 magazine fulls, there were deep scratches all down both sides of the slide. The gun looked awful. He was pretty disappointed. If that was a stock Tennifer treated slide, there wouldn't have been a mark on it.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
Yeah, I was surprised when you said ceramic coating.  That through me for a loop because I didn't think that is what it is.

I don't like any of the ceramic coating finishes.  There was a big push that ceramic coatings were going to revolutionize the oilfield back in the early 90's.  I never saw it that way and the actual performance confirmed my expectations and it's so-so performance.

I am sure ceramic coatings have their place.  I just don't know where it can be used effectively in applications that affect me.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 03:29:54 PM »
If that was a stock Tennifer treated slide, there wouldn't have been a mark on it.

Indeed.

It has taken me over 13 years to wear through the stock coating on a G27 slide that I carry daily (and I mean any time I have my pants on) for nine out of every twelve months. I carry in a leather holster except for Sundays. On Sunday I use a kydex paddle holster so I can take it off quickly when I get to church and leave it in the truck (.38 snub stays in my pocket, though  ;) ).
One side of the slide is worn pretty good and some of the other side where it contacts the holster at the tightest points is as well. One corner of the slide has worn through the finish where it contacts my side during carry.
The next best thing I've found to that is Parkerizing.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 04:01:19 PM »
I've always contended that all of these spray on firearms coatings were nothing more than high tech paint. The people who provide these products will all argue differently, in favor of their increased durability. However they wear no better, and they all will stain from solvents, oils, and powder residue, just like paint will. Cerakote will show holster wear in a single trip to the range. Just like what happened to my club members Glock. These products will only provide protection, if you wish to have the weapon it's applied to as a safe queen.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 07:54:47 PM »
I've always contended that all of these spray on firearms coatings were nothing more than high tech paint. The people who provide these products will all argue differently, in favor of their increased durability. However they wear no better, and they all will stain from solvents, oils, and powder residue, just like paint will. Cerakote will show holster wear in a single trip to the range. Just like what happened to my club members Glock. These products will only provide protection, if you wish to have the weapon it's applied to as a safe queen.

Bill,
A very good friend was doing coatings (DuraCoat, CeraCoat) a few years ago as a side gig at the range he owned. After a while he stopped because they didn't hold up for long. He just advised folks with "guns they were going to actually use" to just paint synthetic stocks with Krylon or Rustoleum paint from Lowes or walmart, and use Alumahyde from Brownells or boat paint on the metal parts. That way when they wore down, you could just reapply it cheaply.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:29:11 PM »

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »
I'm really excited about this pistol. I have a standard 17, as well as the 19 and 26.
>snippage<
The trigger is so much better than the conventional triggers the other service Glocks receive. It's much lighter and crisper. Surprising for a Glock.
Do you have "-" minus connectors in your standard Glocks?
If not, the difference you feel is just the "-" connector which comes stock with that gun. (same connector that the 34 & 35 uses) 

There isn't anything special about the 17L trigger that's any different than your 17, 19 or 26. It's the connector.
http://www.glockmeister.com/45-Pound-Stock-Connector/productinfo/G721/

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

djk5279

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 07:51:36 PM »
They are very nice.  I got one last year.  I dont like the gen 3 frame texture so i bought a vickers rtf2 17 frame and mated them up.  Very sweet, my weird FrankenGlock.  Sweet long sight radius is fun to shoot at distance.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 06:35:10 AM »
Vickers puts his name on some good stuff.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk