Author Topic: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?  (Read 185673 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?
« Reply #800 on: May 22, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
Grilled ribeyes and baked taters. They didn't come from our normal market and were tasty, but tougher than normal (even after I let them age some).
I guess that's what I get for $10 each.  ;D ;D ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #801 on: May 22, 2020, 02:46:02 PM »
Yeah, most of them $10 ribeyes aren't really ribeye.

It is like pork.  When pork is in high demand you may notice that you get a very tender very moist ham.  A much better ham than you have had in years.  It isn't ham!  It's Butt!  If you are old school and have skills, cure a butt some time.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #802 on: May 22, 2020, 03:37:36 PM »
My butt is fine as it thank you.
It doesn't need curing  Humph.    ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #803 on: May 23, 2020, 10:34:06 AM »

It is like pork.  When pork is in high demand you may notice that you get a very tender very moist ham.  A much better ham than you have had in years.  It isn't ham!  It's Butt!  If you are old school and have skills, cure a butt some time.

It was definitely ribeyes, flavor was there, just tough.  :(
Toughness (as you know in your profession) can be affected by multiple variables. A lot of folks don't know that a quality animal's meat can be ruined (for all practical purposes) in the last five minutes before it dies.

We have all the equipment necessary to process a steer, just haven't got one yet since our first calf was a she (but that's a good thing because we're in building mode right now).

My son does deer and wild hogs for family and friends. We have a purpose-built area for all of it. We have a close neighbor who is a USDA facility inspector and he also studied butchering processes. My son had him come over several years ago (as he was just getting going) and teach him all the cuts (of course in the electronic interweb era, all that info is at our fingertips too).

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 575
« Reply #804 on: May 24, 2020, 06:47:43 AM »
<snip>

Alright....I hate to ask knowing you were an undertaker and all of that...what are those $10 fake ribeyes?

And I know they aren't NY Strips.....or Delmonicos....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #805 on: Today at 09:24:41 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #805 on: May 24, 2020, 12:01:02 PM »
Pan fried pork chops with salasa verde
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #806 on: May 24, 2020, 06:28:50 PM »

Need to try this
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #807 on: May 24, 2020, 09:42:44 PM »
Alright....I hate to ask knowing you were an undertaker and all of that...what are those $10 fake ribeyes?

And I know they aren't NY Strips.....or Delmonicos....

Not being on the book of faces, you may have missed my gig for the last four years.  After two years of driving for the company, I have spent the last couple years as Logistics Manager, and am currently responsible for moving over five million pounds of meat per week.

https://amigosmeat.com/chicago-2/

As you open that the rig is my old truck.  Up until two years ago, April 10, 2018, I put just over 205,000 miles on it in 26 months.

We call a lot of those cuts "Mystery Meat."  It could be ribeye or strip, but Utility or maybe as high as Select.  However, these companies, like No Name Steaks, are real good at cutting different muscles to make it look like whatever you want.  A good meat cutter can take a Choice Chuck Roll, and carve it into a steak that you think is ribeye and charge twice the price for it.  After they whittle it, and possibly pump it* (inject), you can get fooled.

*Pumping meat - Our daughter (you will see her in the CAB award photo on the website) is the Queen of hating pumped meat, and she can darn near smell it.  When we go out to eat, we all sit around evaluating our meat by sight and taste, and at least one, if not more, will be handed to her to test for pumping.  When she spits it out, always entertaining at a high end place, we all know.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #808 on: May 24, 2020, 09:54:50 PM »
TAB, A most wonderful choice for the 1st day of Eid al Fitr that started sundown Saturday   ;D
That's OK, I celebrate Ramadan with a noon time BLT.   ;D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 575
« Reply #809 on: May 25, 2020, 08:31:21 AM »
Not being on the book of faces, you may have missed my gig for the last four years.  After two years of driving for the company, I have spent the last couple years as Logistics Manager, and am currently responsible for moving over five million pounds of meat per week.
<snip>
Naw...I know what you're doing now.  I was just "throwing back" to be a smart ass....

That is interesting what they do to get the look of a good cut of meat.  Also danged crooked.  Here in a couple of weeks when the fences are fixed and the front pond fills up we'll be buying some calves to fatten up.  Sometime in the future I won't have to be buying something from somewhere that somebody butchered to somehow make something look like something it isn't.  If that makes sense to you....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk