Author Topic: Revolver reloading  (Read 14296 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Revolver reloading
« on: September 07, 2008, 07:55:54 PM »
I just read Mr. Erhards report on the uspsa match in Tulsa, and he mentioned Jerry Miculeks inefficient reloads, Mr. Erhard is definitely not a revolver shooter and is unqualified to report on it. The fact that no one reloads faster does not seem to matter, it seems he believes it is out of sheer want to, not how to. He did mention Squibby gave him a reason, but did not state it. Let me explain, Jerry's reload, and I've been doing the same for over 20 years.

1st, the reload that most people use, open the cylinder with the firing hand, eject the empties, with the non firing hand, usually parallel  to the ground, grab speed loader with the non firing hand and insert cartridges, letting the speed loader drop free, close the cylinder and  reclaim the grip, begin firing again, not bad, but not efficient.

Problem 1 is ejecting parallel to the ground, unburnt powder will accumulate under the extractor, and bind the cylinder.
2nd the shooting hand is stationary, and the non firing hand is doing all the work. 3rd, when the firing hand  still is gripped to the revolver, the thumb of a right handed shooter is in the way and can catch a cartridge on the way out and hang it up.

The Miculek way, shooting hand opens the cylinder, the revolver is transferred to the non firing hand, and the empties are ejected, with the barrel perpendicular to the ground, maybe a shade off to avoid breaking the 180 degree rule, while this is happening, the firing hand is grabbing the speedloader, with the revolver at belt level, and charging the cylinder, as the cylinder is filled, let go of the loader or moon clip and close the cylinder while reclaiming the proper grip and fire. 2 hands work better than 1.

Any questions?
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1119
Re: Revolver reloading
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 08:05:27 PM »
Just two questions. Who is this Erhards guy? Does he think he can do better than a multiple world record holder?

And one comment. What a d*ck.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 08:26:47 PM »
While I'm far from a speed "reloader" when it comes to revolvers the second method is what I use even just normally unloading my revolver.

The right thumb unlatches the cylinder while the left 2,3&4 fingers push the cylinder open through the frame.  The gun naturally rotates so the butt ends up facing me & the barrel is tilted up and slightly down range.   So it's not so much a "transfer" as it just naturally ends up in the left hand while the right hand goes for the speed loader.  The left thumb operates the ejector.  Then the left hand rotates the gun back right side up ready to receive the reload.  

I think I saw this demonstrated by Bill Jordan.  Don't remember exactly.

Hope I described it correctly.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 08:57:29 PM »
I'm a new shooter and have never fired a revolver, but some day will own at least 1.  When I get it, should I try to emulate a world champion or a director of marketing?  Hmmm, that's a tough one.   :)

Do what works for YOU, it may not be same as what works for some one else no matter how many championships they have won. Myself I open the cylinder latch with my right (firing hand) thumb, pushing cylinder with trigger finger, hit the ejector with the heel of my left hand which has  already fished out a reload, drop them in close cylinder with left hand. No need to reacquire grip, just sight and get on the trigger. Of course this is not as important in a self defense situation, because if you need to reload you will be behind cover.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 08:57:42 PM »
Here's what ya need...

All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:49:02 PM »

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »
Just two questions. Who is this Erhards guy? Does he think he can do better than a multiple world record holder?

And one comment. What a d*ck.

Those that can't do..criticize
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1119
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:33:21 PM »
When I had a Dan Wesson there was no way to open it with my firing hand. I held it in my right hand in a firing grip and had to use my left hand to open it. Thumb on latch, fingers through frame to open, dump, reload, done. I had to do what worked for me with my gun. If everyone does what works for them no one else should complain about it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 10:06:58 PM »
Nah, mate.   Those aren't revolvers.  This is a revolver.   ;)

Seriously.  Hold out and get a Smith.  You'll never regret it.

Alf
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »
I can relaod my .45 Redhawk to standards your S&W will never stand up to.  :o

S&W makes a nice gun but I want a TANK.  ;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 890
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 10:43:56 PM »
My USPSA revolver is a S&W 625-8 (JM PC).  I follow Jerry's reload recommendations and find it very easy and smooth.  The opening of the cylinder with the fingers of the left hand naturally transfer the gun and tip it leaving the right hand free to drop a moon clip in, and the transfer back is smooth and easy.

Watch the guys that are successful and imitate the one that is most comfortable to you. 

* Haz, I hate to call you a sissy, but do I need to post a picture of my "big dog?"
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk