Author Topic: Revolver reloading  (Read 14265 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Revolver reloading
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 05:49:41 AM »
This one doesn't kick as bad as the dump truck slayer,,, WOW!, but its a nice ride.

.460 S&W.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Ckott

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 08:59:18 AM »
If this is the same guy that used to head Sigs marketing dept, he's a good guy and has a right to his opinion, but jeeze Jerry IS revolvers.
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 09:34:34 AM »
twyacht,

What are you using for optics?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 09:09:04 PM »
If this is the same guy that used to head Sigs marketing dept, he's a good guy and has a right to his opinion, but jeeze Jerry IS revolvers.

I can't argue with that. Some people do, and some people just report on it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 09:43:18 PM »
twyacht,

What are you using for optics?

SWP222, in SS. about $300. Had to suffer the wrath of the wife for a while. :-\  2X. Here's a link from the S&W site.
http://www.gunaccessories.com/SWOptics/PistolScopes.asp.

Relief was tough at first at arms length, might be my Gumby arms, but I did adjust with a modified Weaver stance that helped immensely. The recoil is like a .44 with standard loads,... Don't shoot it all day, just a few with ammo costs and all,... but nothing like the 45-70 revolver. :o :o :o :o

That really defines "Hogleg!"

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:11:07 AM »

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 10:31:04 AM »
Watched "Magnum Force" with Clint Eastwood and David Soul last night on AMC.  In the scene where Eastwood and Soul are competing in the combat course for the championship, the interresting part was the revolver reloads.  Eastwood, naturally, is using the M29, with Soul using a Colt Python. 

The reload method used by both was to leave the pistol in the shooting hand (SH) and emptying, reloading and closing cylinder with the non-shooting hand (NSH).  They opened the cylinder with SH, emptied cylinder with NSH, got a speed loader from their belt or pocket, with NSH, reloaded cylinder, dropped speed loader and closed cylinder with NSH.  Areas of loss of time, emptying cylinder, dropping hand to get speed load, go back up to cylinder and load.  Other area is closing cylinder with NSH and getting back to shooting stance.  Tombogan stated that he uses this method but picks up speed loader before emptying cylinder and has it ready to reload, saves time. 

With the method of transferring pistol to NSH when pistol is reloaded NSH which is holding pistol by cylinder with thumb in position to close cylinder as soon as cylinder is loaded.  No shifting or positioning of hand.  Then the pisol is transferred to SH with NSH in close proximity to affect a reacquiring of shooting hold.  Saves time, extremely important.

I realize that Hollywood shooting and real shooting are totally different but the cylinder reloading techniques are basically the same.
DesertMarine

Houngan

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 09:18:41 AM »
Folks, ease up.  The next paragraph:

"I didn’t really understand the dynamics of his reload until I talked to Lisa Farrell. Lisa is the 6-time Women’s ICORE Champion and explained to me how the revolver reload works for mere mortals and how is works for Jerry Miculek."

Is him admitting that he needed clarification to understand Jerry's style.  Gotta read the whole thing before you trash the guy.  And logically, Jerry's reload might not be the most efficient, but it's the fastest way he can do it, so it is best.  Much like a muscle car wouldn't be considered efficient, but will still beat a Prius in a race.

Also, Jerry's style is no better or worse than the two or three alternatives, it's just the style that he's used for 100k+  reloads.  I'm sure if he was in the mood to put in that amount of repetitions on a different style, he'd get back to his normal times.  What sets Jerry apart is his trigger speed and consistency.

H.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 06:36:55 AM »

So a Prius isn't a muscle car?
Only if you plug it into 220V.
I got the blues as my companion.