Author Topic: 1911 on a budget...  (Read 15908 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
Re: 1911 on a budget...
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »
Smart donkey!  ;D
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 02:41:47 PM »
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
In all seriousness, If I personally were to buy a 1911 for about $1,000 I would want the Kimber Warrior or Desert Warrior. For a 1911 on a tighter budget, I would go with the Taurus PT 1911
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Chuck556

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 08:30:10 PM »
After much meditation and forethought, I have decided that I am in the market for a 1911. I am looking for a Government size (as in 5 in. barrel) in .45 ACP (what else?) preferably in an all steel model. Will be used for concealed carry as well as general shooting and home defense. I have a budget of anywhere from about $800 to $1000 fazools and I would like a little advice on getting the most bang (sorry about the pun, really I am) for my fazool, err, buck. So, let the opinions fly!  What do you guys think? Best 1911 for under a grand? I would really like to know...\

~Fox
----------------I thought and heard that Kimber was the best ACP on the market.  I traded a H&K 9MM Expert pistol for a Kimber Grand Rapter.  Beautiful weapon with fish looking scales instead of the regular finger groves.  Went to the range with several different brands of ammo plus some target wad cutters.  I was shooting from a bench & sandbag to check out how accurate the Kimber could be.   I was only firing at the 25yrd range but the Kimber could do no better than 4 to 5 in. groups.  It looked like I was shooting a shot gun instead of a fine 45 auto.  In disgust I left the range and stopped by a local friends' gun shop.  After telling him and also showing him some of the targets he laughed and said this is what you needed.  He pulled his own Taurus PT1911 from under the counter and said try and shoot this.  I bought more ammo (White Box) and headed back to the range.  The darn Taurus PT 1911 shot circles around the Kimber and even did some 1 1/2 groups from the bench...  I bought the Taurus and attempted to return the Kimber to the shop it come from.  The dealer said "You didn't read the manual, did you?"  The manual says not to judge the accuracy until you fire at lest 500 rounds.   After about the 400 rounds the Kimber did start shooting pretty good but still couldn't beat the TAURUS PT1911.  I ended up trading the Kimber Grand Raptor for a S&W M&P15T.  I wouldn't part with my Taurus PT1911 it even had a better trigger than the Kimber.   YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG WITH THE TAURUS AND WILL BE SAVING A HECK OF A LOT OF MONEY.!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk