Author Topic: $820,000 Custom Rifle/shotgun  (Read 4862 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: $820,000 Custom Rifle/shotgun
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:33:56 PM »
Fancy engraving, and handcrafted fluff,....rich mans collectible safe queen, as an investment.

Where's my damn 1891 Mauser???   ;) It will keep shooting, till YOUR shoulder cries Uncle...and hit a gallon water jug at 100yds.  ALL DAY. with iron sights.

Kinda like Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson, etc,... it's all topnotch, and fantastic, but a Rock River or Springfield, hits the same target at 7-10 yds.

Just sayin,,,,,So will a Tokarev

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 09:36:35 PM »
Fancy engraving, and handcrafted fluff,....rich mans collectible safe queen, as an investment.

Where's my damn 1891 Mauser???   ;) It will keep shooting, till YOUR shoulder cries Uncle...and hit a gallon water jug at 100yds.  ALL DAY. with iron sights.

Kinda like Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson, etc,... it's all topnotch, and fantastic, but a Rock River or Springfield, hits the same target at 7-10 yds.

9 out of 10 dead deer will agree with you (the other one is a snob).
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 11:40:03 PM »

A comment worthy of FQ.
I would expect more appreciation of true art from some one like you.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 11:59:55 PM »
A comment worthy of FQ.
I would expect more appreciation of true art from some one like you.
There is art and there is stupidity Tom. I own a low grade Parker. Its all handmade and handfitted though.  If I had the cash, I'd think about a Purdy (I got to shoot one once, and I'm not sure if it ws a blesing or a curse. I now know what all the fuss is about, but I'll never be able to do it again barring the Powerball. :'(). What I would pay for though, are the handcrafted internals and the balance, and just "alive" feeling of the gun. That is worth every penny of the seventy K or so the Purdy will set you back. I appreciate craftsmanship, and will pay for as much of it as I can afford. When it comes to the gold filigree and egraved wood nymphs and falcons and such, I just don't like it. YMMV and that's cool. Its a personal thing. But for me, dropping that kind of cash on a gun too pretty to beat the hell out of in the woods? Its like marrying a pretty girl you can never sleep with. What's the point?
FQ13

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 01:01:07 AM »
i'm not a fan of engraving.  function is number 1  I admit i'm interested in thier barrel swap system.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:21:34 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 08:50:26 AM »
Look people, does a multi million $ price tag make a Rembrandt less of a master piece ?
After 25 years of metal working I appreciate the craftsmanship, even if I didn't particularly care for the specific picture, (As it happens I DO like Falcons  ;D  )
Would I ever buy one of these ? NO !
But I would sacrifice small children for the skill to DO that kind of work !
That ain't laser etching bucko's.

Note for TAB, I'm guessing that the barrel swap set up is not that complex, You can do pretty much the same with Mauser or Savage rifles.
Might be a good subject for another thread, Caliber swapping systems in rifles.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 01:00:14 PM »
most of them i've seen its either some type of interrupted screw or a slot that is held in by a wedge.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
most of them i've seen its either some type of interrupted screw or a slot that is held in by a wedge.

Shot gun News had a series, and now advertises a book on building a "switch Barrel Mauser by Reid Coffield

www.shotgunnews.com    Click on "store"

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 02:28:52 PM »
More out of fear of retribution from Tom, I'm going to agree with his assessment!   ;D

Seriously though, I watched a show some years back where the host took his dads old Model 21 side by side to the Beretta factory in Italy to have them do a new stock and forearm for him.  During the hour long show, they went through the process of these fine Italian shotguns, the machine work, hand lapping, custom fitting, more lapping, bluing die, more custom fitting, more lapping until the break action was so tight and well done that the gun could shoot 100's of thousands of rounds without loosening up.

After that, they filmed this little old Italian engraver and showed the meticulous work and detail that went into these guns for the custom high end markets.  It was amazing to watch the craftsmanship and pride that old man put into his work and considering one mistake basically ruins a 5 to 10K receiver, probably a bit nervy as well.

These things are becoming ancient history and need to be cherished if you're lucky enough to afford one.  Don't worry about shooting them, they will handle the abuse and if taken care of, an old walnut stock will last as long as the action.  My 42 year old Wingmaster, a CHEAP gun with American walnut stock and forearm looks brand new (almost)!

When I found out Browning is selling guns with fake decals resembling wood, I nearly puked....I'll keep my old pump gun and look for old and well used any day...

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 04:25:07 PM »
I will add that I understand what FQ was saying, "feel" and handling have their place in the craftsmanship of guns, I picked up a Luger 35 years ago and I still marvel over the way it felt and seemed to point itself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk