Author Topic: National Reciprocity?  (Read 19070 times)

Herknav

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: National Reciprocity?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 05:23:25 AM »
Count me in as one of those wary of a Trojan horse.

Remember how the G got the drinking age raised to 21?  They threatened to withhold federal dollars to any state who refused to do so.  What's to stop them from doing that again with concealed carry?  No, thanks.  If you don't like your state's laws, then get them changed or move.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 08:03:57 AM »
Count me in as one of those wary of a Trojan horse.

Remember how the G got the drinking age raised to 21?  They threatened to withhold federal dollars to any state who refused to do so.  What's to stop them from doing that again with concealed carry?  No, thanks.  If you don't like your state's laws, then get them changed or move.

Actually, while it might cause some problems, stopping payments to the state might not be a bad thing....in the long run for sure.

The Feds shouldn't have much of our money to be using to bribe/coerce the states anyway.

Some states have not caved to this tactic in other areas and have learned to do with out the dole. 

The tricky part is to stop the state's citizens from paying taxes to the feds.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 08:39:33 AM »
 My marriage license and drivers license are both good in all 50 states without any special conditions when I visit outside my home state. A CCL should be the same way, just because other states don't give their subjects the rights of citizens shouldn't trump my license when I enter their states. National reciprocity shouldn't come with conditions but if that is all we can get it is better then nothing.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

tombogan03884

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 08:41:48 AM »
My marriage license and drivers license are both good in all 50 states without any special conditions when I visit outside my home state. A CCL should be the same way, just because other states don't give their subjects the rights of citizens shouldn't trump my license when I enter their states. National reciprocity shouldn't come with conditions but if that is all we can get it is better then nothing.

No, it isn't.

JLawson

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »
H.R.822.RH, as added to the calendar, now includes a section mandating a GAO audit of states' non-resident licensing systems:

SEC. 3. GAO AUDIT OF THE STATES' CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT OR LICENSING REQUIREMENTS FOR NON-RESIDENTS.

(a) The Comptroller General of the United States shall conduct an audit of--

(1) the laws and regulations of each State that authorize the issuance of a valid permit or license to permit a person, other than a resident of such State, to possess or carry a concealed firearm, including a description of the permitting or licensing requirements of each State that issues concealed carry permits or licenses to persons other than a resident of such State;

(2) the number of such valid permits or licenses issued or denied (and the basis for such denials) by each State to persons other than a resident of such State; and

(3) the effectiveness of such State laws and regulations in protecting the public safety.

(b) Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Comptroller General shall submit to Congress a report on the findings of the study conducted under subsection (a).

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c112:2:./temp/~c112dwCCv1::

If you were nervous about this before, you should really be nervous now.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 02:13:35 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 884
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 09:43:46 AM »

That sir is what has gotten us all of the infringements we now accept.  It is exactly what we often complain about when it comes to organizations like the NRA:  They negotiate away parts of our freedoms.

We are better off without a bad bill than letting them drive more wedges into the cracks they have already created in our protections.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 09:46:20 AM »
While I'm pondering my previous post here is a thought that I think is in the best interest of all law abiding citizens of the United States of America:

Our government issue (local state) driver's license or identification card (for those that choose not to drive) serves as your permit to purchase and carry in any manor you chose.  If you commit a felony that removes any constitutionally protected rights you are issued a new card that states such.  When you wish to purchase a gun the dealer calls an information center, gives ID information and receives a go or no go.  If you are questioned by law enforcement they get a go or no go for your ownership and/or carry based on this license.

This would be a no requirement and no fee part of your ID.

I will also point out that this is a stricter level of exercising and protecting of Rights than our government will allow to assure valid elections.  I'd like to see the anti-gunner, pro-illegal alien liberals argue their way out of that one  >:(

I posted this one yesterday afternoon:  Any comments or debates on demands that we go this direction?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »
Basically a NICS check to see if your license gets a big red X on it.
Works for me.

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 07:14:23 PM »
 I don't see the trap in this bill, it has my support and I will urge my Representative to vote for it.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 07:17:56 PM »
I don't see the trap in this bill, it has my support and I will urge my Representative to vote for it.

Mort,

I don't see an immediate threat either.  However, the tinfoil armadillo on my head warns me about how any time the feds duplicate something states already have they soon take over and manipulate the states.

My question for my elected officials is "Why don't you push for my plan as stated earlier?"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk