Author Topic: The "Wet" AR  (Read 6844 times)

tombogan03884

Re: The "Wet" AR
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 02:14:41 AM »
I have absolutely no military experience so I ask this as an honest question, not to be argumentative - did your Drill Instructors fire 500 to 1000 rounds in a combat engagement before cleaning and lubing?  I think we agree that minimal lube is good to keep an AR ready to go when carrying it, but I believe a day at the range or in a training class is a different environment with different requirements.

500 - 1000 rounds ? Maybe. sometimes none some times every thing but the kitchen sink. Thing is, an AR is built to tighter tolerances than something like an AK,lube takes up space, but works on a nearly microscopic level, so what benefit do you get from goo running down the side of the part ?
Second dust is attracted to any type of moisture. Tolerances on the guns I built at T/C were +/- .005 That's less than the diameter of a hair (.006 ) it does not take much dust to plug that space, also , lube freezes. You will not fire a "wet " anything in below freezing temps.

dj454

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 09:03:58 AM »
I do not own a AR yet but I work with 2 friends who have them and shoot high power matches. I saw both episodes when Dick Metcalf said the AR must run wet and I discussed it with both of my friends. They both disagree and they both use a moly based lube on the moving parts. They both swear by it but like I said I have no personal experience yet. I do know with my Remington 7400 autoloader with the moving parts wet carrying it deer hunting for 3 weeks it gets covered in dirt and debree. So I switched to a dry lube made by Remington, but I can't find it anymore but I still have enough left for a while. Also I talked to a deputy at the county garage were I work who just did 2 tours in Iraq and he said that the soldiers over lubing their M16's had problems with jamming due to the dust sticking to everything. He said the dust over there is like talc and it cakes up when it gets wet. Maybe you can carry a bottle of spray lube to relube after you fire a couple of hundred rounds. Also Dick Metcalf said the heat from the direct gas impingement system is what causes the AR to stop running.I guess I will find out first hand as soon as I get my own AR.Keep us posted if you find a good solution.

bdpaz

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 01:05:55 PM »
I think we are just about at the agree to disagree point but I have have a few more comments/opinions to explain my position.

The use of minimal lube on weapons in Iraq is to keep them functional after unavoidable exposure to dust and dirt - not to maximize the life of the gun.  I am in the Arizona desert and a day at an outdoor range doesn't expose me to clouds of dust and I'm not forced to set my rifles in the dirt.  I'm dirty and grimy but other than magazines that have dropped to the ground I don't have any hardware troubles.

When carrying a lot and shooting a little as in deer hunting, it is more important for the lube not to collect crud than it is for it to last for hundreds of shots.  And I think wet refers to the presence of lubrication so if the dry moly lubes are providing lubrication for as many rounds as you shoot in a session then you are "wet".

So to CybScryb my recommendation is to experiment.  Try different amounts and/or types of lube.  After a couple hundred rounds work the action and see if it still feels a smooth as when you began.  Field strip and see if you feel any grit on the bolt and carrier.  And decide what you want from the gun.  If it is an "end of the world" rifle, knowing it will run dry and for how long (at the expense of shorter life, in my opinion) is important.  If you plan to shoot many thousands of rounds for accuracy you will want to keep it lubed.  If dust does turn out to be a problem that may mean cleaning and lubing during a session at the range.  The AR is a versatile platform but that doesn't mean one gun can do it all.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 03:15:23 PM »

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 08:46:10 PM »
Ok, this has been my experience, so as usual, YMMV...

The carrier does not need a lot of lube to keep it going.  Some light lube on the high spots, and then some additional during a shooting session is about it. Spraying such as Dick Metcalf is doing is fine. Some of what he is doing is in my second point.

Where most of the problems I have seen occur is that the bolt itself, which is a piston, does not get enough and then starts to drag instead of slide, slowing down the carrier/bolt combination.  What I do when this starts is to squirt some into the bolt via the vent holes, and then cycle the carrier/bolt a few times to distribute it.

While I have seen an overly lubed carrier attract all sorts of stuff, and get gritty,  I have not experienced or seen an over lubed bolt.  The excess will just blow out the vents, and around the firing pin and out the back (not a lot though).

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:25:25 PM »

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 08:17:01 AM »
My experience has shown that it's better to have a little more lube than a little less.

Do remember that many manufacturers are tightening up the tolerances on the components in an effort to increase accuracy.  I've got some upper and lowers that are fit so tight that I almost have to slam them together to reassemble the rifle.  I don't think the Vietnam era rifles were that tight.

In dusty, arid environments I still keep the rifle lubed up pretty good, but I also have the opportunity to clean it every night if I need to. 

USSA-1
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 10:09:42 PM »
When I was with a federal agency we M16A1s both in the field and on the range.  No, we did not shoot 500 to 1000 rounds per session but our rifles got minimal cleaning and care as we did not have issue weapons.  We got different rifles every time we went out.  Our rifles got maybe some light oil for lube.  Only time we had problems were in training using blanks and rifles were not kept "wet".  My personal AR and 1911 both get a combination of lithium grease with powder moly, light coats.  No problems.  If I was going to shoolt up to 1K rounds per session, I would lube several times during the session. 
DesertMarine

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 07:09:20 PM »
The M16s I worked on in the army were old and worn. They worked good when there was a light coat of oil everywhere. My AR-15s work best when there is hardly any oil except a drop on moving surfaces. The only serious problem I ever had was over-lubing it once, which carbon-fouled the bolt and carrier so bad it wouldn't even move. A bare minimum of oil works much better for me.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk