Author Topic: Now I'm not so sure.  (Read 7753 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Now I'm not so sure.
« on: December 31, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »
First:  Great timing on the NFA forum as I am contemplating getting a suppressor. 

I was just viewing some videos from a manufacturer and am not impressed at all.   In fact, it makes me wonder if it's worth it.

In the video they are shooting a 10mm semi-auto.  Unsuppressed it's running about 164db.  Suppressed it dropped to 140 dry (130 wet) ? ! ?

This a suppressor manufacturer's video, and they're proud of this 24db drop.   What happened to "all I could hear was the slide operate, the bullet hit the target and the brass hit the floor"?   I checked other videos from the manufacturer and there aren't any that would prompt me to drop $800+ on hardware and license.    Anybody got better videos?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: Now I'm not so sure.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 09:26:33 AM »
You need to bear in mind that the 10MM is a bit of a cannon. I would be willing to bet that a .40 caliber would give much greater noise reduction.
Also I will say from personal observation on an indoor range that with a 9mm MP5 all I heard was the bolt , when I removed an ear plug mid burst, I also heard the bullets slapping into the cardboard targets.
That was with subsonic ammo, full power loads will be noisier.

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:07:06 AM »
Since that was factory ammo in 10mm, my guess is it was supersonic ammo.

I went to Remington UMC's website:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/umc/umc-handgun-ammunition.aspx

and looking at the spec's for the 10mm ammo, it says that the muzzle velocity is 1,150 fps, so, yeah, supersonic.

I will have to look over SilencerCo's  YouTube page because I bet they have videos with sub-sonic ammo.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
SMARTASS ALERT

Tyler, I think they have a name for subsonic 10mm, .40 Short &Weak.

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO SERIOUS DISCUSSION

;D

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »
after watching a few of those videos by SilencerCo, I think the problem is the echo.  As you can see it is kind of a tight confines he is shooting in.  I bet if he was shooting outside, it wouldn't sound nearly as loud as it does.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:41:24 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:56:38 PM »
BUT:  Is this the best video the manufacturer can post?   A 24db reduction? 

If I were a manufacturer my videos would show my products in the best possible light.  I'd film this in a anechoic chamber with the absolutely highest db rated can possible. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 01:20:34 PM »
BUT:  Is this the best video the manufacturer can post?   A 24db reduction? 

If I were a manufacturer my videos would show my products in the best possible light.  I'd film this in a anechoic chamber with the absolutely highest db rated can possible. 

I'm just throwing out a thought here, but could it be the manufacturer is showing less than the best performance so that customers do not have unrealistic expectations under uncontrolled conditions ?

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:41:55 PM »
I sent SilenerCo an email via their contact page to tell them two things:

1. they should post that the ammo they used in the Glock 20 test was supersonic 10mm ammo.

2.  that I wondered if doing it outside would yield better results either from the camera's microphone or from the decibel meter.

I guess some time next year...they will get back in touch with me.   ;D

I based my #2 point off of this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7p9nuylaag

mauler

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »
I think they picked a bad combo to demonstrate a suppressor.  A high pressure, supersonic handgun like a 10mm auto does not demonstrate the noise reduction capabilities fairly.  The short barrel and the fact that sound escapes through the ejection port does not help.  Go shoot an AR 15 with a good suppressor with supersonic ammo.  It will sound about like a .22 long rifle.  I shoot it without hearing protection.  Of course, to come close to being "silent" you must use subsonic ammo because the sonic boom of the projectile breaking the sound barrier cannot be affected with a suppressor.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 10:35:32 AM »
Remember decibels are not linear, but logarithmic.

A 24db is not shabby....in the range of the reduction of many ear plugs/muffs.

But 140db is hardly quiet.  

150db is twice as loud and 140 and 160 is twice as loud as 150.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk