Author Topic: DIY Items  (Read 17663 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: DIY Items
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 11:44:15 AM »
I just wish I had the tools and ability to work with metal.  Used to have access to sheet metal tools when I worked in a small firm building all types of bold bins, tool boxes, and several other items.  I also had a friend that owned a lathe, milling machine, and several presses.  Today all I have is an old Lincoln welder - even sold the torch on the sale  :'(

I'm with you Mike, except I sold the welder too!  ::)

Shop class was for the under-achievers in HS, so I never took any of the courses. Everything I learned is self-taught, which made running my ranches interesting to say the least. The kind of metal working involved here is something I would love to do, but do not have the resources to start at the moment. Someday maybe . . . .   ;)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »
We have some suppressor owners on hear, and I'm sure one of them probably has or has access to an inferred thermometer and could check the temp out for us.

While we wait think of the heat of the barrel and gas tube.  The suppressor is subjected to the same gasses as these parts.  It is lighter than the barrel and heavier than the gas tube.  I suspect that under sustained fire that turns a gas tube cherry red and discolors the barrel the suppressor would not be far behind.

I know that Hard Ano is used in aluminum cookware so I think it would withstand "normal" rates of fire and maybe even sustained fire.  I was leaning toward stainless for the reasons listed before, but weight is a factor as well.  I don't want a 16 oz suppressor on a 24 oz. pistol or even a 5 pound rifle but I don't want to have to replace internal parts all the time either (although I will be experimenting with different angles and baffle placement).

I am planning on a K baffle, or an X baffle design, with a blast chamber for a 10/22 for my first build.  I think I can keep in at 1" diameter by 6" long based on the suppressors I shot last week on my buddy's pistols.  With a 16" .920" diam barrel this should allow iron sights to be used if need be.
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 01:37:19 PM »
A gun shop in NH (Riley's ) is a class III dealer, they used to have a 10/22 with integral suppressor.
It looked just like a bull barrel. Diameter of 1 inch or less, however there was no way to tell by looking how long it was.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »
I've seen variations of that Tom and that was one idea running through my head last night.
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 01:51:43 PM »
When I was at T/C I often thought about the idea of machining one into the end of a .22 LR bull barrel.
But it was only a mental exercise, like I said, I make parts, I don't design them.  ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:48:47 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 02:00:55 PM »
I know that Hard Ano is used in aluminum cookware so I think it would withstand "normal" rates of fire and maybe even sustained fire.  I was leaning toward stainless for the reasons listed before, but weight is a factor as well.  I don't want a 16 oz suppressor on a 24 oz. pistol or even a 5 pound rifle but I don't want to have to replace internal parts all the time either (although I will be experimenting with different angles and baffle placement).

I am planning on a K baffle, or an X baffle design, with a blast chamber for a 10/22 for my first build.  I think I can keep in at 1" diameter by 6" long based on the suppressors I shot last week on my buddy's pistols.  With a 16" .920" diam barrel this should allow iron sights to be used if need be.

Aluminum is largely like steel in that it depends on the alloy as to what it will do. The amounts of things like magnesium, silica, tin, and others determines the porousness, flexibility, and dissipation rate.

For reference, anodizing is not strictly a coating. Anodizing is a treatment using electricity to chemically introduce particles (such as copper, in an acid bath) from a metal anode into the metal surface of the aluminum to a pre-determined depth/thickness (based on time in) to achieve a particular color such as silver, gold, black. Durability of anodizing depends on quality, alloy, and treatment process. If done right, it is really durable.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 02:06:07 PM »
I've seen it hold up to some surprising abuse when done right.
I've also seen it flake off when done wrong.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 02:09:05 PM »
I've seen it hold up to some surprising abuse when done right.
I've also seen it flake off when done wrong.

Yep.

Alloy, surface prep, application....there are a lot of variables.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 04:30:28 PM »
Just talked to my buddy and there is about a four to six month wait on Form 1 processing  ::)

As far as anodizing goes I've been making AL parts for over 15 years but I've only been working with the finished product for 5.  I did get a chance to tour our Plating and Anodizing vendor last fall so I am famliar with the process.  I think I'll give it a whirl.
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
Just talked to my buddy and there is about a four to six month wait on Form 1 processing ::)

As far as anodizing goes I've been making AL parts for over 15 years but I've only been working with the finished product for 5.  I did get a chance to tour our Plating and Anodizing vendor last fall so I am famliar with the process.  I think I'll give it a whirl.

From what I have heard from others that is only for 1st time applicants.
The more times you go through the process the faster the turn around becomes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk