Author Topic: Oh dear now DHS is upset!  (Read 13847 times)

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Oh dear now DHS is upset!
« on: May 29, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »

Saw this in a trade paper I get and had to laugh. Apparently the DHS is upset that the world won't cooperate and follow their regulations!

Once somebody figures out how to ceramic coat the inside of the barrel to handle the heat and erosion it should get even better.

http://security-today.com/articles/2013/05/24/3d-printed-guns-topic-of-bulletin-from-homeland-security-to-law-enforcement.aspx
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

tombogan03884

Re: Oh dear now DHS is upset!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »
DHS is why people think an all plastic gun is needed.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »
i just think its cool, not very practical(at this time, might be in the future)  I think its a very cool tech that is going to change how alot of things are done.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

unclejames

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
The cartridges it fires are still made of metal. Brass, copper, lead and steel will all show up on a metal detector. People need to unclench.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 07:09:41 PM »
i just think its cool, not very practical(at this time, might be in the future)  I think its a very cool tech that is going to change how alot of things are done.

I heard NASA is working on a  Pizza 3D printer..the pizza is just an easy first try because of it's shape..  But it seems it will run from bottles of nutrients that have an extremely long shelf life, even after installed in the printer.  So it might be cost savings..no waste or spoilage.  No word on if the product will support human life yet....

And a lot of variety might be possible for a journey to, say, Mars or beyond.

http://www.fedtechmagazine.com/article/2013/05/nasa-wants-fuel-astronauts-pizza-3d-printer
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:32:37 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:42:27 PM »
i just think its cool, not very practical(at this time, might be in the future)  I think its a very cool tech that is going to change how alot of things are done.

I heard NASA is working on a  Pizza 3D printer..the pizza is just an easy first try because of it's shape..  But it seems it will run from bottles of nutrients that have an extremely long shelf life, even after installed in the printer.  So it might be cost savings..no waste or spoilage.  No word on if the product will support human life yet....

And a lot of variety might be possible for a journey to, say, Mars or beyond.

http://www.fedtechmagazine.com/article/2013/05/nasa-wants-fuel-astronauts-pizza-3d-printer

Lets just call it what it is, a "replicater" .   ;D

Here's the thing though, it's "multi media".
You use plastics and make a gun or wrench, use nutrients and print a pizza , where is this going ?
Put in some DNA and print someone a new heart or kidney ?
How about building a really big one to print a ship, or plane ?
One question about the material, after a project can you take the material that did not become part and reuse it ?

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »
Recently they printed a throat for a kid and it saved his life.    the applcantions for being able to print a object are endless.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:20:29 AM »
Recently they printed a throat for a kid and it saved his life.    the applcantions for being able to print a object are endless.

They've been doing that with joints for a while out of Titanium alloy IIRC.
He who dares wins.  SAS

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 12:23:23 PM »
Tom, the answer to your question should be yes. I'm sure there are some limitations if the residue contains multiple components, however.
Your question was a good one, as the materials can be quite expensive.
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 02:55:27 PM »
If the printers got down to where they could create stuff at the molecular level...print working internals of molecules, they might be getting close to working organs.

I think Nanotechnology would get there first. 

If I had stacks of cash to invest and 20 years to wait, I'd be looking hard at Nanotech companies. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanotechnology
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk