Author Topic: Irma and Florida  (Read 17950 times)

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Irma and Florida
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 07:39:38 AM »
Have you heard about people selling cases of bottled water for $100 and some places selling gasoline for $10 a gallon? That's what happened with Harvey and it could be even worse with Irma.

Some puke on Amazon was selling a case of water for $99.99.  It's amazingly wrong and heartless.

Still no water available in local Publix or Walmarts.  Tap water is certainly good to drink--at least at the moment.  We've filled Tupperware containers and stuck them in the freezer--just in case.

This morning's spaghetti model report still shows Irma hitting Miami at full force then stays just offshore until the Georgia border. (MyFoxHurricane.com) It could hit the Carolinas.  On the way up to Georgia, its going to do a lot of damage all along the eastern coast of Florida.  The only good news in all of this is that Jose looks to stay offshore and die a lonely death in the North Atlantic.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 10:36:40 AM »
Could you send some of that rain to Montana?  We need it bad!

I have a buddy that lives in Daytona Beach, right by the water no less.  After Andrew, he rebuilt with a concrete house, some wicked durable windows, etc. Have not been able to reach him to see what they are doing for plans currently.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
Crusader... if you can access the drain to your hot water heater... a short section of garden hose is convenient to use

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 07:56:57 PM »
The wife just said current update has it potentially shifting west over the center of Florida and hitting father west through Georgia than yesterday's prediction.
The darn thing is following us, as we were just on Amelia Island and headed home this morning. Traffic was moderate on I-95 when we crossed over, and was fairly light on US 1 northbound and US 82 westbound  (most of that was campers like us), but I expect that to change over the next 48 hours.

Our town of Tifton is right on I-75 and ran out of gas two days ago, but has been re-supplied mostly. All the motel rooms in the area are booked.
Gas is running $2.69 for regular and bottled water is still $2.30 per case. We have 13,000 gallons in the pool to use for toilet flushing is the power goes out.

CR, Haz, and Les (as well as our other Fl brothers) we'll continue to pray for you guys.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 12:02:14 AM »
I'm surprised the price gouging isn't worse. Coming home Wednesday I saw station after station selling gas for $2.65/gallon. I expected the price to get lower as I traveled south for 2 hours but forgot to see what it was here. I waited until Thursday to gas up on the other side of town where gas is usually around 5-10 cents cheaper. It was $2.75/gallon and must have gone up about 15 cents in one day. I got 40 cents off per gallon by using my shopper's card from the grocery store. I got almost 27 gallons and it would have been maybe $4 cheaper the day before. Oh well.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:26:53 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 884
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »
Crusader... if you can access the drain to your hot water heater... a short section of garden hose is convenient to use

This!  Make sure that before there is a breach of the infrastructure you shut off the valves to secure the tank, and DO NOT OPEN THE SUPPLY SIDE.  Also wise to isolate your plumbing as close to the water main as possible.  If you have or have access to the tool, shut off your curb stop

Another prepper move is to fill your bathtub with fresh water prior to contamination.  I know, I know, this is the wallow CR uses in rut, but it is still better than nothing  ;)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »
Couple of things.   

You can fill your bathtub with water to be used for sanitary purposes.  Soap residue makes it unfit for drinking.

Might be too late to get these now, but they make bathtub liners so they can be filled and used for drinking water.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »
You can fill your bathtub with water to be used for sanitary purposes.  Soap residue makes it unfit for drinking. Might be too late to get these now, but they make bathtub liners so they can be filled and used for drinking water.

http://www.h2ofilters.com/waemdrwast.html?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAjw_8jNBRB-EiwA96Yp1us9F_44n17v-e_f7ytjAxAni1JZ2i6t6VzinY5Ae8GJAQlrjpVIERoCA9oQAvD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkdZ2ag7KGU

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »
If you fill a bathtub or any containers with water be sure to use only cold water. You don't want to drink the stuff that collects in a water heater. It's fine to wash with but I would only drink it as a last resort. Hopefully you guys in flood prone areas have water filters so you can drink water from the water heater and other questionable sources.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 884
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 02:26:17 PM »
Couple of things.   

You can fill your bathtub with water to be used for sanitary purposes.  Soap residue makes it unfit for drinking.

Might be too late to get these now, but they make bathtub liners so they can be filled and used for drinking water.

My assumption was that he would clean the tub first.  Bleach diluted one cup in water to make a one gallon solution (8oz + 120oz) will clean and disinfect.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk