Author Topic: Irma and Florida  (Read 17946 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
Re: Irma and Florida
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2017, 12:06:11 PM »
Potable Aqua brand water purification tablets are available at sporting goods stores all over the country. Their main product is PA Iodine tablets which are made for short term use. After your water is treated with PA tablets, and after waiting the appropriate amount of time, you can add PA+ tablets to remove the Iodine taste. Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin C, is also supposed to remove Iodine taste and is the main ingredient in Kool-Aid powder so you can try that too. Chlorine like they use in city water is better for long term use than Iodine. Potable Aqua also sells it as Chlorine Dioxide tablets. The active ingredients are actually Sodium Chlorite and Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate Dihydrate. Basically it's the same as Sodium Hypochlorite household bleach since it's the Chlorine that does the job of disinfection. Potable Aqua also sells Chlorine test strips to check if you have enough Chlorine in your water. They have just about everything you need to purify water. http://www.potableaqua.com/products/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 01:28:25 PM »
Many people have to be very careful with their iodine intake. If it gets unbalanced, it can screw up their thyroid big time.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »
What's the latest, Crusader? 

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2017, 03:51:48 PM »
current forecast track doesn't look good for Pinellas and Pasco Counties....

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2017, 11:37:53 PM »
Many people have to be very careful with their iodine intake. If it gets unbalanced, it can screw up their thyroid big time.

That's one reason iodine tablets are only good for short term use. If you already have thyroid problems iodine can make it worse by lowering your thyroid levels, but if you don't have thyroid problems you'll probably be okay. Even if you do have side effects your body should eventually sort itself out after you quit drinking it. Chlorine is a lot better. I've been drinking chlorinated water my whole life and never had any problems related to the chlorine.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:51:09 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2017, 05:39:31 AM »
Another friend posted and I thought was important to share. USAA members
If your zone is MANDATORY evacuated and you have homeowners or renters insurance through USAA, call them and let them know. They will pay for your gas, food and hotel to evacuate. It's called prohibited usage for emergencies under renters/owners insurance. They will cover lodging for up to two weeks.1-800-531-8722
Please copy and paste the status to share with your family and friends
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2017, 08:08:51 AM »
Having experienced TS Dottie in 76, stuck on the third deck of my barracks in Key West was pretty bad.

I would never live in Florida but for those of you that are, I hope and pray for your safety.  Keep your heads down.  This is a nasty bitch!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »
This is pure speculation on my part. But after this is all over with, and insurance companies have paid out on claims they are contractually bound to. I'm guessing they are going to be through writing policies on homes in these hurricane prone areas. Especially in places that are going to be facing total destruction, like the Keys.

Insuring a home in the Keys, especially a high dollar one, (which most all of them are), is a bit like insuring a 22 year old drunk driver with 8 convictions, and 5 accidents. Why would they even bother? It's simply not worth the risk for them. Regardless of what they charge. Between Houston, Florida, and the Caribbean, they are going to be looking at close to, if not over $1 Trillion in total cost. And Florida homeowners policies are already over twice what the rest of the nation pays. Not to mention what this is going to do to the property values there. Even after it's cleaned up. As if the sinkhole issue wasn't bad enough. 

Timothy

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 08:35:50 AM »
After Andrew in 92, my home owners policy in CT jumped about 25% in cost.  I inquired as to why from my agent and was told due to their high liability in Florida they'd incurred considerable losses and needed to recoup those losses.

I told them I didn't live in Florida!  Reduce my premiums or you're fired!  They went down somewhat but I fired them anyway...

Timothy

Irma and Florida
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »
I heard yesterday that along with the 80% that did not have flood insurance in Houston, about 50% of Floridians don't either!  I wonder if it's because underwriters won't cover them?

Around here, you can't get a mortgage if you live in a flood plain if you don't buy flood coverage!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk