Author Topic: More on the .22 for SD Argument  (Read 16560 times)

tombogan03884

Re: More on the .22 for SD Argument
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »
1.  Gun must be easily carried or it will not be carried;
2.  Gun must be easily and accurately shot by shooter;
3.  Ammunition must be available and affordable for both practice and carry;
4.  Gun and ammunition must go bang every time the trigger is pulled and not when it isn't;
5.  It must be viewed as a negative by the attacker.

I agree with what you posted but your "Rule #1" is really the only one that matters in the .22 debate.
As an example, a totally reliable .44 magnum left home is less use than even a .25 that you have with you.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 08:00:57 AM »
The point Tom is that a self defense tool is a self defense tool.  Two of the items at the top of my gripes list are the .22 for self defense and birdshot for home defense.  We need to quit worrying about if it is big enough and bad enough, and just follow the basic rules of avoidance and self defense.

If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »
The point Tom is that a self defense tool is a self defense tool.  Two of the items at the top of my gripes list are the .22 for self defense and birdshot for home defense.  We need to quit worrying about if it is big enough and bad enough, and just follow the basic rules of avoidance and self defense.

m58, I'm not sure of your position here.   

Are you saying that if you were advising someone who is capable and able to use standard SD pistols from the .22LR to the .45ACP  effectively and they were leaning towards carrying the .22LR as their primary SD weapon, you would tell them it is a fine choice?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 11:37:32 AM »
I am not recommending any caliber.  I am stating that choice of style and power is personal. 

I gave my list of how to choose.  For an experienced shooter I would add "The largest caliber you can comfortably shoot and control.  However beyond that, having a gun that is 100% reliable and that you practice with on a regular basis, and that is with you at all times is the most important factor.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 10:45:14 PM »
I am not recommending any caliber.  I am stating that choice of style and power is personal. 

I gave my list of how to choose. For an experienced any shooter I would add "The largest caliber you can comfortably shoot and control.  However beyond that, having a gun that is 100% reliable and that you practice with on a regular basis, and that is with you at all times is the most important factor.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:40:46 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 06:11:12 AM »
Bigger holes bleed faster.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
Bigger holes bleed faster.

True, but misses don't leak

Desertrat

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
It would not be MY first choice....but for people like my wife who do not like "big bangs", I would
rather she used her .22 than something she would be afraid to shoot.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »
I absolutely understand some peoples' need for using the .22 for SD BUT there is another and I think better, option.

It is the 5.7.  Main reason is that it is a CENTER fire cartridge therefor MUCH less likely to misfire.  It is still a very soft recoil and has lots of rounds, good penetration and good energy dump in the target.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 06:43:14 AM »
The 5.7 is what Maj. Hassan Nidal used in his Ft Hood terror rampage. I would look at the results of that before selecting that caliber. There is also the Kel Tec PMR 30. 30 Rounds of .22mag in a pistol.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk