Author Topic: Left hand bolt gun for right hand shooter  (Read 14501 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Left hand bolt gun for right hand shooter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 06:49:26 PM »
PS WILL SOMEONE PLEASE SHOOT THAT JACKASS WHO IS HAVING A LETS RECREATE THE KENNEDY ASSASINATION COMPETITION?  Not only is that in obscenely poor taste, (911 anyone)? Its not like gunowners don't have enough to
wory about without a headline like "Gun Industry Leader Glorifying Presidential Assasinations !!". Not only isn't it funny, its just like...well, I really can't think of an anaolgy as to how suicidal that is in these days and with this president. Obama assasination threats however oblique or unitentional are not funny. Step away from the crack pipe Mr. Davis.
[/quote]

Well Bill has been doing this for 20 years and it is an exercise, There were many observers that said Oswald could not have made that shot on a moving target with that equipment, this is a way to validate true or false, it did prove true, and with shooters who shot left handed like Oswald, the Warren commission didn't try it, so how do you find out for real? wait for Mythbusters??? You recreate it, and of course it is a paper target on a cable, moving at the right speed and distance, and the shooter is at the right elevation, shooting from a window, with the same 20 something dollar equipment that was used. Mr. Davis's invention has saved thousands of lives, He had some recent trouble with substandard kevlar, that he is now paying for, He is a patriot and a no bullshit guy, He will demonstrate his vests by shooting himself, with .357 and .44 mags, I believe in his product but would not do that on a drunken bet. I suppose we should not use humanoid targets to practice at for self defense.
Headlines " People are training to kill other people " oh the Horror :o  Setting an apple on the top of a human shaped target to recreate the William Tell shot, I guess we should scrap that, or any Alvin York scenario, SASS better quit thinking the Ok Corral scenario, is fun. It's ok for Oliver Stone to film untruths, and make money on it about the war, the assassination and so forth, but good God, a few real shooters in a tournament as a side match, come on, I'm not drinking the media coolaid, or burying my head in the sand, with my butt in the air

We were doing shooting from a moving vehicle for our tactical matches, something not too many ranges would do, and one of the board members was worrying about the media seeing this and saying we were training for drive by shooting, which of course we were, and the question is? We might not need this experience? Getting out of a riot scenario, in a moving vehicle, not driving through a neighborhood shooting at houses. >:(

We have to back up what we do, the media is rarely going to be our friend, but we have got to quit backing up, if questioned, yes I am training for protecting my family, state and country, from all enemies, foreign and domestic, no scenario is out of place, if you can historically explain it, A counter sniper stage, that would be the reverse of the Kennedy assassination, with a man on the ground or on top of a building, scanning for potential snipers would be valid, and believe me, that happens any where the presidents, current or past, go's, because of the Kennedy scenario, and yes it should be done, because We learn to look for threats, we at one time didn't expect, but happened.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 07:50:31 PM »
PS WILL SOMEONE PLEASE SHOOT THAT JACKASS WHO IS HAVING A LETS RECREATE THE KENNEDY ASSASINATION COMPETITION?  Not only is that in obscenely poor taste, (911 anyone)? Its not like gunowners don't have enough to
wory about without a headline like "Gun Industry Leader Glorifying Presidential Assasinations !!". Not only isn't it funny, its just like...well, I really can't think of an anaolgy as to how suicidal that is in these days and with this president. Obama assasination threats however oblique or unitentional are not funny. Step away from the crack pipe Mr. Davis.

He means RE ENACTING the KENNEDY assassination, not staging another assassination.

M 25, I think you misunderstand fightingquaker13. my understanding of his post is that he thinks the guy is calling for a NEW assassination

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 10:04:22 PM »
Jim Carmical (sp?) wrote an article in Outdoor Life a few years back advocating left side bolts for right handed shooters and visa versa. He has mentioned since that he uses LH rifles from time to time.

As a left eye dominate righty, I have been shooting rifles and shotguns from my left shoulder since YMCA camp when I was 9. I like single shots, LH bolts, and semiautos. I did / do have trouble loading an M1 clip. But it can be done. Not easily but it can be done as long as you don't try to use your left hand to load. And I am afraid I do have several RH bolt action rifles. If I am using a sling with a RH bolt, I reach over the top. If no sling I use my right hand sometimes.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
wory about without a headline like "Gun Industry Leader Glorifying Presidential Assasinations !!". Not only isn't it funny, its just like...well, I really can't think of an anaolgy as to how suicidal that is in these days and with this president. Obama assasination threats however oblique or unitentional are not funny. Step away from the crack pipe Mr. Davis.  (fightingquaker13

Well Bill has been doing this for 20 years and it is an exercise, There were many observers that said Oswald could not have made that shot on a moving target with that equipment, this is a way to validate true or false, it did prove true, and with shooters who shot left handed like Oswald, the Warren commission didn't try it, so how do you find out for real? wait for Mythbusters??? You recreate it, and of course it is a paper target on a cable, moving at the right speed and distance, and the shooter is at the right elevation, shooting from a window, with the same 20 something dollar equipment that was used. Mr. Davis's invention has saved thousands of lives, He had some recent trouble with substandard kevlar, that he is now paying for, He is a patriot and a no bullshit guy, (M25)

M25

Thanks for your reply to my post. I have to say the peice did not start out to be political, but merely me trying to share what I had learned over the years as a lefty who likes bolt actions. However, I admit, that I lost it when the shooting contest in question was mentioned. I did not know why it was done, (as a Grassy Knoll who-done-it), or that this had been going on for two decades. I simply saw the mention of this, knew and respected Bill Davis's reputation, and thought "Oh Christ here we go". The point is that this not the kind of thing we want to see hit the papers going into an assault weapons ban debate, with the odds, at best, even. There is nobody there who hasn't worried about assasination since 911, and this is particularly true with an African American presiident. I just struck me, that this was bone stupid in terms of what the media COULD, and maybe WOULD do with a story they could twist into a bunch of rednecks treating Dallas as just a bit of fun (at best). Call me cynical, but as a political scientist by training and profession, I tend to look for the obvious political vulnerabilties, and try to avoid presenting them to the opposition. This is something we all, particularly people like Mr. Davis, with his fame and name recognition, need to pay attention to in the weeks and months to come. Call it the political equivilent of situational awareness, eg, don't hand the enemy a weapon. While I now know this was an exercise in "could Oswald have done it", I didn't before. Look how pissed I got, and I'm the NRA. Now picture a soccer mom who leans anti to neutral and magnify by ten. It is one thing not to back down, and another to play smart. We have to play smart.Sorry if folks took offense.
fighting quaker13

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 08:28:02 PM »
Thank you Quaker13, for listening to my position, your response, shows what kind of forum We have and are very proud of, your response struck a nerve with me as well, and I felt I could not let it stand. I agree, with being cautious, but being apologetic, has gotten us nowhere, We should not have to explain ourselves as gunowners and 2A supporters, ( and there are some who don't own guns, but support the 2A), for applying a right, enunciated in the constitution, shooting is practicing that right, in many different ways, sport is sport, practice is practice, and hunting is hunting, practicing to defend ourselves against tyranny is on the surface, something to be worried about, because we have been conditioned, and the powers that be don't want to hear that Part. One of my representatives here in Texas is Susan Gratia Hupp, and she told congress and the senate exactly that. I believe in the end, this will go further, than trying not to step on toes. Go to youtube, and type in her name and listen to her points, she's great. Another unafraid, no BS proponent. In my opinion, if the cops and military ( and I love both ) can practice it, we should definitely practice for it too. ;D

Respectfully M25
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:42:17 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1109
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 10:23:44 PM »
Read more about Suzanna Gratia Hupp on Wikipedia. She's an awesome pro 2A lady. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanna_Hupp
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 10:46:06 PM »
Thank you Quaker13, for listening to my position, your response, shows what kind of forum We have and are very proud of, your response struck a nerve with me as well, and I felt I could not let it stand. I agree, with being cautious, but being apologetic, has gotten us nowhere, We should not have to explain ourselves as gunowners and 2A supporters, ( and there are some who don't own guns, but support the 2A), for applying a right, enunciated in the constitution, shooting is practicing that right, in many different ways, sport is sport, practice is practice, and hunting is hunting, practicing to defend ourselves against tyranny is on the surface, something to be worried about, because we have been conditioned, and the powers that be don't want to hear that Part. One of my representatives here in Texas is Susan Gratia Hupp, and she told congress and the senate exactly that. I believe in the end, this will go further, than trying not to step on toes. Go to youtube, and type in her name and listen to her points, she's great. Another unafraid, no BS proponent. In my opinion, if the cops and military ( and I love both ) can practice it, we should definitely practice for it too. ;D

Respectfully M25

M25
Thanks, really didn't mean to start a fight. The only thing I'd add is that its not about being cautious or apologetic, its about being tactical. There's a time and a place to lay out the the whole 2A argument, and a time and a place to focus with lazer like efficiency on one point and ignore all the other stuff. The guy who wins an argument, isn't the guy who knows what to say, but rather the guy who also knows what not to say, and why. Remember this isn't a debate/argument between us and the Antis, its political theater for the don't know/don't cares who can jump either way. Its not just about having the best passer, its about having the best passer who knows when to give it to the running back.
peace
fightingquaker13

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 11:56:23 AM »

I'll jump in here to point out that Civil rights for minorities , women and gays were not achieved through reasonable debate.
The way we got to this point where we are fighting for the very existence of gun rights is by giving a crap about either the anti's OR the fence sitters. The point that MUST be communicated is that , as Mao said, "All political power comes from the barrel of a gun." We have them, and we are keeping them, and any one who doesn't like that is free to leave the country.

wvduece

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 03:14:59 PM »
i am right handed but i shoot left handed it seem very difficult to shoot off my right shoulder just the way i learned when i was a yungen i wasnt strong enuf to hold a 12 ga shotgun up with my lefy harm so i held it with my right just got use to shooting that way i have no problems working the bolt

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk