Author Topic: Atlanta Burning  (Read 7627 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Atlanta Burning
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2020, 08:04:57 AM »
All officers are getting $500.  It's not coming from the city but from an independent "Foundation" that normally helps widows, pays college tuition for police orphans and buys protective gear for officers. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 889
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2020, 08:20:33 AM »
All officers are getting $500.  It's not coming from the city but from an independent "Foundation" that normally helps widows, pays college tuition for police orphans and buys protective gear for officers.

I read that as part of this the Foundation is also purchasing several patrol cars to replace and update ones that were destroyed in the rioting, and they are purchasing some other gear as well.  The stated purpose is to shore up and increase the morale of the officers.  Morale has been a concern of the Mayor and Council, and the Foundation, for a period.

The bottom line I picked up after digesting the full article is that by using the Foundation in this way, the community, including the government, can support and reward the officers without a public riot.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2020, 08:24:45 AM »
Is my impression correct that Atlanta IS supporting it's police Dept ?
Didn't I see something about them increasing the police budget or something ?
You're in the area.
I'm stuck with news services I don't trust, and Facebook, which I assume is BS unless I can find other confirmation.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 889
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2020, 08:29:21 AM »
Everything I read is that Atlanta is doing the best they can to be a common sense government and community.  They recognize they have a few bad apples, like everyone, that good men make mistakes, and that overall things are good.  However, they are also smart enough to walk gently, because idiots from the outside will be the ones that bring the trouble.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »
We need to support the ones who are actually trying.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:09:07 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2020, 08:49:14 AM »
Budgets being what they are because of the lockdown it's doubtful in public agency can afford an increase.

The chief that just stepped down was rank and file.  She was mostly apolitical and good for the city and the officers.  most , I think, view her resignation as political expendiency by City Hall.  Even though she had fired a several officers rather abruptly, overall she was viewed positively by officers.  Scuttlebutt from Cobb PD friends.

The real morale killer was filing murder charges before the GBI had completed their investigation.  I'd hate to be the head of the GBI.  As I said the DA is very political, not well liked and under investigation himself. 

My guess is the GBI won't support the murder charges.  I also can see, like in the Aubrey case, a special prosecutor being assigned by the governor.  I see the second officer's charges being dropped.  I see all charges except involuntary manslaughter being dropped for the first officer.  That'll play out in court in another venue and no telling what the jury will do.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2020, 10:10:09 AM »
Oh it just gets better.

Two weeks ago APD pulled two students from their car in connection with a protest and Tased them.   This same ATL DA charged these officers with use of deadly force.   

Evidently, a Taser is considered a deadly weapon under GA statues.

Will work for ammo

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2020, 11:22:23 AM »
Oh it just gets better.

Two weeks ago APD pulled two students from their car in connection with a protest and Tased them.   This same ATL DA charged these officers with use of deadly force.   

Evidently, a Taser is considered a deadly weapon under GA statues.

Unless used against a cop.
<definite sarcasm>
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2020, 11:36:51 AM »
Unless used by a black man against a white cop.
<definite sarcasm>

Fixed.   

Now i know this is a whole different  time frame, but back when i was basically  a cop in the coast guard.  If my weapon is touched during a struggle roe was to shoot, same if a weapon was taken, reguardless of if they were running away or not.  Hell, i remember when i was on a cutter and we had a drug boat fire at us with an ak at about 300ish yards. Lets just say of there was any less than 500# of lead added to the boat i would be shocked.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »
. Lets just say of there was any less than 500# of lead added to the boat i would be shocked.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to ridiculous excess.    ;D
Did you get to use the deck gun ?   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk