Author Topic: $50.00 For A Box Of .380!  (Read 9337 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: $50.00 For A Box Of .380!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 06:51:33 PM »
ammoengine.com

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.45_ACP

click on the link,...if their out, got to the next one.

380 is all bad....
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 08:32:08 PM »
I've been told (still find it hard to believe) the fastest selling ammo in the country is .25ACP, followed by .380, then 9mm & .40 are about even.  Only the .25 ACP surprises me.  I had no idea that many women were packing heat, much less hording ammo!

Kinda hot! ;D

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 11:27:03 AM »
billt, because several companies have recently brought out new .380's ammo is hard to get/find at any price!  Try finding components and dies for .380 and the story is the same...hard to find and expensive if you can and probably backordered like everything else if you can't.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »
I'm not understanding the popularity of less powerful rounds??? This doesn't happen with auto engines. People want POWER plain and simple. All that the .380 is, is nothing more than a short 9 MM. The 9 MM is considered a "barely enough" defense round. The .380 is less than that regardless how you cut the cake. I like compact weapons that are easy to carry as much as the next guy, but with that said I'll take a Glock 30 loaded with 10 rounds of .45 ACP over any .380. There isn't much more to "pack", in relationship to what you get. To each his own, as they say.  Bill T.

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »
I'm not understanding the popularity of less powerful rounds??? This doesn't happen with auto engines. People want POWER plain and simple. All that the .380 is, is nothing more than a short 9 MM. The 9 MM is considered a "barely enough" defense round. The .380 is less than that regardless how you cut the cake. I like compact weapons that are easy to carry as much as the next guy, but with that said I'll take a Glock 30 loaded with 10 rounds of .45 ACP over any .380. There isn't much more to "pack", in relationship to what you get. To each his own, as they say.  Bill T.
My understanding is that the .380 shortage has been caused by the rash of new concealed carry licensees and due to lots of "new" gun owners.

The .380 caliber is very popular with newbies, due to the small size of most guns and the relatively low entrance level pricing.

I have also heard that .380 and 9mm have a large following in the gang banger world, for the same reasons listed above.

All of the reasons listed are supposed to be contributing to the .380 shortage.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:55:58 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 12:57:21 PM »
Kid, you may be right. As much as it pains me to say we have to give up the "right" to buy ammo to worthless, "gang bangers".  Bill T.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 01:47:18 PM »
I agree with Bill on this. The popularity of .380, and its real, mystifies me. You can build a 9mm of approximately the same size. Why compromise? Its why I went 9mm in the 1st place. I considered it a compromise round, but since most PDs and the military were using it I figured ammo would be cheaper and more available than .45. It was still a compromise. If Kel Tec can build a small 9mm, why didn't Ruger? I would never trust my life to .380 if I had a choice, and I do. I just do not get why its so popular.
FQ13

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 08:46:21 PM »
In the steaming, swamp that is S. Florida, my little Kel-Tec .380 is with me. Is it the best round for SD? Of course not. Home defense is a complete other story, and short of depleted uranium rds., my house would be a bad choice to attack.

However, the .380 ammo has advanced just like golf balls, cell phones, blu-ray DVD's, HD TV, etc,....Speer, Cor-Bon, Golden Sabre, are a good round.

Remember, the shots won;t take place at a standard happy distance of 7 to 10 yds. The guy jumping your ass in the parking lot of Winn-Dixie will be much closer. Point Blank or 8 to 10 feet renders nasty results with a .380.

It's summertime, take a watermelon out back and stand two feet away and shoot one with a 90gr. Speer GD. JHP, The pieces left are salad size.

They are also carried by many LEO's and others as a BUG. The round works AS INTENDED. The only other MAJOR factor, as with any caliber is SHOT PLACEMENT & PRACTICE.

You can have a Desert Eagle .50, or .44 Magnum,.... if your out of practice, have poor shooting habits, have a lack of situational awareness, think "your the man" and go shoot out back a couple times,... Most BG's don't do any of this. They just have a gun and an attitude problem.

Me and my Walther PPK/S, or Kel-Tec P3AT, that practice ALOT, will surprise any punk ass that tries to take me in the parking lot.

And I will drop them where they stand...

Rant off...

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
I just visited my local gun dealer today. I was ABSOLUTELY shocked to see he had .380 in stock. The amazing part of it, besides the fact that he had several cases of the stuff, he was selling it for $15.95 a box of 50. Brass case FMJ.

I mentioned to him the fact that places like cheaperthendirt was selling stuff like that for $50 a box but whether people were buying it, I didn't know. He laughed and said maybe he should change the price on his stock. I said to be a nice and offer a good deal so he should  only charge $40 a box.   ;D

I really hope there aren't people out there actually paying that much for ammo.

Bad thing about the trip there, he got me and a buddy drooling all over a S&W .460 he had just gotten in. He was asking $1050 for it, but I don't have that kinda cash just sitting around. Would really love to bring the thing home with me though.... Oh well. So many toys, so little money!
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 09:33:48 PM »
S&W .460 he had just gotten in. He was asking $1050 for it, but I don't have that kinda cash just sitting around. Would really love to bring the thing home with me though.... Oh well. So many toys, so little money!

Safe queen, kept in case of those damn Zombies,......ammo is WORSE THAN .380!!!!

Got it before I remarried....when I had money... :-\

Practical? NO,  Economical??? Hell NO..Glad to have it?   YES!! 8)
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk