Author Topic: Suppressor Question.  (Read 7352 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Suppressor Question.
« on: May 11, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »
I was wondering if and how well a suppressor designed for .223 or 5.56 would work for a .22 or .22 mag?  Has anyone tried this?
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Suppressor Question.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »
I have shot .22rf with suppressors built for a 9mm, now these are high grade units, and they work beautifully, as in, hear the bolt work and the bullet smack, with nothing in between.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

ske1eter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 07:49:02 PM »
I am absolutely no suppressor expert but my thoughts would be that if you shot a lot of .22LR through a suppressor that can't be disassembled, you would get some lead build up that might degrade the suppressor effectiveness over time.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »
1st don't buy one that can't be disassembled and cleaned, and yes your right, but it takes thousands of rounds, if you shoot a .22 conversion full auto, this could be a real concern, but if cleanable, just normal maintenance.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 01:42:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Currently in Michigan we can't have suppressors.  I keep holding out hope that our Attorney General will rule that they are legal as he did with machine guns as it is the same part of Michigan law.  My thoughts were if I were ever able to legally get one would be to obtain one designed for .223 and use it to double duty for .22 ad .22 mag also.   
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:56:56 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:03:32 PM »
Works great on 22LR.  I dunno about the 22 mag....it'd be supersonic and you'd still get the crack...but should be quieter than .223/5.56.  I slip a 22 conversion unit into one of the AR's and put rounds through my AAC M4-2000....it works fine!  There's a bit more gap having 22 LR inside .223 supressor than having a 22LR supressor. 

I've shot a 22 LR with a 9mm screwed on then end and it too drops the sound way down...though not like one built for the 22LR. 

If you are looking for one that does double duty the .223/5.56 will do it but you will have a lot more weight because of the power the .223/5.56 is designed for.  It'll weigh down a pistol if you have the right threads/adapter....and be substantially heavier than a regular 22LR supressor which is, at least the lighter ones, aluminum bodied beasties.

If you can only have one....I would not mind the .223 at all.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 01:58:15 PM »
Works great on 22LR.  I dunno about the 22 mag....it'd be supersonic and you'd still get the crack...but should be quieter than .223/5.56.  I slip a 22 conversion unit into one of the AR's and put rounds through my AAC M4-2000....it works fine!  There's a bit more gap having 22 LR inside .223 supressor than having a 22LR supressor. 

I've shot a 22 LR with a 9mm screwed on then end and it too drops the sound way down...though not like one built for the 22LR. 

If you are looking for one that does double duty the .223/5.56 will do it but you will have a lot more weight because of the power the .223/5.56 is designed for.  It'll weigh down a pistol if you have the right threads/adapter....and be substantially heavier than a regular 22LR supressor which is, at least the lighter ones, aluminum bodied beasties.

If you can only have one....I would not mind the .223 at all.

Have you ever had any issues with AAC? I have heard from some trusted friends that their customer service is pretty lacking.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 07:06:43 AM »
Have you ever had any issues with AAC? I have heard from some trusted friends that their customer service is pretty lacking.

Belated reply.  Yes and no.  I have had no issues with my cans requiring AAC customer service; they are well built.  AAC's website to order other stuff is clunky...it allowed me to order a quick-connect that was not in stock...after 3 weeks I emailed one afternoon and early the next day they contacted me apologizing and asking how I wanted to proceed.  I waited until they manufactured more and they sent me a spiffy t-shirt due to the "snafu" on the website.  So....that interaction was great.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk