Author Topic: DIY Items  (Read 17684 times)

tombogan03884

DIY Items
« on: January 01, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »
Part of the reason for this forum is legal information about NFA  items.
But once we cover our legal angles there remain the "Do it yourselfers".
Several of us on this forum are metal workers, gunsmiths, or other types of craftsman who may be interested in making guns and associated items themselves rather than just assembling purchased parts.
Other threads can cover the details of legality.
This thread is concerned strictly with crafting.

http://www.cncguns.com/downloads.html

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DIY Items
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:54:27 AM »
I wonder if a hard anodize finish would be worth pursuing on an all AL build like that? 

Could do the exterior in Hard Black and the interior parts Hard Clear for better carbon build up identification.

Cant sleep, food for thought....
He who dares wins.  SAS

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:05:47 AM »
I wonder if a hard anodize finish would be worth pursuing on an all AL build like that? 

Could do the exterior in Hard Black and the interior parts Hard Clear for better carbon build up identification.

Cant sleep, food for thought....

I would say no, for 2 reasons.

1 anodizeing, has less thermal expantion then the under lieing metal. so there is a better chance of cracking.  which will expose raw AL to o2.

2 most solvents will take it right off.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:55:04 AM »

I would say no, for 2 reasons.

1 anodizeing, has less thermal expantion then the under lieing metal. so there is a better chance of cracking.  which will expose raw AL to o2.

2 most solvents will take it right off.

I know Acetone won't take off anodize, and I've seen applications were thermal expansion was an issue...  How hot does a supressor get, 180* F?
He who dares wins.  SAS

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:06 AM »
I know Acetone won't take off anodize, and I've seen applications were thermal expansion was an issue...  How hot does a supressor get, 180* F?

We have some suppressor owners on hear, and I'm sure one of them probably has or has access to an inferred thermometer and could check the temp out for us.

While we wait think of the heat of the barrel and gas tube.  The suppressor is subjected to the same gasses as these parts.  It is lighter than the barrel and heavier than the gas tube.  I suspect that under sustained fire that turns a gas tube cherry red and discolors the barrel the suppressor would not be far behind.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:30:01 AM »

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »
Hot enough to fry bacon.   yes, it is on YouTube...
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »
I don't know what material the gas tube is made from but I know the barrel is steel.
Aluminum dissipates heat a lot faster than steel so would cool faster between shots,
That is why when spot welding you need much lower temps for aluminum but much more energy to produce it.
How this would work out in practice I don't know beyond the fact that an aluminum part would be considerably cooler than a steel part of the same mass.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 09:47:17 AM »
Tom,

Not only does aluminum dissipate heat quicker, it also heats up quicker.  However, none of this matters when the suppressor is made of steel.  My gunsmith builds his out of steel, because he feels he can build tighter tolerances*, maintain precision*, and improve durability.

* Back to the whole heat transfer properties.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 09:53:56 AM »
I have to say that unless workability is an issue I to prefer steel over Aluminum.
However I just make parts, I don't design them.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »
I have to say that unless workability is an issue I to prefer steel over Aluminum.
However I just make parts, I don't design them.

I just wish I had the tools and ability to work with metal.  Used to have access to sheet metal tools when I worked in a small firm building all types of bold bins, tool boxes, and several other items.  I also had a friend that owned a lathe, milling machine, and several presses.  Today all I have is an old Lincoln welder - even sold the torch on the sale  :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk