Author Topic: Swimming in Brass  (Read 25946 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: Swimming in Brass
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 08:57:40 AM »
A easy way to get rid of the steal and brass plated steal cases is a pick up magnet sold at hardware stores to pick up nails from the ground. 

I have mine attached to the lid of my vibratory case cleaner.   its not missed  one yet, but even if it did I alway inspect/sort the brass as step 2.  So I would find it then.

I had never seen an S&B brass coated steel case until last night.   I recovered one of my super magnets from a disk drive and plunged it into the latest batch of brass.   "KLUNK".   It looks like brass.    Can't resize it, or it'll get stuck in the press.   Never saw one before.

I had already hand-picked the regular steel junk out, but I'll definitely do the magnet test in the future.   I'll give thought to mounting it in the lid of my vibrator, too. 

Thanks, TAB
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 07:40:06 AM »
The range where I RSO has buckets full of brass for sale. Can't get rid of it around here, so we boxed some up in a medium sized Priority Mail box (flat rate  ;) ) and we're going to put it on eBay. We even dropped the price to $5 per 100 for .45ACP, 9mm, etc. Amazing how many people around here do not reload. Even the guy shooting the FN 5.7. I now have soooo much of every caliber I need.

We also recycle buckets of .22, .25 Takarev, Wolf, Blazer, etc.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »
Ahhhhh if that was only .38 Super.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 03:18:35 PM »
The range where I RSO has buckets full of brass for sale. Can't get rid of it around here, so we boxed some up in a medium sized Priority Mail box (flat rate  ;) ) and we're going to put it on eBay. We even dropped the price to $5 per 100 for .45ACP, 9mm, etc. Amazing how many people around here do not reload. Even the guy shooting the FN 5.7. I now have soooo much of every caliber I need.

If I were you I'd take that to a scarp yard.  Brass is ~$2/lb   It adds up quick.  I took 4 brute cans full of copper cut offs and removed copper pipe and walked away with almost $7k  THis was a few years ago when the price of copper went nuts, but still thats alot of  "found cash"
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 05:00:04 PM »

Remind me of this next time I'm up there!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:55:04 PM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 05:49:27 PM »
Remind me of this next time I'm up there!

Just call me the Fixer, I can fix you up with whatever you need!  ;)   ;D

And try calling me sooner than an hour after you get here!!!!!!   >:(  ::)  ???

;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 06:01:35 PM »
Just call me the Fixer, I can fix you up with whatever you need!  ;)   ;D
And try calling me sooner than an hour after you get here!!!!!!   >:(  ::)  ???

;D

257 weatherby mag?????
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »
 I have 200 rounds of 45colt I bought as new empty brass during the Clinton years. They have been loaded 6 or 7 times each and are still in great shape.
 Range rules where I shoot are any brass that is left behind is fair pickings for anyone wanting it, I have collected  hundreds of 9mm, .40S&W and .45acp empty brass. Scrounging range brass can be an addiction, be careful because if you pick it up you will want to reload it.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »

257 weatherby mag?????

Um, no, sorry, it is a pistol range only. Possibly at the outdoor ranges, but they're under a foot of snow at the moment.

J.B. Books

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 06:56:16 PM »
.........., be careful because if you pick it up you will want to reload it.

I've found out I'm not the only one who's done this.   Collected brass for a caliber of which I don't own a gun.  Actually reload some of it, then tell the wife that I HAVE to go buy that gun cause I have all this ammo loaded.

Works for me.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk