Author Topic: Swimming in Brass  (Read 25948 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Swimming in Brass
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 07:31:21 AM »
Thats ture it is a little bit hotter then 125 power factor, but now that you can't make major with 9 mm, every one I knew that reloaded a 9mm now reloads 40 s&w.   ;)

40 is actually worth reloading for plinking.  as the cost is about $20/50 or about $.40  where as you can reload it for $.26 to dublcate the ww load.  thats $140 diffrence per thousand.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 07:44:02 AM »
Thats ture it is a little bit hotter then 125 power factor, but now that you can't make major with 9 mm, every one I knew that reloaded a 9mm now reloads 40 s&w.   ;)

40 is actually worth reloading for plinking.  as the cost is about $20/50 or about $.40  where as you can reload it for $.26 to dublcate the ww load.  thats $140 diffrence per thousand.

Actually, if you have a custom made 1911 in 9mm you can hop up your 9mm round to over 165PF.  A number of "big boys" do this for unlimited class.   Push a 125gr bullet at around 1,370fps.   It's hell on the brass.

In IPSC production everyone is classified as "minor" so there's no reason to shoot .40 except in the other classes.   I'm not about to get into the equipment game, so I'm dumping my XD40 down the road.  Probably for a backup XD9.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 07:57:16 AM »
The reason they went to the 40 as min cal to make major was that issue.  I know lots of guys that were shooting 38 super and would litterlty destroy the brass with the 1st shot.  the guys doing it with 9mm luger were pushing the limits of all but the strongest purpose built guns.

in these parts just about every one shoots limited 10.  maybe 5 to 1 to anything else.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
I don't know any thats reloads 9 luger around here.    when you buy in bulk there is only a few cents diffrence between reloaded 9 mm and say win white box.

its like $12/50 or $.24 a shot, where its about $.19 to reload it to simlar specs.

Its like $.12 for the bullet, $.04 for the primer and about $.02 in powder (  a little more then 6 grains of unique, will get you to WW preformance)   bullets from win are about 110/1000, primers are right 40/1000  1 lb of unique is 15-18, and you get about 1100 rounds out of it.  do the math

assuming I can reload 1000 rounds a hour thats only $50 saved.  When you add up your time in collecting the brass, sorting it, cleaning it, then finally reloading it.  its more like 4 hours. 

Honestly for the average hand gun shooter ww will be more then good enough for them in reguards to accuracy.

This is where our country has gone off the rails economically!  And, leave it to TAB for fully bring it out in me  ::) ::)

I pick up my brass at the range - no extra time because it is required at most ranges, and good manors any day; I inspect and sort while in the easy chair relaxing, but I'll let you charge me an hour for 500; cleaning is a zero, because it takes less than a minute to put in the vibrator and a couple minutes to dump and spin; reloading 500 rounds and boxing (covers inspection of finished product) takes an hour; and purchasing supplies is a zero, because it takes no more time than purchasing complete ammunition.  Two hours to go from a pile of dirty brass in a pail to ten boxes of reloads at a savings of $25.00.  That is $12.50 per hour!  I would take far less than that per hour for doing something tied to my hobby.  Actually I pay more than that to participate in the hobby, so why not earn something back from it in my spare time?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 09:56:19 AM »
some people enjoy reloading, others don't

I'm one that does not.  $50 is not worth it to me.  Now a $100 plus is.

I reload for one reason and one reason only.  $$$

I have 3 chambers I like to shoot that are rare.  16 ga 257 weatherby mag and 10mm.  none of them are cheap or even easy to find in many cases.

so there for I reload.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 10:18:03 PM »

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 12:30:40 PM »
Tab, they are shooting 9mm Major out of compensated Glocks!  I will add that the chamber is better supported than factory stock but still a Glock.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »
not in USPSA, it must be 40 or larger.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 07:41:12 AM »
not in USPSA, it must be 40 or larger.

Limited, Limited 10 and Single Stack is limited to .40 for major., but OPEN and REVOLVER minimum for major (and minor) is .38Caliber or 9x19.   See Appendix D1-D6 items 4 & 5.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: 9mm problems
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »
Well, since I'm using floor sweepings for 9mm I've run into some problems with case bulges.

There are a number of threads on this in THR and other forums, no need to rehash all of them.   If you're interested just Google it (or Bing, or Ask, or Yahoo, or DogPile).   I'm not convinced it's caused by one particular gun or even design.   And I don't care, what causes it, really.   I'm not going to pay for 9mm brass and I'm not going to turn down free stuff.  

The long and short, if you've never loaded 9mm and are considering it, is that you need to check your cases after resizing.    you'll need to resize them as one step then check them in a chamber checker.  (or in your guns barrel -- remove from gun first)   Then finished the reloading process sans the resizing die.  (Oh how I love the LnL, cause it only takes seconds to add/remove dies.)

I bought the ECW chamber checker with 7 chambers from Dillion.

And while this slows down the reloading process, with a progressive it still goes pretty fast.    I only have to feed in the cases, the press does the ejecting when they come around to the last station.

Oh and I also discovered that my Lone Wolf 40 to 9mm barrel for my Glock 23 has a "match" chamber.  Meaning it's pretty tight on tolerances.   Some rounds that might just make it through the chamber checker still won't chamber in that barrel.  I corresponded with Wolf and they confirmed that their chambers are NOT "loose".  They will however ream them out to match your ammo for $25.    Just send them 5 resized shells.  I thought that was very cool.   I don't shoot the 23 that much to worry about it and when I do it'll probably be factory ammo.

Will work for ammo

tsgtrt

• TSgt USAF Ret
  • Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 08:49:41 AM »
I love people who leave their brass on the ground at the range.  I pick it all up, keep what I need, give my friends what they can use, and take all the leftovers to a recycling center for a few extra bucks.  Everybody wins and it kees the range clean.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk