Author Topic: Swimming in Brass  (Read 25942 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Swimming in Brass
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »
Sometimes I feel I'm on the verge of going OCD on collecting my brass.  

For years I've tried to keep them in lots of 100 and become very upset when I lose one of them because I either have to replace it with one not in the lot or leave an empty spot in my ammo case!!!!!  And if there was any justice in the world, they would all split or stretch on the exact same firing cycle...but NOOOOOO.....

I've tried all kinds of brass catchers, but they just don't do a very good job unless specifically designed for a particular firearm...and most firearms don't  have them available.

My last "Flight of Fancy" was to envision using some type of enclosure, like those "shower tents" with a fully attached bottom and set it up at the range and shoot out of it, thus keeping all the brass in the enclosure.  Then  you just fold it up and take it all home.

Common Sense has prevented me from implemented that idea....or maybe it was not being able to find a suitable enclosure with an attached floor   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »
Make one.
A PVC frame with a tent type enclosure.
Open rear, front and left side. full right side
Remember weights on windy days.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 10:21:52 AM »
I really needed to  have my psychosis encouraged....

It would have to be completely enclosed.  They would bounce out, ricochet  off the PVC supports, some firearms eject somewhat forward and some pretty far to the rear and high too.  Still would have to have a bottom.  Left side would have to have two overlapping partial covers...maybe 3/4 with the inside being unattached at the bottom but long.  Only the front would have a small opening for shooting and sighting through.

See what you did!!!
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 10:26:05 AM »
Be enclosed will lower the noise signature some what as well.
Did you REALLY expect any of us to say, "Oh, thats a terrible idea" ?
Have you looked at those collapsible Bob Houses for Ice fishing ?
Get one of those and cut a hole in the back .

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 10:35:37 AM »
20 years ago at the first club/range that I was a member of, there was an older gentleman that came out every Saturday afternoon and used the far end shooting position (we left it for him anyway). First order of business for him was to spread a king-sized bed sheet on the ground (with the majority of the sheet to his right side). If it was windy, he had four bricks in his trunk to hold the corners. At the end of his session, 99% of the brass was on the sheet, so he just gathered the corners, picked it all up in the sheet, and dropped it into a bucket....... still in the sheet.

I have done the same thing at home, shooting handguns and also for shotgun shells when shooting skeet.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 07:46:35 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 04:29:24 PM »
I still scrounge for brass when it is avaliable. But I also look for Internet deals. I just bought 2,500 rounds of .223 / 5.56 MM from Brassman Brass out of Las Vegas for only $90.00 including shipping USPS. It was all once fired, but range pick up brass that was dirty. Mel ran it through the dishwasher in zippered mesh bags we use to wash our shotgun hulls in. They came out clean as a whistle. I'll process them later on before reloading them.  Bill T.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »
wait, your wife actually ran something thru the dishwasher?

around these parts I have to wait til shes gone before I can do that.

Pretty much every women I've ever met would kill if stuff was ran thru the dishwasher other then dishes.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »
When we shot trap we washed all our hulls in the dishwasher. Usually around 400 a week. They come out spotless, and you don't gunk up your crimping die. Washing brass before resizing allows the expander plug to pass through much easier.  Bill T.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 08:20:52 PM »
The dish washer works great on motor parts too...   ;)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
For about 10pounds of mixed brass, one of the outdoor ranges I visit will let me shoot free for the day.

And I hit a small jackpot this week.   Somebody left 20 rounds of 45LC.   I bet they were tying out a Taurus Judge.  Now if I can just get them to leave me the other 30 rounds.  ;)
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk