Author Topic: Colt Match Target HBAR or Bushmaster M4 A3 or Smith & Wesson M&P 15???  (Read 33587 times)

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
OK, I've got an opportunity to get either a Bushmaster M4 A3, 16" (removable handle) for $1,099 or a 20" Colt Match Target HBAR (non-removable handle) for $1,269.  I'm partial to the 16" M4 style as I predominantly want the gun for home defense and plinking at the range, but my desire is also to get the AR that has the best overall quality.  I've never owned an AR but with the Obamination coming on January 20th....the time is now.

Please offer any recommendations or experiences anyone has had with either of these two ARs.  One little concern is that Colt offers a lifetime warranty and Bushmaster only one year. I've also tried to get a S&W M&P 15 but have struck out getting one as my local Gander Mountain moves them at about a rate of 4 an hour as soon as they come in and I've never gotten there in time.

I can also wait for another Smith and Wesson M&P 15 flat top to arrive and simply put an EOTech red dot sight on it.  They're going for $899 when Gander Mountain gets them in.  That could be a good solution.

Many thanks
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Colt Match Target HBAR or Bushmaster M4 A3??? Help wanted.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 02:47:57 PM »
My $0.02

If your going to put an optic on it: Bushmaster.
If you might sell it down the road: Colt

Have fun either way.

Ratcatcher 55

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
Re: Colt Match Target HBAR or Bushmaster M4 A3 or Smith & Wesson M&P 15???
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »
I like Colt better than Bushmaster but the M4 with the stock collapsed is a lot easier to manuver indoors. My advice - go somewhere besides Gander Mountain. The last pistol I bought was $200 higher at Gander than at a local gun store.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 888
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 07:27:45 PM »
Based on set up and style, and what you are talking about (home defense) I would go with the 16".  I have a DPMS 20" with fixed handle (DPMS Classic A2), and I love it, but there are advantages to the flat top and shorter barrel.  The Bushmaster you are looking at is on my list to get (if it has collapsing stock).

Price ... know the general range (which is wacking is some areas these days), know your pennies, know what you are willing to spend, and if you can find one that works with these things BUY  IT !!!.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:30:20 PM »
Scuttlebutt around has Bass Pro Shops, "acquiring" Gander Mtn. over the next few months. West Palm Beach's Gander outlet was sold out with no date for re-stocking of 99% of AR varients, mags, accessories, M+P's, DPMS, Colt's all sold out.

Like the HBAR, price for the M+P's always work, to go into the "Bush" will work also. I will throw in my .02 cents as a proud Sig556 owner.

DPMS are harder and harder to find without some serious timing and effort.

Good Luck, The prices for these rifles will be like gas prices this summer. UP an UP.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »
I had an H-Bar like what you described, liked it but my eyes are not what they used to be so had to let it go.  The H-Bar was accurate and reliable.  I now have an Oly w/flattop and 16".  Great rifle.  Have never had a DPMS, don't know much about them.
DesertMarine

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 03:04:30 PM »
DPMS is short for Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services. They used to make a lot of M-16, M-14, and M203 parts for Army contracts before they went into making whole rifles. They know what they're doing. Last year they were bought by Cerberus, the same company that owns Bushmaster, Remington, and Cobb Manufacturing. They're all good brands IMO.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 07:05:04 PM »
From what I hear in these forums, like JumboFranks says they are all pretty good.
DesertMarine

long762range

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »
You really are looking at the whole sprectrum of ARs with the Colt Match Target HBAR or Bushmaster M4 A3 or Smith & Wesson M&P.

The Colt Match Target HBAR is designed for NRA High Power type matches.  Very accurate and a fine rifle.  Heavy and Long.

The Bushmaster M4 A3 is designed for close quarters and close shots.  Short and light.  Also a good choice.

The Smith & Wesson M&P can be had in several configurations and also a fine weapon.

You need to decide what your purpose is for buying an AR.  If you just want to have one you can pick a standard weight and length AR15(20 inch barrel and about 6 1/2 lb).  The price is lower and for plinking at targets, a very satisfactory buy.

I have competed in NRA many NRA matches in the past and used the equivelant of the Colt Match Target HBAR.  I now shoot almost exclusively 3-gun and use a Stag short barrel (16 inch) with a collapseable stock.

Decide the primary use of the weapon then you will be able to pick the one that will make you happy.
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous.  If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 12:30:26 AM »
Yes. Get the one that suits your needs best. Or get two ARs.  ;D  I have a 16" with collapsible stock and "ghost ring" sight for close in work, and a free floated 20" flat top with a scope and bipod. One gun can't fit every need.

BTW, the large aperture peep sight came with my tritium post front sight. Your pupil dilates so much you can't even see through the other hole at night. I have a fake suppressor on the 16" barrel that makes it look like it's a 10" barrel. It should intimidate BGs if they're looking down the muzzle. If not the unsuppressed muzzle flash will.   ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk