Author Topic: Do not catch ejected rounds  (Read 17348 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
Re: Do not catch ejected rounds
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 08:10:07 AM »
Where I have seen this get dangerously close, has been when an ejector is too long or the OAL is too long and there is not enough clearance for the bullet nose to clear the chamber mouth, it will jam the case head against the ejector and trap the whole cartridge sideways. One of my pistols did it while fitting a longer ejector. No boom, but it did dent the outside edge of the primer.

Cartridge flipping is a bad habit, and we don't allow it at our range, it blocks the RO from being intent on the firearm during unloading, places the shooter in a bad position if I had to grab his shoulders to control him, and last, the Newbie sees Grand Master Bob do it, and then tries it, gets confused, and forgets to drop the mag first and pops an uncontrolled round  ( hopefully ) in a safe direction.

I will accept that the Grand Masters have been around long enough to do this safely ... most of the time.  However, I do not like it in anybody.  When I RO I will stop anyone doing this and slow them down.  When I give the command "If finished, unload, show clear, and if clear, hammer and holster."  You do this at my pace, not your speed!

My problem is the same as Bennie stated:  The person without the skills will try to learn or show off, and then we have either embarrassing or dangerous situations.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk