Author Topic: Upcoming Auctions  (Read 71988 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: Upcoming Auctions
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2015, 03:54:38 PM »
I studied micro-econ from a professor who's main area of expertise was auctions.  Long and short people get carried away with the bidding.  And if you're the auction company you do things to encourage this.  If you think, pre-bids are out of hand, in-person bidding can be insane.

A local fishing/hunting/shooting store went under and I went to the on-site auction.  People where paying retail and more for the guns!   Heck the store should just have had a monthly going-out-of-business auction.  They would have made a fortune and only had to be open one night a month.   

I've learned to be patient and let things go if they aren't bargains.  For every gun I win at auction I probably have lost 15 or 20 other bids because I refuse to be caught up in the fever of the moment.  Patience and knowing your prices is VERY important
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »
I studied micro-econ from a professor who's main area of expertise was auctions.  Long and short people get carried away with the bidding.  And if you're the auction company you do things to encourage this.  If you think, pre-bids are out of hand, in-person bidding can be insane.

A local fishing/hunting/shooting store went under and I went to the on-site auction.  People where paying retail and more for the guns!   Heck the store should just have had a monthly going-out-of-business auction.  They would have made a fortune and only had to be open one night a month.   

I've learned to be patient and let things go if they aren't bargains.  For every gun I win at auction I probably have lost 15 or 20 other bids because I refuse to be caught up in the fever of the moment.  Patience and knowing your prices is VERY important

just like buying a used car or a house.  this is what I will pay, let me know yes or no.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2015, 05:58:21 AM »
Hey, I was just looking at that Mateba. Did that fire from the bottom cylinder like the Chiapas Rhino ?
Sure looks that way.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »
Yep fires from the bottom chamber.  Also, since the barrel is so low in the beefed up frame, there's no need for top strap, though some model do.   I think they've been made in .357Mag, .44Mag and .454 Casull.  A rifle version as well.

Will work for ammo

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2015, 12:36:19 PM »
Hey, I was just looking at that Mateba. Did that fire from the bottom cylinder like the Chiapas Rhino ?
Sure looks that way.
same designer
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #125 on: Today at 02:28:53 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2015, 01:50:58 PM »
The most interesting thing about the Mateba is that it's a recoil operated semi-automatic. That's something you don't see very often. I didn't know they made a rifle version. It's a funny looking thing. I read somewhere it was a 12.5" barrel (or an 18" for us).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKQzXlyYDpY

Gun broker has one for sale. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=529233631#PIC
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2015, 03:17:35 PM »
I'd buy it in a heart best, but the $180 export and $250 import & FFL is just a killer.  That and the +$2,000 price.
Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2015, 05:53:07 AM »
You can probably find one in this country. I remember seeing both pistols and rifles in Shot gun News back in the 80's

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2016, 09:06:37 AM »
Jumping the gun a little on this auction since it's not until Feb 25-28th.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/search/aid/1026

Rock Island Auction's Regional Auction.   Nothing terribly outstanding jumps out.  There's a few signal and line throwing cannons and a number of historic machine guns, which unfortunately are declared by BATF to be "unserviceable" (how sad).   The high end is dominated by New Haven Henry and Winchester 1866  lever actions.   The most expensive of which is this engraved one for only about $25,000 if you're so inclined.

Here's an example of a World War I Nurnberg Production Model 08/15 Maxim Machine Gun with Bipod.  "Unserviceable" for about $5,000.

If you're a historical collector, especially World War stuff, then you'll like the U.S. Johnson Automatics Model 1941 Semi-Automatic Rifle for around three grand.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Premiere Firearms Auction - April 29 - May 1, 2016
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2016, 09:17:33 AM »
I've become satiated with auctions, so primarily just following RIA.   That and my priorities are pretty utilitarian these days.

The upcoming Premiere auction has some wonderful historic pieces.   I posted one to Jim Wilson's FB page.  And below is another one.    This auction has "premiere" pieces so typically it's single guns nothing less than ~$1,000.  There are a few lots with multiple guns, but not many.   Cannons, shotguns, and rifles.  Several Liberators and historic 1911's.   It's worth it to peruse the catalog just for the history.

What strikes me odd is the several Colt snake revolvers for <$1,500.  Typically, these sell for two grand or upwards.  So if you've just got to have one then go for it.  Yes, there is a pair of my favorite High Standard Crusaders with matching s/n  44C022 and 45C022.  Sadly, at $2,500+ each they're way beyond my price range.  They'd make a great collectibles and investment, but you wouldn't want to shoot them, even dry fire would be out.   Also sadly, is they are auctioning them separately.  Hate for them to be split up.  Anybody got $10K to loan me?

http://www.rockislandauction.com/search/aid/67

Now if you happen to have a a cool $500,000 just laying around.  How about a Historic Presentation Cased Factory Engraved Colt Model 1849 Pocket Percussion Revolver Inscribed to Latter Day Saint Leader and Utah Territory Governor Brigham Young

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/67/lid/1222

And this bit of history.   The letters are a fascinating history of the old west.

"Exceptional, Historic and Previously Unknown Cuno Helfricht Factory Engraved Colt Single Action Revolver Owned by the Legendary Andrew Robertson, Cattle Baron of West Texas, with Phenomenal Documentation and Consigned Directly from the Robertson Family"

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/67/lid/1251
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk