Author Topic: Why so many hunting shows, and so few shooting shows?  (Read 8208 times)

Motodeficient

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why so many hunting shows, and so few shooting shows?
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:40:46 AM »
After I started listening to Michael Bane's podcasts, I added a package to my Dish programming with the Outdoor Channel, Sportsman Channel, and a couple others.

Michael is constantly saying on his podcasts that the gun industry is becoming more and more of a "shooting" industry compared to the "hunting" industry of years past.

If this is true, why are there so many darn hunting shows on the outdoor channel and the sportsman channel, compared to the number of shooting or gun shows? I love guns, I could watch gun shows all day. But I am not a hunter, and I do not want to watch hunting shows. If Michael is correct, and I believe he is, why aren't these channels following suit?

I am thinking about cancelling this programming, because there just aren't enough shows that I care to watch on these channels.

tombogan03884

Re: Why so many hunting shows, and so few shooting shows?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 08:25:30 AM »
Because a lot of the industry is still stuck in the 50's - 60's mindset of "Sportsmen" means hunting and fishing .

Motodeficient

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »
Yeah, thats what I am saying. But with Michael Bane, a person who really knows the heartbeat of the gun culture, working for Outdoor Channel, you would think they would take the lead and address this programming deficiency and gap in the market.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 08:43:21 AM »
Baby boomers have the most disposable income .
If they are at all into guns they are probably of the same mindset having grown up with "Field and Stream", Fur Fish and Game" etc.
So the networks cater to the people who will most profit their advertisers.
It's changing though.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 09:12:18 AM »
Marketing, marketing, marketing!

The accessory business is much larger in hunting than in competition and self defense.  After that there are all the outfitters, the state and province tourism, and businesses like auto manufactuers, boat builders, and atv companies that advertise their versatility for hunting and fishing.  When was the last time you saw a Chevy pickup ad with a holster on the center counsel, a Ford pickup with an AR or shotgun mount on the dash, or a Dodge with gun storage ... oh wait ... Dodge did put in gun storage, but it is a flip top box on the box side.

Next you face the culture that has us sitting around the Thanksgiving table or the Christmas tree hearing stories of Grandpa and grandma camping, hunting and fishing.  We do not hear much about the time Great Uncle Ed smoked El Presidente.

Outdoor channel advertises their Wednesday Night On The Range, but we have a hard time keeping the hunting shows out.  I am a hunter, and I enjoy the shows, but I wish the industry would step up and provide enough sponsorship to support our shooting shows.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:23:18 AM »

Motodeficient

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 09:15:36 AM »
I understand that. But there is still a disproportionate amount of hunting programming. I'd say between outdoor channel and sportsman channel its 90% programming geared towards hunters. Thats just a guess of course, but I truly doubt that hunting people make up 90% of the firearms industry.

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 10:13:47 AM »
But, yes we did, Moto. My Dad reared me hunting and fishing, back in the days when you could hunt rabbits, quail, pheasants, squirrels, dove and deer IN MARYLAND! I reared my son hunting and fishing, but alas quail and pheasants are but a memory here. My first reason for buying a gun was hunting. I even bought my Super Blackhawk .44mag for hunting as it was the only handgun at the time that was legal for deer here. I've since purchased a defense handgun, but no defense rifles or shotguns. I notice my son, however, is reflective of the changing times. He is more into range shooting both his hunting and self-defense firearms. He and his circle of friends are changing the nature of shooting sports. Accuracy and mating weapon to game was my day. Accuracy and firepower is becoming the charge for my son's day. So be patient, Moto, the programming will change probably as my son's wallet outpaces mine. Until it does, however, spend your money on cartidges, not programming!

And, comes the revolution, all your paper shooting may come in handy if you can stomach cleaning and butchering what you kill. Both are good practice for what seems to be on the horizon.
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »
But, yes we did, Moto. My Dad reared me hunting and fishing, back in the days when you could hunt rabbits, quail, pheasants, squirrels, dove and deer IN MARYLAND! I reared my son hunting and fishing, but alas quail and pheasants are but a memory here. My first reason for buying a gun was hunting. I even bought my Super Blackhawk .44mag for hunting as it was the only handgun at the time that was legal for deer here. I've since purchased a defense handgun, but no defense rifles or shotguns. I notice my son, however, is reflective of the changing times. He is more into range shooting both his hunting and self-defense firearms. He and his circle of friends are changing the nature of shooting sports. Accuracy and mating weapon to game was my day. Accuracy and firepower is becoming the charge for my son's day. So be patient, Moto, the programming will change probably as my son's wallet outpaces mine. Until it does, however, spend your money on cartidges, not programming!

And, comes the revolution, all your paper shooting may come in handy if you can stomach cleaning and butchering what you kill. Both are good practice for what seems to be on the horizon.

Like I posted earlier, old baby Boomers stuck in the 50's and 60's.
Changing health issues, increased demands on free time, population growth leading to greater travel distance, reduced habitat, reduced available land to hunt on and higher costs are all contributing to to the large decrease in hunting over the last 50 years.
The idea of a "hunting lease", for one example, is something I never even dreamed of seeing in the US, but apparently they are fairly common outside New England.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
Moto,

Go back to my first line "Marketing, marketing, marketing."

We can contact Outdoor Channel, and we need to to let them know what we want.  It has power.  Over the years many shows were brought back because public outcry was different than market research.  Touched By An Angel with Michael Landon is a prime example.  However, we need to also contact manufacturers and distributors, and let them know what we think and want.  Those we support will support us if we let them know.

By the way, do you think that Larry and Brenda Potterfield expanded into hunting and camping because the sport shooting, plinking and self defense market are the largest share of firearms and accessories wanted in the market place?

A great place to start with your contacts and the information relayed is that the more general broadcasters are picking up on self defense and sport shooting, but they are doing it as entertainment and whacky reality shows.  Stations like the Outdoor Channel have access to the professionals, like Michael Bane etal, that can produce programing that educates.

Also, let Outdoor Channel know your concern over the lack of programing that you are looking for.  Let Dish, Direct, or your cable provider know the same.  They want your $10 bucks a month for that tier of programming, and they will respond accordingly if enough people push it.

I might just as well keep rambling:  There is a place and a demand for what you ask for.  It is proven by other stations dabbling in it.  However, nobody seems to be able to hold the audience.  Let's get a specialty station like Outdoor to expand.  Express your wishes (have I said that before).
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Motodeficient

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »

The idea of a "hunting lease", for one example, is something I never even dreamed of seeing in the US, but apparently they are fairly common outside New England.

Funny you should mention that. I live in Maine, and was talking with someone at work today that is from Texas. He told me he hunts on a "hunting lease". I didn't know about them either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk