Author Topic: Why so many hunting shows, and so few shooting shows?  (Read 8209 times)

GeorgeCook

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why so many hunting shows, and so few shooting shows?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »
The drift continues....

I was watching last week and Tom Silva outfit a window with a new stool, side and head casing with nothing but a good cross cut saw, rip saw and a decent hand plane.  You couldn't tell the difference between that new work and the other window that was done 150 years ago! 

He really is pretty good at what does...

+10
Tom Silva is badass!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 02:13:24 PM »
Silva, as demonstrated in the Saturday, December 1st episode, is to home improvement programing what Larry Potterfield is to our audience.  Larry can talk sport shooting, hunting, self defense, he is a gunsmith, and a firearms safety guy.  We need more Larry Potterfield, and less ...
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 02:49:15 PM »
Larry never had his brothers house burn down.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 02:54:04 PM »
Larry never had his brothers house burn down.

I understand about Tommy and Dickie's house, but what does that have to do with Larry and his ability to reach a diverse audience?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »
Larry does it with out an insurance settlement.
But how did we go from the Silva's to Larry Potterfield ?

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:53:23 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »
Silvas use modern technology in their business, and they also use old school basic handtools and techniques.  Larry Potterfield will smith with lathes and milling machines, and he will do it hacksaws, files, rasps, and abrasive compounds.

I don't understand your insurance thing, but this is my explanation of the comparison of skills and methods.

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2012, 03:39:21 PM »
What burns my britches about TOH from back in the days of Bob Vila was that it was a DIY show where the phrase "sweat equity" was thrown about with the homeowners.

For quite a while now it has been Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.  My mind was boggled hearing some of the numbers thrown about.  $700,000 for a house and then drop another $250,000 into it.   :o

Norm's New Yankee workshop was all about the product placement for Delta/Porter Cable.  Then he got that widebelt sander by Timesaver.  That's a $10,000 machine.   :o

Getting back more on topic...

The hunting shows are kind of like a self licking icecream cone.  Look at how many of them are at hunting lodges or CRP's.  You just gotta know that the show's staff is getting their stay at whatever XYZ lodge "comp'ed".  In exchange, the hunting lodge gets a bunch of "free" advertising.

Anywhooo... Long story short, the purpose of any medium is to sell you something.

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2012, 03:51:25 PM »
Back to the drift..
I still can't stand Bob Villa.. The guy got pissed every time somebody asked him to get his hands dirty..
He was much more "at home" on Home Improvements with Tim Allen..
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
Tyler,

Your statement goes all the way back to one of my early comments:  Tell the advertisers what you like.  Anybody that is marketing is looking to reach their audience, and don't fall for the belief that it is a set formula that will not pay attention to you.

tombogan03884

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »
Back to the drift..
I still can't stand Bob Villa.. The guy got pissed every time somebody asked him to get his hands dirty..
He was much more "at home" on Home Improvements with Tim Allen..

I hated Vila on Home Improvement as well.
Remember the Hot Rod build off episode ?
They had Tim in a " built" hot rod.
Vila was in a factory Dodge Prowler.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk