Author Topic: The Battery Thread.  (Read 3404 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
The Battery Thread.
« on: July 21, 2023, 01:26:53 AM »
I have a few things to post about different kinds of batteries, so I'm putting them all in one thread. Some of this information should be useful to someone.

First off is the good old CR123A battery, AKA CR123, 123, 2/3A, and a few other names. It's a very common lithium battery the same diameter as, and 2/3 the length of a single A battery. They're 3.6 volts for the lithium ion, and 3V for plain lithium cells. If you use a tactical light like a Surefire, you probably use these. If you can't get your hands on them, you find any of these 2CR5 or CR-P2 battery packs for cameras on clearance sale, or otherwise have them in your possession, you can take them apart and use the 2 CR123A cells inside. Just cut them open, starting at the bottom so you don't short them out, and pull the metal tabs off them. One guy found them on sale for half the price of CR123A batteries, making it worth the trouble of taking them apart.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: The Battery Thread.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 01:55:09 AM »
14500, or Lithium-ion AA batteries are the same size as regular AA batteries, but they're 3.7 volts. That may be enough to burn out LEDs and regular flashlight bulbs, but someone came out with another version of them. KENTLI  Lithium Ion Polymer batteries charge at 3.7 volts, but discharge at a constant rate of 1.5 volts, giving you an extended run time on anything that takes AA batteries. I just ordered them for my EDC flashlight that uses one AA battery, because I don't think it could handle a 3.7 volt lithium battery. They're $39.99 for a set of 4 batteries and charger on Amazon. Since they can be recharged up to a thousand times, this will be a fraction of the cost of constantly replacing AA alkaline or other types of batteries. Plus I'll have full brightness on my light until it dies, instead of it constantly fading. This guy got 10-15 minutes of use with 4 AA batteries in his ATN X-Sight Day & Night Vision Rifle Scope before the voltage dropped too low and it shut off. But these KENTLI batteries are good for at least 7-8 HOURS before they shut off. They also make a charger that's a flashlight. It van charge 1-4 batteries at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H3DOV8I

https://www.amazon.com/KENTLI-3000mWh-Li-polymer-rechargeable-flashlight/dp/B019O3ST6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BapoAPY1N-k
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 03:04:06 AM »
I have an old 2 C cell Maglite that I upgraded with Nite Ize High Power LED Upgrades. I have a 74 lumen LED with a 50,000 hour life in the light, and a 55 lumen LED with a 100,000 hour life as a spare in the tail cap. These are made to convert most C & D 2-6 cell incandescent flashlights with a PR style flange bulb. Nothing like it for screw-in bulbs. Since they can handle the voltage of more batteries than the 2 C cells I normally used in it, I came up with something better. Instead of more batteries, I use different batteries in this flashlight now. They're 26500 (26x50.0mm) batteries, about the same dimensions as a C cell, 26.2 × 50 according to the list of battery sizes at Wikipedia. But instead of 1.5 volts, they're 3.6 volt, 9000 mAh lithium thionyl chloride batteries. I bought 2 4-packs with solder tabs on them that were $1.10 apiece cheaper than the 4-packs without the tabs. Since they're a little shorter than C cells, I folded the tabs into little squares and left them attached, until one broke off. Even if I pull the tabs off, they're still long enough to work.

I originally bought these batteries to replace 4 AAA batteries in a plastic holder the size of a C cell, but slightly longer, in a $5.99 JobSmart 500 Lumen Aluminum Flashlight from Tractor Supply Co. Since the leads on my multi-meter were both broken at the time and I couldn't check the voltage, I just assumed that it was a pair of batteries in series, in parallel with the other pair. Wrong! They were all in parallel. So the 6 volt flashlight has the run time of AAA batteries which is 1,200 mAh for alkaline batteries. I'm running one of these 3.6 volt batteries in it and it's not as bright, but at 9000 mAh, one of these batteries should last 7.5 times longer than 4 AAAs. If I had to replace 4 batteries 7-8 times, say 30 AAA batteries, instead of one of these, that would get expensive AND be a pain in the butt. If it was only 3 volts, like I thought it was before I soldered the leads back onto the plugs of my multi-meter, the 3.6 volt battery would have made this into a 6 buck "tactical" flashlight. With a $7.67 battery. :) But they'll last way longer than AAAs, and they work great in the Maglite, so it wasn't a waste of money. I also refuse to run 3 AAA batteries in a plastic holder as anything other than a field expedient in my flashlights that also take an 18650 (18x65.0mm) battery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes#

https://niteize.com/high-power-led-upgrade#product_subtype=351

https://www.amazon.com/EEMB-Li-SOCl2-Chloride-Certified-Batteries/dp/B07VGHC28B

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/jobsmart-500-lm-blue-aluminum-flashlight-jc-tsc-4103

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 03:20:20 AM »
Whether you know it or not, many tactical flashlights are "dual fuel". They can use 2 CR123A batteries, 17x34.5mm, 69mm total length, or a single 18650 battery. The 1mm of extra width is almost always there, and the springs can make up for the 18650 being 4mm shorter. That's less than the diameter of a BB (4.5mm). If you use an 18650 battery, it's only 3.7 volts, compared to the 6 volts you get from a pair of CR123A batteries. It's all about compromise, brightness or run time. Good ones like SureFire 123A batteries have a 10-year shelf life, but only last a couple hours (depending on the light), and they're disposable, while the 18650s can be recharged over and over again.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 02:13:57 PM »
I bought a new Streamlight ProTac 2L-X back at Christmas that uses the 18650 which is like two of the CR123 batteries.
Along with the order, I purchased two of Streamlight's rechargeable 18650 batteries. They are internally regulated and charge via a standard cell phone charging cable.
So far, so good
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:16:21 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 06:51:07 PM »
I bought a new Streamlight ProTac 2L-X back at Christmas that uses the 18650 which is like two of the CR123 batteries.
Along with the order, I purchased two of Streamlight's rechargeable 18650 batteries. They are internally regulated and charge via a standard cell phone charging cable.
So far, so good

I thought I had a battery somewhere around here that charges via Micro-USB like that, but it doesn't. It's an OrcaTorch that I bought at SunnySports when I got some camping gear on sale. Then I bought another one with a charger from them too, because the charger for my cheap flashlights... well, it's a cheap charger. It has a spring-loaded adjustable + tab for different size batteries and it's really short, so I use a zip tie to keep the battery from flying out while it's charging. OrcaTorch, as the name suggests, specializes in diving flashlights. It's a 3000mAh battery instead of 2600mAh like the Streamlight and some of my others. They're actually 18.6x69mm, not 18x65, but most flashlights built for 18650 batteries give you plenty of leeway on the length, and it's only 4mm over. I just bought 10 generic batteries on Amazon that claim to be 9900mAh, but they're probably exaggerating by 3 or 4 times. 

https://www.orcatorch.com/product/18650-Battery-3000mAh.html

https://www.sunnysports.com/

That sounds like the 1,000 lumen light I have on my Mech-Tech CCU. The 18650 battery is very close to the size of 2 CR123s, but like I said, they're 3.7 volts, and 2 of the CR123s make 6 volts. I bought a 500 lumen NcSTAR tactical light for my VRF14 and it takes either kind of battery, but the 18650 is 1mm too wide to fit in the battery compartment of the NcSTAR 45-90-45 degree side-angling foregri. If I have to use the spare batteries, I want to be able to put the used ones back in the grip, so I bought a 12 pack of SureFire 123s on Amazon. Streamlights come in 12 packs too. I like to stick with good brands on smaller disposable batteries, and buy them someplace that sells a lot so I know they're fresh. I'm not so fussy on the bigger batteries I can recharge hundreds of times, but when I saw a good price on OrcaTorch I had to try them.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 07:00:40 PM »
I forgot to post that before the Nite Ize LED upgrade, the 2 C cell Maglite put out 30 lumens. At least that's what they're claiming now. Curiously the 2 D cell flashlight has 10% LESS lumens than the 2 C light. Just swapping the bulb to an LED makes them both twice as bright, but nowhere near a regular LED flashlight. The LED with a blue flashlight in the picture is the less expensive and longer lasting one. I almost didn't get the other one but it's a noticeable improvement in brightness, even in broad daylight.

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023, 05:51:01 PM »
My 30 year old Maglight didn’t improve much with 55 bulb.

It’s always been an excellent club!  😆

I carry Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA…about ten years now!  They also make an excellent gift!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023, 08:50:30 PM »
My 30 year old Maglight didn’t improve much with 55 bulb.

It’s always been an excellent club!  😆

I carry Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA…about ten years now!  They also make an excellent gift!

Got one of those also (after Alf's recommendation a few years ago)....excellent light....... I keep it in my truck bag with a few spare batteries.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2023, 10:17:46 AM »
The beauty of the SL 1L-1AA is that they normally are not a sub for each other, one being larger around, shorter and twice the voltage of the other.  But SL found a way both physically and electrically to use either in one compact light.  Normally carry it with the CR123 for max brightness, but in a pinch you can sub the ever ubiquitous AA. 

The problem with rechargeable is, well you have to recharge them.  That takes time.  If they’re replaceable, and in some lights they’re not, they’re built in, and you have a convenient spare nearby then you’re good,  otherwise it’s just like EVs, you’ll do without until it’s charged.

I think there’s got to be a market for utility vehicles with a 1 minute battery swap.  Think the river boats at Disney World.  12+ hour work day with no down time to charge. 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk