Author Topic: $hucks it is cold...  (Read 1595 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: $hucks it is cold...
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2024, 07:24:36 AM »
I hope it stays above freezing  here.  Other wise all this snow is going to trun into nasty ice/mud
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2024, 10:27:19 AM »
Although it is supposed to get below freezing for a few days here in SUNNY warm-ish Savannah, GA, I do remember the days - and nights - of moving snow at -28F by hand and small machine in ND. The transformer that blew leaving us without power (i.e., electric heat) for 3 days - at 0F. Not to mention the 40' of snow we got in back to back blizzards in 2010, right at New Year's. Of course, being ND, they had it cleared in no time, but while it was going on (the blizzards started Wednesday afternoon, quit Thursday afternooon, restarted late Thursday night and petered out Saturday morning), I-94 was shut down and there was a nasty pileup on 94 just outside my little town (1 fatality, a truck driver trying to help one of the motorists). But by Sunday night (New Years Eve), the roads were clear, the highways opened and Fargo open for celebrations.

That was 13 years ago. Don't miss it either, but having just returned from Hawaii, even 25F is tough to take.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2024, 10:08:28 PM »
It was 21° this morning.....we're about 60 miles north of the GA/FL border...or about 200 miles south of Alf.
It got a little colder than earlier predicted but once it gets that cold a few degrees isn't much to feel....but, those few degrees CAN mean the difference in frozen pipes and such. It's a matter of time as to how long it stays below freezing.
It's supposed to get into the low 50's for the high today and right back down in the 20's again tonight.
It doesn't do this often here (Once last year it got into the teens for a day) but I'm thinking of investing in a few Freeze Misers to put on several water spigots around the farm.

https://www.freezemiser.com/

I thought about buying a Freeze-Proof Faucet before. When you turn the knob it doesn't shut the water off outside. It shuts it off about a foot and a half away, inside the house where it's nice and warm. But I never use my outside faucet in winter, so I just turn it off in the basement and open the faucet outside to try to drain it. Actually, I keep it turned off all the time when I'm notusing it, so no one else can use it. I used to put a Styrofoam faucet cover with a foam rubber seal over it, but don't think I've done that in a few years.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2024, 10:11:11 PM »
I may have to reconsider what parallel I'm willing to live.  Understanding more every year why FL is a retirement haven.  Maybe below the 29th or 28th, or even with Kevin down near the 26th.

Florida is where old people go to die. Like the legendary elephants' graveyard, but for smaller gray animals.  ;)
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2024, 10:19:48 PM »
It's 9 degrees here at a quarter after 11 pm. 100% cloud cover, 80% humidity, and it feels like 3 below. The humidity in my house is barely half of what it is outside. It actually feels comfortable at 68 dgrees because I still have my boots on. If my feet got cold I might have to turn it up to 70. I like 30-40% humidity.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:22:25 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2024, 01:34:15 PM »
I found my electronic luggage scale and weighed my imitation Bunny Boots in 2 plastic grocery bags. They each take up a whole bag, and the pair weighs 3.0 kg, 6.6 pounds according to my scale. Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his moccasins. and hope you don't have to walk a mile in his bunny boots.

Real Mickey Mouse boots weigh around 5.5 pounds, and Bunny Boots are heavier at about 6.5 pounds. I think that's for a size 9, so mine really are about as heavy as the real thing. They have fake valves molded into them above the outer ankle. On the real boots, you open the valves while in an unpressurized aircraft so they don't balloon up, and keep the valves closed at all other times. They have lugs on the heels that fit G.I. ski bindings. I saw an arctic operations TM in the army where they showed a bunch of guys skijoring behind a snowmobile. It looked like fun, and a lot better than XC skiing, which is how one of my cousins used to get to work in winter, but it was only 1/3 of a mile. I have a pair of surplus snowshoes in the basement that are made of magnesium instead of wood, and the webbing is plastic coated stainless steel aircraft cable instead of rawhide. Pretty neat, but made for a maximum of 200 pounds IIRC. Maybe less. I threw away the crappy bindings that came with them and put a different kind with Fastex buckles, and a leather piece over the toes on. My ex has an identical pair and probably hasn't used them once.

It's 35 right now and supposed to get up to 38 later today, then in the 40s for 4 days, then up in the 50s. God I love global warming! I haven't shoveled my sidewalk yet this winter, but there was one time I should have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skijoring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2j9qeFV028

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2024, 12:14:22 PM »
Consumers Energy announced plans on April 5, 2023 to install 123 new automatic transfer reclosers (ATRs) in 2023 to help prevent power outages and improve electric reliability for customers in my part of the state. They already had nearly 470 of these 800-pound devices currently on the electric system, so there are around 600 of them now. Helping to keep me warm this winter. I imagine DTE Energy (formerly Detroit Edison) and other energy companies are doing the same thing in the rest of the state. These may be operating when my power blinks off just for a moment.

It's supposed to be in the low 50s Thursday and Friday, then back down to the 40s. Still not bad for mid-winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf-aIu2KnuE

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2024, 09:38:27 AM »
It's still winter for 2 1/2 more weeks, but it's not cold anymore. It's getting up to 68 degrees today. I guess it's safe to take the snow plow off my ATV now. I didn't use it all winter. I have a snow shovel downstairs that I never took out of the basement all winter too.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2024, 02:35:41 PM »
It's still winter for 2 1/2 more weeks, but it's not cold anymore. It's getting up to 68 degrees today. I guess it's safe to take the snow plow off my ATV now. I didn't use it all winter. I have a snow shovel downstairs that I never took out of the basement all winter too.

Drove up from the grocery store this afternoon and the thermometer was saying 72.  If this is fake Spring, that's okay.  As long as it doesn't pop back to real Winter.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2024, 07:09:30 AM »
We have had snow, got about 6" yesterday
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk