Author Topic: AR Cleaning Kit  (Read 3867 times)

Combustion

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR Cleaning Kit
« on: October 07, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
Hey guys I'm looking for a little advice. I just picked up my first AR yesterday so I am pretty new to the AR world. My new Ar is a Noveske N4 light-basic. Anyways now for the question, I am looking for a good all around cleaning kit. I am not sure whether to try an put one together my self (and if so anything special I need) or to buy a full kit.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: AR Cleaning Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:38:33 PM »
In my limited experience, a surplus kit (roughly $20) and a bore snake ($20ish) have worked for me, but I will defer to others here with more experience than myself.
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »
I have bore snakes for all my guns for a quick wipe of the bore, and use a Hoppes or Outers universal gun cleaning kit to really clean them. Military bore brushes won't fit those rods without an adapter since they use a different kind of threads, but the civilian brushes and rods are all interchangeable. I also have a Cylinder & Slide Dunk-Kit bucket of solvent that I can soak parts and pistols in.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Lmccrock

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:15:56 PM »
Mostly, same as any rifle. One piece rod, jag, pull, bronze or nylon bore brush. Hoppes #9 solvent, and Mobil 1 for lube. I use Breakfree CLP at matches for convenience. I have a chamber brush, but I never use it.

Lee

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:18:30 PM »
I have bore snakes for all my guns for a quick wipe of the bore, and use a Hoppes or Outers universal gun cleaning kit to really clean them. Military bore brushes won't fit those rods without an adapter since they use a different kind of threads, but the civilian brushes and rods are all interchangeable. I also have a Cylinder & Slide Dunk-Kit bucket of solvent that I can soak parts and pistols in.

I'd go with a full deluxe kit...but I'm meticulously ticky with my cleaning anyway. I like little picks and brushes for every nook and crevice and so on.

JumboFrank, since you mentioned it (to keep from starting another thread on cleaning) does the dunk-kit work well (worth the $$)?

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:00:07 AM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Hello Combustion, Welcome to a great forum. Congrats on your AR. Cleaning is like the shampoo bottle instructions; Clean, Shoot, Lube, Repeat,....... I still have my grandfathers Brite-Bore Cleaning Kit from the 1950's, I also use Aero-Kroil, Hoppes, and Gun Butter.

Any and all attention given to a rifle goes a long way, Bore-Snakes are great, follow the manual, and enjoy.

Good Shooting (and cleaning).

PS,.. previous posts mention ATF fluid,....For some of my firearms, that I can't shoot as often as I would like, because ammo costs are killing me (example .45LC).  ATF is a great light wipe.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:38:07 PM »
I'd go with a full deluxe kit...but I'm meticulously ticky with my cleaning anyway. I like little picks and brushes for every nook and crevice and so on.

JumboFrank, since you mentioned it (to keep from starting another thread on cleaning) does the dunk-kit work well (worth the $$)?

The jury is still out but so far it seems good. I've only used it a few times. If it doesn't remove the crud, it at least loosens it up good and a toothbrush knocks it right off. It seems to work good on trigger mechanisms and internal parts that are hard to get to. I haven't cleaned a really dirty bore with it yet because I've barely fired a shot since I got it. That will be the real test. Until then I can't say if it's worth the cost, but I do like being able to toss something in and soak it. I'll try doing a bolt carrier in it if I ever get to the rifle range.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Combustion

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 11:46:48 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys its be helpful.

I know, I know posting a thread talking about a new firearm without pics should be a crime so I will try and get pics up as soon as I can find the camera.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
The jury is still out but so far it seems good. I've only used it a few times. If it doesn't remove the crud, it at least loosens it up good and a toothbrush knocks it right off. It seems to work good on trigger mechanisms and internal parts that are hard to get to. I haven't cleaned a really dirty bore with it yet because I've barely fired a shot since I got it. That will be the real test. Until then I can't say if it's worth the cost, but I do like being able to toss something in and soak it. I'll try doing a bolt carrier in it if I ever get to the rifle range.

Thanks for the info.

I know nothing takes the place of a good scrubbin' (which is my routine anyway)....but I was thinkin' the dunk-kit might help 'loosen' up things a little better before cleaning a 'well-shot' firearm.
I have used Kroil and even PB Blaster in the past (both work well, but run off too quick). It would seem to be better to submerge the gun and soak it.
 8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk