Author Topic: Large caliber sniper rifle flexes when fired  (Read 3049 times)

Ocin

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Large caliber sniper rifle flexes when fired
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:32:29 PM »
For all of you who like to fire large caliber sniper rifles: this is what you do with your gun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask

;D
Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.
Gandhi, An Autobiography, p. 446 (Beacon Press paperback edition)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
Re: Large caliber sniper rifle flexes when fired
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 02:55:33 PM »
Great video. I thought it was just the G-forces of the recoil that ate scopes. I didn't know they flopped around like rubber.  :o
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 12:50:05 AM »
Most calibers do this to some degree, the .50 is a excellent example at the extreme end, but your old 06, does it too. A good friend had a front grip bolt action handgun built by Riley Gilmore for the masters tournament, and when he showed it to me, I remarked on how close the scope was to the barrel, a dollar bill would barely slide between the objective lens and the barrel,  10 shots later, the objective lens shattered and the tube had a dent in it, right above the barrel. Expansion and contraction, barrel whip, barrel flex, it moved enough to contact the scope and it was a .243 !
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 12:23:20 PM »
Probably in danger of hijacking a thread, but after several looks at this, and I've enjoyed it, I started to think of the power of words.  What is a "sniper rifle," and is the wording any different than "assault weapon?" 

In firearm safety we use the studdy that shows in our Nation 11% of the population has a positive outlook on hunting and shooting sports, 9% has a negative outlook and 80% has no strong oppinion other than how we sway them.  These numbers are from a study a few years ago that the Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources looked at, and even if they aren't exactly on they do show the posibilities.  By using the word "sniper" to describe a gun that is built to be accurate and can be shot well, are we instilling the wrong picture in the minds of both the 9% and the 80%.  I tell those in class that most of the items listed in the "so called assault weapon ban" were either cosmetic or items that improved accuracy.  I than joke that if it is scary looking or highly accurate some in or Government don't think we should have it (by this point in the class we have discussed much of shooting positions and the fundimentals of shooting).

Just spouting off on the spin on classifications like Sniper and AWB.

Thud ...

The sound you just heard was me falling off my ammo box.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Ocin

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »

Thud ...

The sound you just heard was me falling off my ammo box.

I hope it didn't fall on your toe?  ;D

I think one could consider it a hijack of a thread, but I have to say that you make a good point. The only "real" assault rifle I know about is the WW2 German made Stg44 Sturmgewehr (literally: storm rifle, assault rifle). And as for a sniper rifle: you might add a scope and a silencer to an MP5 and create a (short range) sniper rifle, but only very few would place such a combination in the category of sniper rifles. It is like you said: these words, sniper rifle and assault rifle will be used by certain people to create fear for those rifles so that the large masses will be more receptive to their ideas ad plans for gun control.
Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.
Gandhi, An Autobiography, p. 446 (Beacon Press paperback edition)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:49:21 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 02:23:13 AM »
Ocin, you stole MY usual rant (Because my AK is  an StG 2000  ;D )
Sniper rifle NO , Precision Rifle YES Gun nut NO  Firearms enthusiast  YES ( Although I like "Civil Rights activist as well  ;D )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk